any body else having trouble JD EGR valve mine is on a powertech plus 4045hf485 for electric gen. set olny has 6500 hours and has been replaced 3 times im on the south end of kodiak island alaska and it cost $ 6000. to get the tech. guy down here to replace and re calibrate it I need advice the gen set powers our village help please if you or some one you know has run in to this E.mail at [email protected] thanks
What caused it to fail the first 3 times? Was it coked up or was there rust inside the linkage? They have to be installed in the correct position and then calibrated on service advisor. The new nine liters were having issues in the cold and then there was new software update, maybe a possibility? If you shoot me the serial number I can check a couple things.
thanks for the reply I have a diesel electric outfit fly in to do the work and they are telling me the EGR on this model fails at 2500 to 3000 HR the ones they have pulled out looked to be coked up . also they have installed the exuast cooler out side the power plant im told this is not good due to the temp. drop I live on the south end of kodiak island alaska and we do get extreme cold here and the EGR fault code and warning lights come on and it fails during cold snapsit seems the serial no. is pe4045L089257 we are a very small village 82 pepole and this $6000. reapair every 3000.HR will bankrupt us the engine olny has 6500 HR. on it I olny use it during times of high electric use mostly extreme cold its a 117 kw unit other then that I use one of our other 2 JD engines that are 70 kw old school and use way less fuel one has 40 thousand HR the other 55 thousand hrs almost trouble free so I im having trouble accepting the $6000 repair every 3000 hr please let me know about the exuast gas cooler on the out side of the power plant and thanks so much for any info dan mccoy city manager city of akhiok e.mail [email protected]
I don't know how they mounted the egr cooler outside as there is very limited mounting options. If you are talking the muffler then I believe that should be ok. If the egr valve is coked so quick (I see it around 8000 hours on equipment and longer on gensets) I would ask does the unit run at no load for long periods? If it does that will do it. If the gen end isnt loading the engine it will cause it to slober as it never burns the fuel and then cokes the egr valve as a result. If it is using lots of fuel and coking the egr you may have an injectors failing or low compression but I would suspect injectors. There is a new update for that engine on John Deere custom performance. If you are bring a tech up that far I would want that installed. When they install that egr valve it needs to be calibrated properly or it will fail again. If you plan on removing the valve without the tool there is a good chance you will damage it. You need to make sure this is an egr problem and not something else causing it or an electrical problem. There is a spot three or four inches from the valve on the harness that likes to rub if not secured properly and I have seen those engine harnesses rub together too.