Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere Engine Codes

partsandservice · 2012-08-20 08:18

I am working on a JD 648GIII skidder. the code F 536 does not show up in any of my ref. material. Can anyone help me with this code definition. It has the tier three egr engine. Thanks

Replies71
  1. #1tool_king2012-08-20 16:40

    The code meaning for F536 is turbocharger inlet temperature sensor.

  2. #2partsandservice2012-08-20 18:27

    Thanks Tool King. That sensor is located in the air intake and is a two wire sensor and should b,e easy to run down. Thanks again.

  3. #3tool_king2012-08-21 00:47

    You are welcome.

  4. #4partsandservice2012-08-22 20:14

    Return wire broken inside insulation right at plug .open circuit the reason for code.

  5. #5tool_king2012-08-22 23:16

    That is great that you found the problem .Where you able to delete the code in your skidder?

  6. #6partsandservice2012-08-24 08:24

    I was not able to clear the codes. I do not believe it is possible with the monitor on this model with out the service advisor program. However, the code(s) went inactive after the repair as I no longer have the service warning light on. I found a similar wire proplem to the fuel temp sensor (f424). WIF sensor(f410). After rebuilding this engine I also had F 435, pump position sensor. It could also be called a cam sensor I guess as the idler gear and the cam gear are the same size and the sensor picks up on notches on the back side of the idler gear. To fix this code I had to tear down the front of the engine because I did not realize the idler gear had to be timed on the first go round. I have built two other 6.8 egr engines but did not have to have block work on the others so I did not have take down the front gear train. I did it like the old engines and timed the cam with a string and dropped in the idler gear. I will not make that mistake again. 0

  7. #7tool_king2012-08-24 23:03

    Does your monitor just have a select button or four little button menu,back,next and select? If it does have one select button you need a laptop with software like pockett fleet dianose and interface with nine pin deutsch plug .If it has four buttons .Hold down the menu button and turn key on or hold menu and next till service menu shows up than you can clear codes.Call me on my cell at 1-201-832-1606 on Saturday can better explain this to you. THANKS ED

  8. #8Drifter2012-08-28 11:29

    You don't have to delete the code. Once you fix the problem the code becames stored. Deleting it does nothing.

  9. #9tool_king2012-08-29 20:11

    If you leave the codes stored you will not know when they were stored if machine fixes itself.Just delete them and start fresh.

  10. #10Drifter2012-08-29 22:35

    I have never been to a machine with out stored codes. Deleting them does nothing. Newer monitors tell you at what hours the codes set anyways. Service advisor will tell you the hours as well.

  11. #11partsandservice2012-08-30 10:25

    After returning to woods I am getting more engine codes and derate. F560, F528 which I have no description for. And F435,F438, and F437 these are related to the position sensors, one saying no signal from crank position and I believe the other two are a result of the first. Thanks in advance for your help. Oh yea, F475 which tells me the the engine is derating, just not the circuit at fault specifically.

  12. #12tool_king2012-08-31 23:44

    Drifter you are correct with the new monitors.But on the old monitors their no way to read codes .If they happened and got stored with out a laptop.Plus when you don't have service advisor or latop wth you in the wood .It is no help.

  13. #13partsandservice2012-09-01 17:15

    got the engine position codes resolved, and found the wire I solderded on the turbo inlet temp sensor had come loose. I fine with the codes only going inactive, I just want it to pull wood. I have investigated getting service advisor in the past . The john deere dealer would not sell it to me and the other option was order the program out of asia I believe. Has anyone heard of this?

  14. #14tool_king2012-09-01 22:56

    Pocket Fleet Diagnose works with John Deere equipment.This what I use .Works good on all types of equipment and trucks . You need a interface like a Nexiq Magikey or USB Link .With laptop or tablet .I think their is a smart phone app for it also.What is the software program that you said is out of Asia?

  15. #15partsandservice2012-09-04 08:26

    It is service advisor. But I did not order it because I was not confident that it was legal. Did not know if it was pirated or not. They do claim that it does not expire, but I am sure it could not be updated. Think I am going to try the Pocketfleet, it does not seem to be overpriced and would work with cummins and cat.

  16. #16partsandservice2012-09-06 08:32

    Tool King , it says your pm is full so I was unable to send. Got to the bottom of the F528 and F560 . they were related to the VG turbo position. the Vg fins were stuck cause a position code and a derate.

