hello can anyone help I have a brand new short block 4,5 powertech . we transferred all the old parts over to the engine, bell housing , injection pump and fuel lines , water pump , oil filter housing .and starter etc co timing covers . upon the process of cranking over the engine and starting to bleed the fuel system . i noticed all the coolant was really low in the rad and it went into the oil pan some how ? II wondering if it somehow related to the water pump install , or the oilfilter housing somehow? IS THERE ANY JD engine builders out here,, that can help , the engine is in jlg 1255 telehandler
Oil cooler?
There are certain bolts where the oil filter housing bolts to the oil cooler that if a bolt too long is installed it will hit the oil cooler, may not punch a hole but deform it enough to make it unseat from the orings . Ask me how I know
Ill bite........How do you know that?
There are at least four different length 8mm bolts used on this engine, the one I installed was not way over length just enough to hit the oil cooler. To make it worse the engine was already back in the frame when we noticed coolant in the oil pan just like the OP. Since the oil pan was not removable in the frame in this application, I removed the engine to find the oil cooler leaking. Talk about working for free. Fortunately , it has never happened (to me) again.
P&S.. I was wondering if THAT was outlined in the service manual?? Not saying anything derogatory about your work, by no means.. I wish everyone made their manuals like Deutz.!!!! Step by step w/ pictures/illustrations & even arrows of which way to turn the screw/bolt.!!! & TORQUE SPECS next to the item.!!! I LOVE THAT.. you don't have to search the index to find a tq. spec.
I have no problem learning from my mistakes.
And as far as service manuals go, it is almost impossible to have a service manual for every variation of heavy equipment I encounter.
If I am searching on some machine and come across some random web site that has posted the service manual (this happens with obscure engines more than you would think) I save it to my hard drive and index it. But like you said, I rarely have to ever look back at these unless it is some strange electrical gremlin. Engines are engines, bolts are bolts. But, this reminded me of one of the rules I am teaching my new partner/apprentice. I don't care if there are 20 bolts that all look the same, put them back in the same holes they came out of. Different lengths or maybe different threads. Especially if somebody did a thread repair with what they had on the truck. Or a longer one that works in a shorter place, now you are left with a shorter one that doesn't reach the longer place. It only takes a minute on the teardown and on reassembly it could save you untold hours.
40 years ago,Dad taught me. "It's hard enough to do it right the first time. Let's not do it Twice"