Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Junkyard/White Marker Worth a Hoot?

Birken Vogt · 2023-06-29 00:50

I have been looking for a marker that is worth anything to write on black surfaces, etc. in legible white (or other light color). 2 types I have been fighting found at the parts house: 1. Has a small metal tip that pushes in a tiny bit and paint comes out. If writing on a vertical surface the paint runs like a horror movie 2. Has a tip like a fat marker that you are supposed to punch a bunch of times to get paint flowing and writes pretty good the first time, but then runs out and has to be re-tapped on something you don't mind getting paint on again. Second time you use it the paint is all dried and it barely works. Is there something better out there?

Replies21
  1. #1tpitt2023-06-29 02:19

    I use light gray permanent markers. They work well

  2. #2Nige2023-06-29 07:55

    I’ve had good success with these……

  3. #3OzDozer2023-06-29 08:20

    Nige, I think that's the second one that Birken was talking about. I use them too, but I find they do dry out all too soon. So then you tap the felt tip, and white paint runs everywhere! There must be a huge financial reward waiting for the guy who can produce a good white paint marker that doesn't dry out, doesn't run everywhere, and which works every time you pick it up!

  4. #4Birken Vogt2023-06-29 08:33

    Yes, Nige's is the one we were using on Tuesday, took 10 minutes to write on one filter tapping it on the tire (tyre) of the truck to get it to run, cutting it with a knife, spraying with solvent, etc. Looks unprofessional when your writing peters out to nothing and looks like a 4 year old did it

  5. #5_Weldman_2023-06-29 08:41

    Best one yet I have ever used and you won't lose the cap, it goes on the back. Milwaukee Inkzall

  6. #6Nige2023-06-29 08:58

    The same brand.?

  7. #7Birken Vogt2023-06-29 09:36

    It looks the same but I suppose the brand is probably different. Have you found those to be superior?

  8. #8DDoug2023-06-29 09:37

    Tire marking crayon

  9. #9treemuncher2023-06-29 09:39

    I use the #2 type quite often. I just purchase a bulk amount of the Chinese type markers from Ebay that are super cheap and come in multiple colors. They seem to work just as well as the name brand stuff but are cheap enough to trash when they become too frustrating to continue working. I just make it a habit to punch down on the tip momentarily every few letters and keep the paint flowing. I always have some on the truck and around the shop. Best thing ever for marking filters and oil changes.

  10. #10Nige2023-06-29 09:42

    That particular brand in the photo we found to be very good. It was discussed a while ago Here and on the following page.

  11. #11Labparamour2023-06-29 09:48

    Sharpie black and silver markers are what I like.

  12. #12chidog2023-06-29 10:17

    I like these, and if your into original auto restoration this is what the factory used to write info on the firewalls and other parts. You can use a knife to sharpen it, also you do that when the end dries to use it again. No mess no dripping etc. https://www.grainger.com/product/5W...VygetBh080AyxEAQYAiABEgJS__D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

  13. #13Birken Vogt2023-06-29 10:46

    I like the crayon idea - will it write on the rubbery end of a radial seal air filter?

  14. #14JD955SC2023-06-29 10:51

    I use a markal set of three. They are all frustrating but the markals are the best I’ve tried so far The sharpie brand and many others such as the ones sold in the craft section of Walmart or hobby lobby are absolute crap.

  15. #15tpitt2023-06-29 10:51

    They are by far the best,

  16. #16Labparamour2023-06-29 11:24

    I’ll have to investigate the other suggestions. I’ve used the sharpies to mark metal and oil filters and air filters. The tips can pick up crap or mush out but the ink has held up well for my needs. I have also used tire crayons for some stuff.

  17. #17Nige2023-06-29 11:33

    If you change enough of them have you considered the possibility of using some sort of sticker attached to the filter that you could write on with a ball point.? If they were personalised they could even be an ad for your business.

  18. #18treemuncher2023-06-29 15:06

    I also use grease pens for a lot of stuff if that I don't worry about rubbing the writing off easily. Best used on smooth surfaces.

  19. #19ozarkag2023-06-29 16:32

    Whiteout correction pens work surprisingly good, Presto jumbo correction pen Junkyard up the road uses these, stays visible for years

  20. #20Welder Dave2023-06-29 18:09

    Markel also has ball point paint markers in a bottle you slightly squeeze. The ball regulates the flow kind of like a pen.

  21. #21OzDozer2023-06-29 20:23

    I've seen those Markal pens, but never bought or used one - they're a good idea. The paint they use is very durable. I've purchased items that were marked with a Markal pen, and the markings were resistant to all kinds of weather and rough treatment. However, they're a bit more difficult to source down under here, and they're fairly expensive compared to the other varieties. Markal Stylmark Paint Marker 3mm - Yellow Markal Stylmark Paint Marker 3mm - Yellow - Markal - Stylmark Paint Marker www.aimsindustrial.com.au