Can I use JG Hy Guard oil in my hydro?
From the Deere website: – Hy-Gard hydraulic/transmission oil provides the best performance and wear protection for John Deere hydraulic and transmission systems. – Recommended for equipment with either common system reservoirs or separate transmission and hydraulic systems, including those with wet brakes and wet clutches. I've used it in many different machines, hydraulic, hydrostatic, powershift, all good. That's just my experience though.
You could put milk,beer, paint....anything you want in there. What model are we talking about here? J and K dozers use 10w30 which is probably cheaper than hygard.
I have a 750cII.I have a lot of new Hy Guard 5wt. Looking to use it if possible.Thanks for all the reply's.
Whoa there, better check with your Deere dealer, aren't the 750's all Hydrostats? I think they take a special fluid in the drives. I could be wrong but that's what I remember.
JD dozers with hydrostatic trans use a type a transmission oil (similar to Ford ATF) oil with a higher moisture retain factor. You can use light grade engine oil or hydraulic oil at your own risk, it may not be compatible with the oil used at present in the transmissions. You do NOT want to have any lubrication issues with the transmission unless you just won the lottery. Hydrostatic JD's had a separate reservoir for hydraulic oil, they ran vane pump, open centre hydraulics and were reasonably tolerant of oil types, any good quality hydraulic oil of 10 to 20W ( depending on your ambient temperature) that is rated for vane pumps should cause no problems. Gary
It would be good to know what you got in it if your topping it off. If your doing a change 10W-30 is what I use. I also have 750C series II. Deere service told me either would work but they have had very good luck just using a premium 10W-30. If you blow a line it's pretty easy to find!
I was discussing lubricants with a tribologist some years ago and he told me that hydraulic oil have additives to provide the specialized lubricating qualities required by pumps, I think he said cadmium or maybe zinc. He also said that the ash dispersants and other additives in engine oils are not considered advisable in hydraulic systems. My own experience bears tis out. I used to service equipment that came with engine oil in the hydraulic system, the vane pumps were being replaced (vane tip and cam ring wear) at around 3000 hours. We had occasion to change out the hydraulic oil on one unit and as we were short on engine oil we used hydraulic oil. The pump on that unit did not require repair until around 5000 hours, as a result we used hydraulic oil for further refills and found the same results. JD750's have vane pumps. Gary