  17. #17tool_king2012-09-06 10:13

    partsandservice I deleted some stuff please resent that about service advisor .You can also email it to me at [email protected] THANKS ED

  18. #18equip guy2012-09-12 21:08

    Parts and service do you have the operations and diagnostic tests book or CD?? for that skidder or were you referring to the code list reference in the operators manual ?

  19. #19partsandservice2012-09-13 19:26

    equip guy, I have operations and diagnostic cd for 648GIII. But it does not cover this engine, it covers the next level down which I believe would be called a teir two engine. I also have ctm 331 which covers the common rail feul system with electronic injectors but does not cover the VG turbo. The F528 and F560 codes related the turbo fin position. I found the the vg part of the turbo stuck. I removed the linkage from the control/sensor and found it not to be locked up, however the other side was. Replaced turbo with a used unit I had and it went to work. The turbo had been replaced by the dealer a couple of days before I got in on it. I have not had a chance to disassemble the almost new turbo, but I think I am going to find pieces of the number four piston that the top came off of. By the way, this dealer had put three turbos on this machine in less than a week. as well as six injectors and a high pressure pump trying to make it run right. The final conclusion was that the customer needed a new engine. The customer only paid for one turbo. Normally a engine rebuild by me would require a new turbo or rebuilt turbo, we tried to let this slide because the turbo was so new and there was no visable damage to the turbine part and the turbo cost over 3 grand. I got the clean up job on this one but work is work and with mouths to feed I will take it without any of that" you should have brought it here first" stuff. On a side note, JD specs call for valve lash to .014 IN and .018 exhaust which is the same as the 12 valve engines. These engines are dropping valves left and right and when new or set to this spec I can hear noise on the top that makes my skin crawl, cause I know that valve drop is coming. All of these engines that leave my shop are being set to .010 IN and .014 EX . All that clack noise going on between the bridges,rockers, and valves is gone. The engines now sound like thay should.

  20. #20equip guy2012-09-17 23:10

    I know what you mean about work and mouths to feed. Is this the same engine you had a lttle while ago with the "fuel wash" problem with a few of the cylinders? I got that same D-Tac bulliten of the rusted VGT's. Do you know if they recalibrated the actualtor when they replaced the turbo? You would hope they would, but with so many parts swapped out in desparation you never know. The turbo can get screwed up instantly if they didn't do it before powering up as I'm sure you already know. Is the tier II in the 04-06 year? if so I might have that CTM for that engine. Actually It covers the 4 and 6 cyl engines. I can check the application guide tomorrow to see if that applies to your set up. If so I'll set you up for what ever you may need. Also let me know what level number for the system. Also I too had valve problems with one customers engine, I set the valves the same as you did. I just posted my problem for an actuator communication error on the agricultural equipment forum, should have posted on shop talk. Check it out and let me know your thoughts. Thanks

  21. #21partsandservice2012-09-18 09:12

    Equip guy, This is the same type engine but not the same engine. Not having good access to JD literture I am not sure what level I need, but I will try to find out. Thanks

  22. #22equip guy2012-09-24 20:38

    partsand service, I looked in the shop and found the engine manual for that machine (direct drive right?) I also just ordered today a CTM fuel system book (level 14 4 valve w/denso pump). Cost me 150 bucks! Anyway if that will help you too let me know what info I can get for ya to help with your project. Good luck.

  23. #23random_farmhick2012-10-26 22:26
  24. #24tool_king2012-10-27 00:30

    random_farmhick Does you tractor have a nine pin Deutsch .Than it hould work.It will read trans codes if you set to read them .It will work with both the engine and other module controll items . I have used on excavators,wheel loader and bulldozers also on Case equipment and other brands. I have not had the chance to test on John deere tractor.What model tractor do you have ? I will see if someone around here has one that I can test it on.

  25. #25random_farmhick2012-10-27 08:42

    What I plan on working on does have the nine pin on it. I'm looking everywhere from like the 8100's to the new 9r tractors. I'm lookin at getting an independent repair shop going and dont want the new technology to slow me down. I also really dont want to spend alot of money on something that will not work. If you could check on a tractor for me that would be excellent, Just try it on like a 6220 or newer first. Thanks

  26. #26kevinc16502012-10-30 19:23

    Is there anything that will work on the 4045 - 4.5 J/D motors? Its has the hook up on the engine. I work for a rental company and it gets old trying to get J/D out every time to see what wrong with the engine. Just asking.

