Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just a thought

NCPIPELINE ยท 2013-02-05 11:05

I am always in the dirt lol or mud, or whatever trying to fix something. For a while now I have been looking for something that I can lay on while working that I can roll or fold up and take with me. Any ideas?:usa

Replies17
  1. #1mark18mwm2013-02-05 11:40

    I race a dirt track stock car, we are always in a dirt pit area. I came across a flexible sheet of 4x8" plastic about 1/4" thick. works great, easy to slide your body on, keeps you off the dirt and dry(unless there is enough water to run on to it).just roll it up when done, it rolls up about 1" round and 4" long. Or can be layed/ stood up flat. When its dirty just hose it off. I used to use cardboard appliance boxes (refridge, washer, dryer,etc...) but they soak up water but are better than nothing. It helps keep track of tools also, they don't get covered up in the dirt they just lay on the plastic. I have also seen a lot of guys lay tarps down to lay on, I guess what ever it takes.

  2. #2NCPIPELINE2013-02-05 11:41

    I was thinking something with maybe a little forgiveness. I like the idea of plastic, but need something with a little love in it LOL:drinkup

  3. #3stovein2013-02-05 12:01

    I have a couple fold up mats , I think they were either exercise mats or from when the kids had nap mats in kindergarten. Some of them are plastic and some are spongy. The only plastic ones that would have a little love and be waterproof are probably inflatable.

  4. #4NCPIPELINE2013-02-05 12:09

    hmm dont know about inflatable... plastic spongy kindergarten mat seems like a decent idea

  5. #5KSSS2013-02-05 12:45

    If you go to a military surplus store you can get a roll up sleeping mat for like $5.00. real handy for such things.

  6. #6mark18mwm2013-02-05 13:57

    How about this, a little closer to what you want? click on this link and check it out. http://daymotorsports.com/proddisp....le+surface+to+lie+on+while+working+on+your+ra

  7. #7NCPIPELINE2013-02-05 14:48

    Ya thats pretty good

  8. #8Delmer2013-02-05 15:27

    Premium carpet underlay/padding. Comes in 4' width, 1/2" thick, dense enough to hold up decent and be comfortable. Not the recycled stuff, and maybe not available everywhere, but you'll know it when you find it.

  9. #9buckfever2013-02-05 19:31

    Go on Ebay and buy a couple cheap yoga mats. I take the wifes when she changes to a new color or something. And some time in a pinch when something breaks someone comes into my house and gets grease and motor oil all over the mat the wife is using:beatsme

  10. #10CM19952013-02-05 19:44

    LOL. I bet that goes over like a fart in a diving helmet...

  11. #11willie592013-02-05 19:46

    This doesn't address the "mud" that you get into, but I've been in the field working out of a mechanics truck for years, you would not believe how well a simple piece of cardboard works. Easy to slide on, takes the sting out of stones, store it behind the seat in the cab or fold it up and put it in the service box. And when it gets worn or oily, easy to find a replacement piece.

  12. #12NCPIPELINE2013-02-06 06:00

    All these sound like good options for me. I like the idea of some kind of roll up mat that I can just hit with the hose roll up and be ready for next time. Willie - I agree that good ol cardboard is universal, the problem is I just don't see anything big enough ever it seems like lol

  13. #13OzDozer2013-02-06 06:34

    Willie has nailed it. I look out for 'fridge cartons and other large cardboard boxes, and when I spot them, I grab them and hoard them. You just slice a side out of the 'fridge carton, and it's ideal to lie on. When it's shot, you just bin it, and cut yourself a new bed!

  14. #14sheepfoot2013-02-06 20:24

    I agree on the cardboard along with a roll of heavy plastic to cut and throw down to keep the mess to a min. I also kept a 3x8 sheet of plywood on the truck for the creeper when i worked up your way in that nice red clay and ground apples.

  15. #15durallymax2013-02-08 00:02

    Check out new pig. Some of their stuff may work for you to lay on. They mostly deal with absorbing/containing spills but make some great products. They are pricey though.

  16. #16AlloaExcavating2013-02-12 10:24

    Cushions That fold up from outdoor patio furnature

  17. #17blademan1502013-02-12 12:57

    I always carried a piece of linoleum, after a season it would crack and I'd just get a new piece, cheap and easy to slide around on, for winter had a piece of carpet I'd use along with it. Clyde