Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere hydraulics

ramrod98 ยท 2013-07-10 19:20

Purchased a 1987 210c and it doesn't seem to have the hydraulic power that it should. Wondering if someone could tell me how to test the system ? It has a vickers pump on it. I drained and changed all the hydraulic oil and filter. also the backhoe boom will drop even when driving if a wedge is not installed. No sign of external leakage at all. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2013-07-10 23:09

    Are the hydraulics slow or weak or both? can you give an example, like does the hoe and bucket lift the wheels off the ground? or the cycle time to fully extend and retract the hoe at full throttle. Also, do the hydraulics operate consistently, slow or weak all the time, or are there any stutters, or slowdowns, or functions that work better than others? I'm assuming that if you had any of the tools needed to test it, you'd know already know how to use them, so start with the symptoms. The dropping boom could be the piston seals inside the cylinder, or a leak in the control valve. Disconnect and cap the hose to see if the cylinder is leaking, but only if you're sure you know how to do it safely.

  2. #2ramrod982013-07-11 05:42

    hoe lifts machine off ground and so doesn't bucket. Seems more of a problem on the backhoe end. all functions work,but boom will not raise as bucket is being closed and dipper arm pulled in. the boom will then raise after that function. Seems like not enough power on backhoe section. tried pushing rock away yesterday with dipper arm function but had to curl bucket and then open bucket to move rock. I should be able to do all functions at once(lift boom while pulling in dipper arm). Seems like possibly aa relief valve or something. I am thinking not the pump as the machine will lift off the ground

  3. #3ramrod982013-07-11 08:56

    No problems digging in dirt. I have heard about capping off the hose on the ccylinder by using a shutoff valve. I will try that as soon as I know which hose to cap off . weak hydraulics when trying to shift dirt to the side by moving boom. it will stop unless picked up a bit. when first got machine and curling bucket in on root of stump, the backhoe bucket extended itself back out like it hit relief. But there was no good reason for this to happen. I should have been able to pull through that root without a problem. I am also wondering if there may be a check valve or something in the system ? The hydraulic filter has a switch atop it. I can dig with it as it is ,but want to fix it proper. wondering if there is a way to check the relief valves also on the spool for the hoe ? or even what it cost for kit to rebuild the spool ? thanks for getting back to me. I hope what I have said will be of help to you in leading me in the proper direction

  4. #4Delmer2013-07-11 09:36

    Mostly that's the way the machine was built. "boom will not raise as bucket is being closed and dipper arm pulled in. the boom will then raise after that function" I think that's normal for open center hydraulics. "pushing rock away yesterday with dipper arm function" dipper/stick has more force pulling in, less area of the piston on the rod side of the cylinder. "weak hydraulics when trying to shift dirt to the side by moving boom. it will stop unless picked up a bit" look at the cross section of the boom and stick, they're not made to push dirt sideways, so the cylinders have to be weak enough not to break something. You can test just about everything one way or another, the "operation and test manual" tells you just about everything you need to know about diagnosing the machine.

  5. #5ramrod982013-07-11 15:39

    thank you ! sounds like the hydraulics are working as they should be on this machine. I figured a problem when all functions would not work at once. but your saying about open hydraulics seems to have calmed me a bit. I was just across the road now moving large pieces of flagstone and burying them from a pile. the machine worked well for me. now I understand what is what with it through your answer. thanks for your help !