  27. #27tool_king2012-10-30 22:39

    Hi Kevin Pocket fleet will work on John Deere 4045 engine .I have good luck with it working on gensets,backhoes and so on.Please call me tomorrow at 1-201-832 -1606 work cell. I can better help you over the phone with info on this .What kind of machine is this engine in?Also what rental company do you work ? THANKS ED

  28. #28deereman12852013-03-12 21:54

    I have a 2005 JD 450J LGP Dozer. I am getting an F465 error code, intake manifold temp voltage too high. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? it does this intermittently, sometimes on a cold start, warm or not at all occassionally. Sounds like a loose wire to me but wanted to see if anyone else has ever had the same problem before running it down. Also where is this sensor located? Thanks in advance

  29. #29carmat24122014-07-04 08:19

    Hi, i have the f475 service code on mi backhoe 410g, can somebody help me? In the manual say temperature fuel high voltage input, and the motor engine is derating what supoused i have to do?

  30. #30ANDREW C2014-07-05 00:31

    Fuel temp sender is on the injection pump. Its a two wire connector. Not the big connector but the smaller one. Check wiring and ohm check your sender. Supply voltage is 5 volts. Id assume a short in the wiring/ sensor and ecm is seeing 5 volts on return setting code.

  31. #31carmat24122014-07-05 07:55

    Thanks andrew, I'll check, now for some reason get 3 codes more F42A, F420 and FAA3 not came out before the mechanic says the damage is in the motor controller, but I mistrust, because it makes me and change many parts and nothing, for example engine thermostat and Injection pump, ignition, etc. What does this new codes means?

  32. #32ANDREW C2014-07-05 10:08

    F42A and F420 are throttle codes. Check wiring in cab but good chance the throttle sensor is failed. Faa3 is a can code for monitor. Usually failed monitor. Which ones are active? If its just the first one then I wouldn't worry about the rest. If the throttle is working then good chance then the first two are stored

  33. #33carmat24122014-07-06 10:39

    Thak you AndrewC the FAA3 always came and went, but always monitor functioned normally, the codes F475 (to change the thermostat and nothing) F42A and F420 are new, the machine turns on but does not accelerate smoothly, where is the throttle sensor? the machine is far away, but tomorrow morning I'll check the thermostat wiring and throttle, any other tips or precautions to take

  34. #34carmat24122014-07-06 10:41

    think there's any chance that this motor controller failing?

  35. #35partsandservice2014-07-06 11:55

    Not to likely the controller. The controller has to have to power sources , un switched and switched to come on. Also if the controller is producing codes then it is operational. I would suspect engine harness issues. Check the plug to the controller make sure all female connector are good. You can take a pick and tighten them up . If the controller is not powering up that would create a can code to the monitor but this can also happen if the voltage drops below 9 volts. Also check the can termination resistor it should measure 120 ohms.

  36. #36ANDREW C2014-07-06 12:31

    Carmat- there is no code related to engine cooling. It is a fuel temp code on your injection pump. There is nothing wrong with the tsats or the engine coolant temp sensor. I also dont think its your controller failing. Those ecus weren't the best but when they failed it was usually because you couldn't clear the engine coolant temp code- which you dont have! If you have this many codes and you confirm it is in the wiring. I would recommend an engine harness as they are cheap and easy to change. For the can code it wouldnt be a bad idea to pull the toolbox and clean your battery terminals. The throttle sensor is on the throttle pedal

  37. #37Djc692015-08-05 07:55

    Anyone know what a service code of 478 would be on a JD 648 giii skidded.

  38. #38Joeygoss2015-10-29 12:17

    Fault codes 903,480,and 475 are showing up on my 648 G111 skidder. It wont hardly go and makes a squealing sound sometimes. Ive replaced the turbo but did not fix the problem.

  39. #39Drifter2015-10-30 11:32

    It is injection pump current decay time invalid. Code will set if ECU detects high resistance in the injection pump solenoid. Check wiring to injection pump. If it's good change the injection pump.

