We're looking to trade up, currently have a 770D. Anyone have any experience with JD's new Tier IV engines, specifically in the 770G or GP model?? Thanks in advance.
There are out all over the country. several are working in CO and UT. Virtually no impact to the operator and run just as good as the T-3 G's. Is there anything specific you have a question on?
Not necessarily. I was just concerned about buying into something new. JD calls it the Interim engine. Does that mean they just developed this to get by and will come out later with a different design to meet specs?? If so wouldn't that impact the trade in value of our machine in three or four years?? We tried to find a Tier III machine spec'd like we needed but couldn't find a new one anywhere so are considering ordering a Tier IV.
I don't think Interim means that a manufacturer built an engine just to "get by". Its more of the government giving us a half way point until full blown tier 4 requirements must be met. Full blown tier 4 is going to be pretty nasty in my opinion. I think your going to see even bigger rear cowling and bigger price increases to cover the "clean burning technology".
Yeah, I agree with you. We are already seeing cost increases. We are governmental and have to watch our machine costs very closely. To date we've been able to stay in "new" machines, trading every four years. Those days may soon disappear. We signed a trade deal this weekend. We ordered a new JD770G machine and will take delivery in early September. I'll do a writeup and picture post when we get the new machine. I really like our D model. I'm a little nervous about the G model being an improvement over the D. I ran a Demo GP a year ago. I didn't like the forward visibility at all. Can't even begin to understand why JD decided to raise the main beam, other than to copy CAT which did the same thing with their M model. No productivity gain at all. I expect serviceability to be better with the G. One big gain is not having to crawl up on top of the machine to refuel. We ordered this machine with the larger moldboard, 3" taller. I think that will be a gain when pushing snow or when moving dirt.
With the shorter and shorter time between new demands on technology, prices will raise in the future. Produsers now have fewer machines to split their development costs on. Only way to stay competitive is to realy mass produce engines in huge numbers. Or buy from other manufacturers, that has taken the costs already. I'd say manufactureres with engines already developed for the truck market has a advantage now.(and in the future) Some manufacturers saw this comming, and thought about it when the came up with new modells some years ago.(Volvo/cat) They don't have to increase their engine cowlings much now.(946B and the M2) I've looked at Tier 4 on the Volvo G-modell loaders, and i don't get afraid of what i have seen. Most is already tested and Ok in trucks.(EGR, injectors and filters) The new stuff is the "burner" for the filter, to me not more advanced than a Webasto heater. I'd say the problem is, that you can't do anything without a computer plugged into the machines. Dealer network, will be the thing to realy evaluate in the future.
Hi - We're regular readers of Heavy Equipment Forums and thought we might be able to help answer some of the questions you were bouncing back and forth. All of the links below will take you to John Deere's Straightforward Blog, which we launched back in January to help our customers find answers to their questions about emissions regulations. What is the "Interim" in "Interim Tier 4" - http://bit.ly/m1sScY What will Final Tier 4 mean for customers - http://bit.ly/iAvYDE What steps can customers take for a smooth Interim Tier 4 transition - http://bit.ly/mxvarL 10 Questions to ask your equipment manufacturer about emissions regulations - http://bit.ly/jkHQK6 As for your thoughts about the G-Series motor graders, we would love to hear your feedback on our customer forum, http://www.soundoff.uservoice.com . The site has nearly 200 customers giving their opinions about John Deere equipment and helping us to improve our machines to meet customer needs. Be sure to share a photo of your new grader when it arrives! We hope these help! Let us know if we can answer anything else. You can post a comment on the blog or create a new idea on our forum and we'll get right back to you. - The John Deere Straightforward Blog Team
Thanks John Deere, I'll take a couple days to digest all this info. Ironic that your user name is the same as the manufacturer of equipment!!! I'll certainly post pictures.