Hi, I just bought a '70 hough 65 and it needs to be repowered, It has a DT407 now that is in pieces, I bought it from a friend he was running it down the road in 3 and the engine started knocking. he limped it back the the shop tore it down and it had a broken rod bolt and a cracked crank, I would assume overhaul the 407 but i'm having trouble finding crank, rods, etc. plus machining, possibly injectors, and that i would assume it would be better to put some newer power in the old girl.. The bell housing on the loader is an SAE #3, I have a few inline 6 Isuzu diesels 5.8L 6bd1's and 6bd1t, both turbo and non-turbo. They are real stout engines right around the same power rating as the dt407, the bellhousing will bolt but issue is making the coupler fasten to the isuzu flywheel, there is a coupler bolted the the 407's crank that slides over splines on the torque converter, everything hydraulic on this loader is ran off the flywheel nothing in the front. Also I have 5.9 liter cummins engine, and some detroit diesel 6v92ta's. Any suggestions are appreciated! I'm sure someone here has repowered one of these old 65's! :beatsme thanks, Andrew
What part of michigan are you in? Iron mountain?
Go with the 5.9 & be done with it! Hopefully its a T version & If the engine is good you wont have to touch it again. Just my 2cents.
I have been reading up on International D and DT series engines as I have come to realize I have a D282 in my Trojan. I am familiar with the DT 360's and DT 466's from the truck market. I see the DT407 is similar to the DT361 but do not know how these engines compare to the 360 or the 466. I have seen a few people regard the DT407 as one of the best engines IH has ever produced, capable of surpassing the 60,000hr mark. Thats pretty impressive. I am a big fan of the DT360 but do not have the knowledge as of yet to recommend it over the 407. Good luck, I am interested in seeing how this goes.
Quoted by stumpjumper83: "If your looking for a ih d-361 remember that IH also overpopulated this country with farm tractors. Your 361 is setting in an 806 or 1206 diesel somewhere. 407's can be found in 856 & 1256. Now Ih wasnt know to change alot of stuff for fun and games, I believe bolt patterns are the same from the d-282 all the way thru the dti-466's. One of the best ih tractor motor was the 414 turbo, motor to the 1066 tractor, without turbo, 966 tractor. If your willing to put in a red motor, you should be able to find a running motor for $2500."
I've done some searching and can't find a 407 or 361 anywhere near me, I found a few cranks but they are $1,000+ not worth it to me because if i start fixing the dt407 i'm going to want to completely rebuild it so i know what i have. I have decided to go with the isuzu 6bd1t, it's a 5.8L turbocharged inline 6. Stock makes slightly more power and torque than the dt407, out of a much smaller displacement. i have read they are more reliable, quieter, and efficient than a 5.9L cummins and are commonly seen over the 40,000hr mark. they also made 4 cylinders and these engines went in anything from excavators to school busses. many people are starting to use these for conversions in their pickups. I have 3 low mileage models laying out back from busses so parts and replacement engines are readily available:thumbsup. Anyway, the bellhousing is the same. what I need to do is make an adapter to bolt the coupler from the dt407 flywheel to the isuzu flywheel. I have a friend with a machine shop so it's something i can tackle myself. Doing it this way i should be done with only about $3500 invested in the loader, plus some time i don't mind wasting, and have a more powerful, quieter, and efficient than factory H65.
Keep us posted, I want to see it when you're done. Sounds interesting...
Sure thing, I pulled the motor out of the weeds this afternoon been sitting for over 5 years hooked a few batteries to her got it crankin with the line in a bucket of fuel, bled the lines till it looked clear cracked em tight and she popped right off, a little sputtin and cleared up. Sounds nice, pretty quiet, smooth, pops right off once it was bled out. It's a 1980 engine all mechanical, pull cable cut-off, mechanical guages. The flywheel looks much easier to adapt than I thought, It was bolted to an allison, the crank end comes out a few inches past the solid steel flywheel and a flexplate is bolted to that, if there isn't a balance to the dt407's flywheel i can mill the center out to slide over the crank end on the isuzu and bolt the international flywheel to the already tapped holes on the isuzu flywheel. Then space the bellhousing accordingly so the coupler on the flywheel slides the right amount of distance onto the torque converter, fab some motor mounts and hook up the essentials and done.. sounds like alot less work on the computer screen :Banghead I'll make sure to take some pictures of it as it goes along, I'm still in a neck brace from an accident so i'm just pickin away here and there when i have a hand from someone.
Whatever you put in it make sure the weight is made up to be the same.. Seen a H65B repowered with a much lighter Cummins then the original and now it flips up on two wheels quite easily...
hi, fordcummins: since this posting is 2013,hoping that you could please respond to me. i'm interested in the 6BD1T engines and or parts. please use my company email: [email protected] OR if anyone has parts or whole engine for isuzu MR or HR chassis and 6BD1 or 6BD1T engine please contact me through forum or preferably my company. we run two 1985 isuzu diesel trolleys in estes park colorado. regards, [email protected]