  40. #40Drifter2015-10-30 11:39

    480- Water in fuel detected 475- Fuel De-rate code. (Always comes on with another code) F903- Fuel level sensor input bight. (Wiring open or short to ground)

  41. #41DWR19492015-12-26 00:10

    Has anyone had an issue with a 450J that the engine cranks over but won't start and there is no display on the monitor? I have checked battery voltage and all fuses I could locate with no results. All fuses are good. The dozer set for three weeks and this is the first issue I have had with it (it has 750 hrs. and warranty expired in September). It is getting voltage to everything but the monitor. The fan, work lights and everything else I've checked has voltage. I disconnected the batteries thinking it may reboot but it didn't turn the monitor display on. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

  42. #42partsandservice2015-12-26 07:24

    Does the monitor show nothing? Is the engine ECM powering up. I seem to recall the fuse for the engine ECM is in a individual fuse holder near the rear of the alternator. The transmission controller should give you a CAN code if the monitor or engine computer is off line.

  43. #43tool_king2015-12-26 18:45

    We had one that did that .check all wires that run from engine ecu up to monitor. It should be a red wire.the one we had ,wire was broken internally .ohm them out .

  44. #44DWR19492015-12-27 10:09

    Thank you toolking and partsandservice. I will check both your suggestions in a couple days as we are currently having torrential rains & heavy flooding in Oklahoma.

  45. #45Kevin's garage2018-02-11 14:38

    How do you fix the f475 code? What is the f413 code?

  46. #46tool_king2018-02-11 15:48

    If your running a log skidder F475 it indicates a problem with B7 Left Track Motor Speed Sensor. a open circuit, shorted circuit, or no feed back is indicated. Do not attempt calibration. See diagnostic trouble codes. F413 it indicates that at least one of the sensor voltage wires is less than 4.75 volts or more than 5.25 volts. A open circuit, shorted circuit, or no feed back is indicated. Do not attempt calibration. See diagnostic trouble codes.

  47. #47Kevin's garage2018-02-11 17:10

    They skidder don' have a track motor.

  48. #48tool_king2018-02-11 17:55

    What model machine are you working on?

  49. #49tool_king2018-02-11 18:39

    In a 648G III code F475 (001569.31) — Fuel De-rate F413 (000100.01) — Engine Oil Pressure Extremely Low

  50. #50partsandservice2018-02-11 18:41

    413 is the issue to resolve. 475 just indicates derate condition exist.

  51. #51Kevin's garage2018-02-11 19:29

    John Deere 648 g3 skidder

  52. #52tool_king2018-02-11 19:47

    This right out of the 648G III service manual code F475 (001569.31) — Fuel De-rate F413 (000100.01) — Engine Oil Pressure Extremely Low What is your email ? I can email you manual .

  53. #53Kevin's garage2018-02-11 20:36

    [email protected]

  54. #54Kevin's garage2018-02-12 13:47

    What does code f421 mean on a john deere 648 g3 skidder

  55. #55thardister2018-06-19 22:03

    I am having a problem with a 2005 648 GIII skidder. It just had a engine rebuild 1 week ago and run fine for 4 days but then the copper washer broke on 1 injector so we changed it and after that it sounded fine but would bog down when you put it in a pull up a hill and slows to a crawl, only code is F477. We have tried everything that we know to try, here is a list of most of what we have done. Put all new injectors, changed fuel filters and air filters, blowed through fuel line back to tank, I think the problem is related to the boost and not fuel because we unhooked 1 boost line and it didn’t change anything still run the exact same with the line off, so we bypassed the aftercooler because thought it might be cracked but that didn’t work either. What could my problem be?

  56. #56partsandservice2018-06-19 22:54

    Only recalling from memory so.. F477 security violation usally there is a f475 detate code along with f477. Has the engine ecu been changed out with another for diagnostic purposes? Does your engine have the injectors under the rocker cover?

  57. #57thardister2018-06-19 23:20

    Yes it is throwing code F475 to, i was incorrect on my post. No there hasn’t been any ecu change, and the injectors are beside the valve cover not under it and it has the pencil style injectors and a electronic fuel pump. Also it was running fine when the copper washer broke on the injector, it just started ticking a little bit but still had normal power but as soon as we fixed that it started this problem.

  58. #58partsandservice2018-06-19 23:33

    I will have to verify the F477 description. When the F475 is present the engine is not operating at full horsepower. Help me understand which copper washer you are talking about. I cannot recall any copper washers on the pencil type injectors.

