I'm looking to get a reasonably inexpensive sound level meter so I can check how loud vehicles at my MX and oval tracks are. I currently have a 100db limit and want to be able to show that all vehicles meet this limit especially if someone wanted to complain to the county. Most other tracks have similar noise limits. The oval track is getting more interest and is out in the open so noise is more apparent. I don't want a $30 meter from Amazon and was thinking a more name brand meter like Extech, Reed or Triplett for $125-$250 depending on features and accuracy. Don't want to pay the ridiculous costs for a Nist certificate but was thinking of maybe getting a kit with a calibrator but then I'm looking over $400. Trying to be proactive and be a good neighbor. Don't want to have a confrontation and not be able to back up posted noise limits. Wondering if anyone on here has any recommendations for a good level 2 sound level meter?
Triplett, and Fluke are about the best out there in reasonable pricing. Extech electronics don't retain accuracy very well and are short lived. Hewlett-Packard, or Tektronics, (if you can justify the expense) are the best in electronics test equipment for measurements, yet easily attained. A meter calibrated to read in dBA, (decibels ambient) is what you are after for sound pressure measurements.
I don't have a recommendation on the type of sound meter, but I would only add to make sure that you have a uniform method of utilizing it. I am an SCCA member and do autocross. They post those meters at 50' from the track. I wish we had 100 db limits. Things have gotten so crazy they are mid 90's about everywhere. Not easy to stay under that with a Supercharged 6.2 with headers. You may get a hold of the SCCA, they may have a recommendation on type they use.
There are sound level apps for your phone. Most phones will limit the noise from the mic to something in the 90 db range. This would show that everyone is within limits and since many people will trust anything coming from a cell phone all would be good.
I never received notice that anyone responded to this thread. Weird. I want to be prepared in case I received a noise complaint and don't think a phone app would suffice. I want a meter that can be calibrated. I went to a place that does calibrations and sells Amprobe (Fluke) sound meters but they are over $400 for basically the same features as other brands at $200. They rent them too but I think it's better to have one just in case there's a problem. I wanted to see what they would recommend. Thankfully they can also get other brands. The can get the best deal on Reed sound meters and have sold several of them. Reed is a Canadian company and apparently has high quality instruments. The guy told me Triplett is OK but are rebranded. Triplett had a meter for $75.00 but he questioned why it was so cheap for the features it had. They had another one around $200. Extech had one under $200 but it didn't have a light and was only rated within 2db. The next one up was over $200. I'm looking at a Reed R8050. It has A and C weighting and is supposed to be accurate to 1.4db although the level 2 standard is 2db. Their price is $175.00 which is $20 cheaper than buying online. A big bonus if I buy from them is they will give a Nist traceable calibration certificate for $50 that is good for 2 years. Getting a Nist certificate from the manufacturer costs $275.00 extra! With the calibration certificate I don't think I'll need to buy a kit that includes a calibrator. The kit is $400 or $450 with a certificate. I prefer buying something like this locally where I can take it back easily if it doesn't work right. I currently have a 100db limit but would like to try and get it down to 97db. 3db is apparently the limit the human ear can notice. I'd also like to try and establish a drive by limit like some tracks have. Reading about tracks shutting down and having to implement ridiculously low sound limits makes me worried as I'm trying to establish a new oval track. I think it's best to start off with a reasonable noise level and a plan to possibly make it even lower than just hoping for the best. REED R8050 Dual Range Sound Level Meter www.reedinstruments.com