I need some technical assistance from the HEF hydraulic system Guru's, please. I'm thinking about a set of hydraulically adjustable construction forks, not just tine spacing but also side-shift capability. I will be contacting Dymax to see about a custom set of forks. I'm aware that I will require both 3rd and 4th hydraulic circuits to accomplish both functions. They will attach to a Deere 624J with a single 2-axis EH joystick for F-N-R and boom/bucket control, I would prefer to have a 2-axis EH joystick to control the forks as well. When you pull the joystick backwards it spreads the tines, push forward they close, move it right they shift right together, push it left they shift left together. Is this all a pipe dream or is it possible? Thanks....
Really, no one here has any idea if what I'm looking to accomplish is possible? With all the mechanical/technical genius in HEF I thought for sure someone could offer some guidance or advice. I have already spoken with the folks at Dymax and they are putting a design and quote together for the forks and I have checked David Brown's website for EH Pilot Controllers and valve bodies but I don't have a clue what to look for. HELP!!
It's doable, just depends on how much money you want to spend. On a standard lift truck this called sideshift and fork positioners. This could be done with a single directional valve and set of hoses with a function valve mounted near the carriage. The operating lever would require a switch to select the secondary function (you would determine primary and secondary functions). It all depends on if you want to make it look OEM or not. I would wait and see what the quotation is and then price component parts and see which is more economical to you.
Thanks BillG, I appreciate the reply, Carl at Dymax gave me a ballpark of 20K for the forks and that would seem inline with budgetary constraints. This is not my personal machine but my employer's who have given permission to find a more productive and less time consuming alternative to the current manual JRB construction forks. An OEM appearance is not important functionality is, I had not considered a single-axis EH controller with a switch to change function. I am assigned to an extremely busy Utility Division where whatever can save us time, money and make us more productive has a green light from upper management. After pricing new loaders and after demo'ing quite a few it has been decided to spend the money to upgrade the Deere 624J. Nortrax has informed us that for less than half the cost of a new 624K we can rebuild her, make her better, faster, stronger and more productive. Adding hydraulically adjustable forks goes a long way in productivity and if the budget allows a Dymax CamLock quick coupler will be included since the JRB is absolutely pathetic in tightly coupling any attachment.
yes jd have all the parts usa & australia army run j/d loader with forks you can get joystick with toggle switch in handals knobs
if you took the forks etc from a rough terain lift then plumed it into your secondary joystik, would that work for you? instead of attaching to the forklift mast it hooks to loader via adapter plate. hyd in place on forks already just acouple of quick couplers for hyd junction to loader. secondary joystik runs oil out to couplers.
I'd suggest switching the fnr back to the steering console(yes it can be done and it isnt that hard no matter what the dealership says) and swapping the joystick to a 4 button sure grip to control the forks. Or , convert the fnr and swap out the single lever for a 4 lever valve bank.
I appreciate all the feedback fellow HEF Members, seems Dymax got their "ballpark" quote just a little off, by about 22k so the side-shift function is out the window. I have checked with Nortrax -our local JD dealer- they have assured me that they have all the necessary parts in stock to add a 3rd hydraulic circuit with joystick. As for relocating F-N-R control to the steering column -yes, easy to do- but it's much easier and faster to operate with it in the joystick. Thanks again for all the replies...