  59. #59thardister2018-06-19 23:40

    It might not be copper it might just look like it, it is the green washer on this injector, it’s the one right under the pressure line. Also when the washer broke it felt like exhaust coming out around it but from what I read online that washer holds in compression so I didn’t think much more about it.

  60. #60partsandservice2018-06-20 00:11

    Ok got it. Not that it matters but it plastic. It is only a debris sheild , if compression was coming around the injector the Teflon seal near the tip was damaged or bypassing somehow. Even though the current issue seems to be related to the injector issue, I feel you have a different issue. The f477( yet to be verified) means the dash monitor is not recognizing the ecu . I would check the engine harness over real good , concentrate on the the green and yellow wires at the ecu ,those are the data wires to the dash monitor. They are a twisted-pair. Also check the termination resistor , 120 ohms. Maybe something got bumped or step on when replacing the injector washer.

  61. #61partsandservice2018-06-20 15:28
  62. #62thardister2018-06-20 15:57

    Thanks for your help, we checked all the wires the best we could this morning and everything looked fine, the ecu wiring harness is only 1 year old so i wouldn't think they would be anything wrong with it. I have been talking with several people today and 2 of them are fairly sure that it's the dash monitor not working correctly, said they was pretty sure that will fix it but could only be 100 percent sure if they came out to the machine and hooked it up but everyone is booked up for several days around me, so we went ahead and ordered it, going to pick it up tomorrow morning. I hope that works because it was 2,000 and we have already spent over 7,000 on the engine rebuild, turbo and injection pump.

  63. #63thardister2018-06-20 16:01

    Thanks for your help, we checked all the wires the best we could this morning and everything looked fine, 1 JD mechanic had me to get all of the voltages on the wires going into the dash monitor but i never heard anything back from him after i sent them, so not sure if everything is reading correct there or not. The ecu wiring harness is only 1 year old so i wouldn't think they would be anything wrong with it. I have been talking with several people today and 2 of them are fairly sure that it's the dash monitor not working correctly, said they was pretty sure that will fix it but could only be 100 percent sure if they came out to the machine and hooked it up but everyone is booked up for several days around me, so we went ahead and ordered it, going to pick it up tomorrow morning. I hope that works because it was 2,000 and we have already spent over 7,000 on the engine rebuild, turbo and injection pump.

  64. #64tool_king2018-06-21 01:09

    Also make sure you have power going to it .One of my former fellow mechanic misdiagnose a John Deere 550 dozer .Order new monitor install and still nothing .Then he tried it a 650 and it programmed it self to a 650 .Then we found it was a broken power wire from the ecu to the monitor .It was a red .Old monitor worked again .

  65. #65thardister2018-06-21 07:22

    We checked all the wires going to it yesterday it has 2 plugins, 1 red wire on each one and both of them had 12 volts. Some of the other wires had 12 volts and 2 only had 2.5 volts and some had 0, i sent it to one of our local John Deere mechanics but never heard back from him if everything looked normal.

  66. #66tool_king2018-06-21 07:55

    Ok that is great you checked it.Where are you located ?

  67. #67thardister2018-06-21 10:53

    We are in North Carolina and the dash monitor seem to have fixed our problem because it’s running now and hasn’t thrown any codes yet.

  68. #68tool_king2018-06-21 13:42

    Awesome .Happy it all worked out and machine is making you money.

  69. #69tedcarter602026-03-19 16:52

    We have a 648g3 skidder that is heating up we have changed the thermostats and water pump and as soon as you put it under a little pressure it heats up again but will cool down in 3 minutes on idle checked the hydraulic fan it seems to be fine just can’t figure out why it is still heating up

  70. #70Truck Shop2026-03-20 05:06

    Last eight replier's all started with a "T" if that helps, is the core fins full of dirt?

  71. #71mg23612026-03-20 05:12

    What ^^^^he said. Core clean? Any codes? Please start your own thread in the Forestry Equipment section and provide the complete machine serial number. When you do open the thread, supply the answers to these 2 questions: 1. Has the temperature been confirmed with an infra-red temperature gun? 2. Has the fan speed been checked (if you have the hydraulically driven fan)? Serial number will get you the spec if it is the hydraulically driven fan.