Hi guys. Chris from central PA here. I just purchased a Case 580K. The guy I bought it from said it was a 1986 model year, but I was under the impression that they didn't start making these until 1997. I could be wrong. I looked up the serial number on the "Equipment Watch" website, and it says it's an '87. Anyway, it's an early model. I guess it's what they call a Phase 1. At least that's what I come up with when I search for a service manual for it. And that leads me to my first question. Does anybody know where I can download a PDF version of the service manual for this beast? It's a pre-JJG016001 serial number, so it appears that I need the the Phase 1 manual. Actually, I would like to have all the manuals for it. Owners, parts, diagrams etc. Whatever I can get. Print verions are too expensive for me. I would love to get these for free, but I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount if need be. I really need the manuals, because this thing is going to need a LOT of work. Also, if anybody has any suggestions on where is the best place to get some of the less common stuff listed below, I would appreciate it. Here's my shopping list so far: 24" to 36" Hoe bucket. Extender cylinder hose. Turn signal/brake light housing covers/lenses. Light bulbs. Seat. Wiring and fuses. Neutral safety switch (possibly). floor mat. Shuttle shifter repair parts. Door hinge pin (top). Door seals (both sides). Air intake/hood seal. Serpentine belt. Brakes. Parking brake. All oils and filters. sheet metal to repair cab corners. Air conditioner retrofit kit/or just gut and replace. Runners for bottom of loader bucket. tooth rack for loader bucket. This is just the preliminary list.
GO to tradebit dot com & pay the dollars required for a download. They are usually reputable versions. Even a $50 download will be worth it if you want to do your own repairs. FREE versions of manuals are very hard to come by & unless you know where it is coming from or have been invited to have a copy from someone - the websites are dodgy.
Wengers in Myerstown east of Hershey has a lot of case stuff. For some items you are stuck with going to the dealer. Messicks equipment has all the filters you will need but some can be had at NAPA also. You forgot to mention the window latches for the back slider. Grab your wallet when you go for them at the dealer. I have a 1988K 4X4 e-hoe and it is a rugged machine. As far as a seat I rebuilt mine and recovered it with some outdoor rated vinyl material from Joann fabric. Was expensive but worth it. Clean all the crap out of the floor pan screws and take out the pans and pressure wash the housing down from above before you get working on things. You will be glad you did.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I will buy the PDF version of the manuals from eBay. Yea, I figured I should be able to get at least some of the filters at NAPA. I need the short hose that goes from the main valve housing to the hard line for the E-Hoe cylinder. I think I might be able to get that at NAPA as well. Strangely enough, the rear slider window latches are fine. Go figure. I was thinking about rebuilding my seat, but it's too far gone. Even the wood platform is half rotted away, and the whole damn thing smells like squirrel urine. I'm writing that baby off. It looks like Tractor supply might have a top section that I might be able to mount to the frame. We'll see. I will probably have to take the floor pans out to get to the 4x4 shifter mechanism and diff-lock anyway, so I'll take your suggestion Bill. Wengers is pretty far away for me, but I'll check out their web site. Looks like I'll be working on this project for most of the summer. Oh well. Thanks again.
I just bought this seat for my 580SE and it is very comfortable. Michigan Seat Contoured Industrial Seat, Model# V-900 Item 1754. $89.99
We have a super E 4x4. Lights I might just replace completely with led lights, got ours from a tractor trailer supply house. Hoses you should be able to get made. Floor mat, yours would be the first in the real world I've seen with one. Don't skimp on redoing the wiring if you want it to last. Somebody will chime in with a parts supplier, we've not had anything break besides a hydraulic fitting for the steering. That I believe was the only part that has come directly from Case. Tom
I have an 87 580K that had many of the same issues. The first thing I did was go to town cleaning the machine, change all the fluids and filters, replace bulbs, fuses, apply dielectric grease to as many connectors as I could, this fixed a few issues and revealed a few more. For the seat I found an outfit on ebay that sells reproduction seat cushions,it was an easy bolt in deal, made a big difference in comfort. I removed the floor mat, it had trapped moisture and a ton of dirt under it and had rusted the floor significantly. I removed the floor panels (as well as the tool and battery boxes) and had them sprayed with truck bed liner. For filters, hoses, belts, fuses and the like a good auto parts store should have or be able to get most of what you need. I've also done a lot of business with my local Case dealership, rarely the cheapest option but they've been very helpful and have always been able to get anything I've needed in a day or two. There are a few online parts sources that I've had good experiences with finding parts for the 580K, Coleman equipment and Broken tractor
Update, and uh-oh. Well, I took quite a few of the suggestions i received in this thread. So far so good on the little things, and a few big ones too. In the past two days I got a new serpentine belt, upper radiator hose, air filters and the extender hose installed. That was fun. :| I cleaned up some wiring, replaced fuses and removed the blower motor to rebuild. I took the floor mat and pad out, and they were so brittle that they fell apart upon removal. Not suprising. Still working on the lights. Now comes the bad news. While checking for leaks from the new hose, I found a major problem that I had not seen before. There is a small crack in the lower section of the main boom cylinder. Yes, the really expensive one. It's near the bottom, just up from the lower hydraulic fitting. Appears to be right on a weld that runs partially around the circumference. I suspect that the weld should not be there, and was probably a repair. I didn't see it because it's painted over, and looks like a factory weld. The leak is very slow, but will undoubtedly get bigger over time. So the question is, Is this repairable? Can it be welded? If so, do I have to take the whole thing apart and drain it, to safely weld it? I really don't want to have to spend the twelve hundred bucks or so to replace this thing, but I guess that's obvious. Any ideas?
