Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to Mini’s Just picked up a Cat 302.5, have a few questions.

blue66tang ยท 2014-12-10 22:43

Hi guys, I just picked up a Cat 302.5 and it has some issues I need to sort out. Anybody know where I can find used parts on the west coast. I need some body parts, a new dozer blade for it, and a few other odds and ends. Also, the engine wont idle down. It will idle fine until I rev it up, but it will not come back down. The throttle linkage all checks out ok. Also, when I shut it off, it will run for a good 30 seconds and slowly shut off, does not just shut off like normal. Thanks guys, I am sure I will have quite a few questions in the coming weeks. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1blue66tang2014-12-11 23:00

    Somebody has to have some idea?

  2. #2Shimmy12014-12-11 23:54

    Does it have any power? Sounds like possibly air in fuel? I'm not familiar with this machine, but all engines are similar. Does it have an injection pump? Have you unhooked the throttle linkage at the engine with it running and kind of stroked it like you can do with the carb on a gas engine? Does it have visible linkage from a shutoff solenoid to the fuel pump? When you turn key off, if you watch it does the solenoid return very slowly until it gets far enough to shut off? These are all very generic questions that should hopefully get you going. Also, most of the professionals on here are going to want the exact model number and serial number. Good luck.

  3. #3blue66tang2014-12-14 22:46

    Seems to have decent power. I am not sure how much power these things are supposed to have. I have never had a mini before. I am hoping it is sucking some air. I see several cracks in the fuel line coming from the tank and the fuel filter is leaking. I am crossing my fingers on that one. I know its not the throttle linkage, and there are is no linkage from the solenoid to the pump. I cant seem to find anybody who has any used parts for this thing. There is one place in Michigan I am going to call tomorrow. Hopefully they have a few things. It has the the cat 3013 engine, which I believe is a Perkins engine.

  4. #4blue66tang2014-12-19 21:09

    Well still no luck. I replaced all of the fuel lines, fuel filter, tightened up a banjo bolt, but it still wont idle back down. I am thinking something is wrong with the injection pump, or governor spring. Anybody know where the governor spring is?

  5. #5Bliz2014-12-28 11:22

    Also, the engine wont idle down. It will idle fine until I rev it up, but it will not come back down. The throttle linkage all checks out ok. Also, when I shut it off, it will run for a good 30 seconds and slowly shut off, does not just shut off like normal. A friend of mine had/has the same problem. Cat mechanic told him the battery could be the problem. The reasoning was that if sufficient power does not get to the cellenoid that shuts it down, it will just keep running. Not sure I have the exact details correct on this, but that was the jist of it.

  6. #6barry552015-01-14 20:37

    Call Tim Kohler at 651 429 9012 for Perkins parts and help with advice on govener spring