I know that line boring is brought up often on the forum. I have looked through serval previous threads about line boring and have not had much luck in the way finding any information on the JT Dixon unit. I realize that it is not in the same league as York or Climax. I am just starting to get into line boring in my business and I do not want to invest heavily in this until I can make sure the work is available to support it. I work on loads of wheel loaders 980 caterpillar being the biggest in my area so I'm not needing it to be able to do massive bores. 1 3/4" to 4 1/2" would cover the pin sizes. Any input on this particular unit would be GREATLY appreciated.
Based on my conversations with a couple line boring guys here in the states it’s not a bad way to start. The boring part is easier to me. Getting the welding part done is more challenging, especially if you have to go back and bore a hand weld back to spec as they tend to be lumpy unless you’re really practiced it at. There are several setups like that I wouldn’t be scared of for what you’re wanting to accomplish. About the cheapest way to start I’ve found short of piecing things together.
The only “cheaper”way I can think of is to build one. But I’m not sure of how that would turn out. Selling the service and a one time job are two different things. I sure wouldn’t want a homemade rig to blow up in the middle of a job.
The bars are easy actually. I’ve thrown simple stuff together with my mag drill. It’s actually easier than it looks. I was intimidated at first too.
JT Dixon looks pretty good. York is built not far from where i am, they are excelent. Id be looking at a bore welder, as Junkyard says you can cut a bore with almost anything if you are ingenious. Im just looking at line boring again as that kind of work seems to be showing up at my shop more often. Keeps me out of trouble between crane jobs. Ill be interested in what you come up with.
As for now I intend to hand weld them and later on add a bore welder. Bore repair systems wants 8500.00 for a dully automated welder. that is more than I am willing to invest at this point. If this service becomes a regular thing for me then I will buy a bore welder no questions asked. After much thought an think I am going to pull the trigger on the Jt Dixon unit because I have a job coming in hot and don't have time to build a good sturdy unit. I will update as soon as I get the unit.
Hows your line boring going Zrupp ? I finely got motivated and built a set up,did a small job in the shop with it and it worked very well . It cost me a couple of flange mount pillow blocks and 3 days of playing around in my shop,im slow at machining.I had all the rest of the materials and the mag base . My test piece is a hook roller bracket of one of my crawler cranes
Dont beat me up over the toolbit, i just grabbed one out of the drawer in haste to see this thing work. Im going to grind up some high speed steel , they stand up a bit better on the rough stuff
I haven’t done any to date. I’m waiting on the job to show up. Between my schedule and the customers schedule We are tentatively 2 weeks out. I like your setup. I would do something similar if I had more spare time. But between my family and running my business with its work load it’s unfortunately more cost effective for me to purchase a unit.
I know how that is. Seems to take me years of dreaming of these things . im doing the boom end on a 200 Hitachi right now, building up has got me thinking of a bore welder.
A pay job completed with the new bar
Tugger, what are you using for a feed on your bar? Is there something I don't see, or are you just leaning on the rack for the drill?
I just feed it with the rack. I had to get going with this project so i kept it simple.Spending my time and a couple of hundred bucks instead of thousands also motivated me. Ill make it a winter project to set up a feed system and scrap the mag base . Actually it does work surprisingly well. Grinding your tool bit right and keeping your finish size away from the heat affected zone of your buildup seems to be the trick for easy cutting.
I started fabricobbling a bore welder to fit my fabricobbled(i love that word) line bore thing . I had to shove it to the corner of the shop but I hope to go at it again soon . I will post a pic or two when I unearth it
Got the unit Dixon branded unit in. Set up and bored a the center articulation pins on a 644H Deere. Hand welding was not as bad as i figured. Se ting the unit up with supplied hardware was rather interesting. It was comparable to a Erector Set. I intend to make some better bearing mounts to speed up the process. All in All it was not not a totally bad deal. I will most definitely be on the look out for a good deal on a bore welder.