Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john deere log loader id help

stumpjumper83 ยท 2014-06-26 12:09

Ok, I recently purchased a deere log loader, its a smaller unit about 1500 pounds maybe, 14' max reach aprox. doesn't rotate 360, neither does the grapple. Originally it pinned the the back of a 350 - 450 dozer. There is a id plate. its a type sne 400 and a serial of 00058xxW. There are some casting numbers like w14296, w14386, and a metal tag with dm10238 on a grease line extender. My intent is to re-mount it on a dodge pickup for loading my processor, but I'd like to find out some deere history as well.

Replies7
  1. #1old-iron-habit2014-06-26 14:11

    Interesting to say the least. Does it say John Deere on the serial plate also. I have never seen an older JD log loader. The outriggers being vertical like that are a bit strange to. I hope someone has some information.

  2. #2stumpjumper832014-06-26 14:47

    Yes the Id plate says "John deere made in Canada".

  3. #3Hank R2014-06-26 15:18

    My guess is that it is home made from a older hoe JD 310 or smaller, the dipper and other parts are from a JD donner, machine I ran a 310 in early 70,s and thought the out riggers came straight down.

  4. #4lantraxco2014-06-26 15:44

    I can find pictures of more units exactly the same, so I would tend to believe it's a production item. The 350's I can find with log loaders on the back all seem to be Gafner "Hydra-Loader" setups which are similar but not identical in design. Gafner was in Michigan though, so that would seem to rule them out. Curious....

  5. #5stumpjumper832014-06-26 16:20

    Thanks to a very hard working parts man I now know that I have a john deere 3400 rotoboom! Thanks to Russ at 5 star deere

  6. #6lantraxco2014-06-26 16:26

    YAY! lol :notworthy

  7. #7Jumbo2014-06-26 20:39

    Out of curiosity, how big are the grapples? I have seen one other similar, mounted on the back of a tractor used as a cheap version of a tie crane on a railroad. I do not know if it was JD or not, very rusty and second, third or fourth hand. The vertical outriggers on the one I saw went to the rails. Cute piece of equipment. When you get it mounted post photos.