Hello, I have a john Deere 4520 and the engine is a 4024TLV07. The tractor stop running one day and I found that the cam gear bolt had come loose and the cam was not turning with the crank. There is no key way on the camshaft so it appears the gear can go on anywhere. I trying to find out how to time the cam to the crank. I had planed on finding top dead center and bolting the gear on. I just know a couple of degrees can make a big difference if its not right. Any help will be appreciated.
It is important to remove all the injector pumps and the pump lifters to check for any binding of the plungers which may have caused the cam gear to loosen off in the first place. There is also (4 ) short pins through the block that prevents the pump lifters from turning. The pin(s) can get sheared allowing the pump lifter to turn 90 degRees damaging the camshaft. Also check for any bent valve push rods. Of course check for any galling on the cam and cam gear to maintain a solid joint. The Deere way to time the cam ,is to remove the #1 injection pump and a valve lifter then install special tools which locates and locks the cam in the proper position. Pin the flywheel and install the cam gear. Sounds easy enough but ,MORE special tools are required to index the injection pumps properly to ensure the engine performs as designed. I’m sure mg2361 will fill in any blanks I may have missed .
OK, I will look for any damaged pins and push rods. Sounds like I might need to take it some where and have it done. I would hate to buy all the tools and only use them once and I'm sure there not cheap. Thank you for the info.
That was a known problem with those engines there's most likely updated parts for it
Nope. Deere did not update any of the camshaft parts or the way the gear is retained. The only thing holding the gear from turning on the shaft is a friction washer and Loctite. Great idea, wasn't it?
I just recently had to get into the top of one of these types of engines and I have been doing this for a hell of a long time. The tooling needed is quite extensive and the timing has to be precise. I suggest you find a dealer or someone with experience in these and let them handle this. This is one of those that will have you cussing up a storm and ready to kill someone.
Perhaps I'm thinking of a different one
Thank you all for the reply's. I'm going to find a dealer and let them fix it.