Common problem cd, yes can be welded, but to to an effective repair the old weld must be fully removed. This is best done with it off the machine. I usually strip the cyl & take the barrel to a machine shop , where they remove the weld in a lathe, usually finding alot of carbon in the join of the cyl & cap. It could also be done by gouging & rewelding. Hitting it with a grinder & welding the crack, will hold for a while, but they always seem to crack again.
Thanks alrman. I'm going to try to put it off until later in the year. Hopefully it won't get any worse until then. I'll plan on tearing the whole thing apart, and taking it to a more experienced welder, with better equipment than I have. Now on to all the other c#$p I gotta fix.
Let me know how you make out with our online manual.. I have an 87' as well with original operators manual and a hard copy of the part diagram. I have a PDF version of a 92-94 580K that is helpful but I'd like to get the correct version at some point in time.
Well, I got the service manual on CD-Rom from an eBay vendor, and got the printed version for the operators manual from Finney Equipment & Parts. They both seem to be very complete, but I don't have the original printed manuals to compare them to, so I don't know HOW complete. They have both been very useful though. I should point out that the operators manual actually has some information that the service manual does not. It's especially helpful if you're new to Case brand backhoes. I wouldn't bother with the parts manuals/books, since you can look up all the part numbers right on the Case website.
I know the factory manual is pushing $500 at the dealer and is quite large. I'm sure the aftermarket ones are not as complete but anything is better then nothing when your working on something your not familiar with.
Hey, where are you at in Central PA? I live in Selinsgrove, and work in Williamsport. I am looking at an 87 580K tomorrow and have been searching for manuals too. Which ebay vendor did you buy from?
I got my service manual from "entropy4040". He claims to have the best/most complete PDF manual available. I live in Julian. Just west of State College, near Black Moshannon State Park. Been to Williamsport many times. I hit the "Grizzly" store in Muncy about twice a year. Some advice about the 580K. Check EVERYWHERE for leaks. I found some in places I didn't even know were possible. I have leaks in the front axle, Hydraulic reservoir(?) and main boom cylinder(cracked weld). Cab rust is pretty common as well. When bargaining the price, overestimate both the time and cost of repairs by a factor of four. So far I have about 35 to 40 hours and close to $1500.00 in repairs, and I'm only about 3/4 done!! If the machine is clean, in good shape and not full of rust.... BUY IT!!! You won't regret it. The rust issue has cost me more time than any other factor. It took me close to 12 hours alone in labor to remove and replace the cracked/rusty exhaust manifold. Cutting, hammering, chiseling, grinding, drilling and re-tapping for hours on end, was NOT fun! Be thorough when inspecting. There are a multitude of issues that you really have to look for, because they can be well-hidden. Good luck.
Very cool. My wife is from the Spring Mills area, and I think has an uncle in Julian. Small world. But I ended up buying the 580K that I went to look at. Very tight and well running machine with only 1433 hours on it. There few line leaks were fixed that day before I got there. The one stabilizer does leak down a little bit sitting over night. No biggie for me to fix. Getting 2 new tires before I get it. And best of all, no rust at all! Now to get it transported to my place and start digging!
this has both the service manual and the parts manual for the 580K for one price.... https://casemanual.net/store/produc...vice-manual-parts-catalog-2-manuals-download/