Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john deere or kubota?

lincoln ยท 2014-12-11 02:39

is a John Deere 50G or a Kubota kx57-4 the better machine?

Replies19
  1. #1maddog2014-12-11 09:07

    The deere is a lighter machine(by 2000lbs I believe) with about 10+ less ponies. As far as your question......this is the ole chevy VS ford. Unless someone has operated both(being equal condition) in the same type conditions and same amount of time it's really hard to give an honest opinion. Both brands have their good and bad qualities, right along with raves and rants. Are you buying new or used, if used then it's whole different ball game. If new then you'd be looking at price, ease of parts, warranty........ and most of all dealer service.

  2. #2lumberjack2014-12-11 09:34

    www.youtube.com/RutherfordConLLC is my YouTube channel where you can see the 057 run. My dealer is Marshall Machinery in PA, Dave Olver is is sales guy. What do you plan on doing with your machine? I use mine for a little of everything. We do digging, demo, material handling, mowing and stump grinding, clearing... It's s handy machine! The reason I'm in it vs an 8 ton is the ability to fit the excavator and stump grinder in my dump trailer... Makes for a very efficient combo doing tree work.

  3. #390plow2014-12-11 21:02

    We own a kx 057 and love it. No experience with the deere HOWEVER, we were on a job working with a local municipality and they had the bigger deere kx080 equivalent. The operator head honcho did not like the machine he had a Kubota kx 080 picked out but due to pricing they went deere. It was making all kinds of weird noise which he said deere could not resolve and it was underpowered. Just passing on his opinion.

  4. #4Anthonycecil2014-12-11 21:52

    I`d make my decision on dealer support and convenience to dealer tony

  5. #5413wedge2014-12-11 23:46

    I have demoed them both but the 57 is a stronger and heavier machine. so its not a fair comparison . the u55 is more on the lines of the 50 deere. I like the deere but my kabota support is way better than the deere dealer and I feel like you get more for your money in a Kubota. but like it was said by maddog dealer support is important

  6. #6grk822014-12-15 00:05

    The u55 and kx057 are the same size machine. U55 has a slightly shorter stick but much better break out force with minimal tail swing.

  7. #7Paul Six2014-12-15 07:40

    We have a rental fleet of Kubota mini excavator here in Europe , we tried other makes , to me the Kubota is the Top mini excavator on any size

  8. #8pafarmer2014-12-17 06:22

    If I had touch between a JD or Kubota I would most certainly pick a CAT 305.5..good luck...

  9. #9grk822014-12-17 08:21

    That's funny...I own a Cat 305.5 and a Kubota U55 and other than the foot pedals every thing about the Kubota is better.

  10. #10Carl Peter2014-12-17 13:34

    I also would have said get a Cat...

  11. #1190plow2014-12-17 20:39

    Cat doesn't even make their minis....

  12. #12Digdeep2014-12-18 08:00

    Incorrect. They make everything from the 303E and up. As a matter of fact the 303.5E2, 304E2, 305E2, 305.5E2 and the 308E2 are built in Athens Georgia by American workers spending their wages in America in a new factory they opened in October 2013. They will also be making their D3,D4 and D5 out of the same factory starting in 2015. Previously, their minis were part of a joint venture with Shin Caterpillar Mitsubishi since 1963 which they completely purchased in 2008. So in essence they have been building their own minis from 3.5t since 2008. http://www.ajc.com/news/business/new-athens-plant-key-to-caterpillar/nbdcg/ Kubota makes a good mini, but I'm pretty certain that the money they make from the US dealers gets spent in Japan. It is correct that Wacker builds their minis from the 302.7D and under.

  13. #13Carl Peter2014-12-18 10:39

    Love to See Made in America....Thanks for the info

  14. #14ih1002014-12-18 13:10

    Until three or four years ago some of the smallest exes at the time were manufactured beside the backhoe line in the UK. Until the Wacker Neusonn tie-up.

  15. #15Digdeep2014-12-18 13:46

    Me too. I think I read somewhere that Cat's new mini factory will directly employ around 1500 once they start making the dozers there. I know Cat also brought many of their larger excavators back to the US as well. Don't know the models but they opened a 1,000,000sq ft factory just outside of Houston and I think that was about 2200 jobs.

  16. #16pafarmer2014-12-19 04:40

    CAT.......Made in the USA by hard Working American's.....Amen my CAT Brothers !

  17. #17Digdeep2014-12-19 08:30

    http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/article/Caterpillar-expanding-Victoria-plant-1429360.php

  18. #18KBLAIR2014-12-19 10:01

    Your so close in quality, performance, and price between the two. I would look at dealer support and proximity to your shop or home.

  19. #19mudober2014-12-19 20:03

    To me I would choose a U55-4. Whats the since in having a mini-x without a minimal tail swing or no tail swing.Also I would get a angle blade.The Kubota has way more draw bar pull and the blade height is good for back filling.