I remeber seeing as a kid growing up in the late 1960s early 1970s a late 60s GMC truck most likely a C30/C35 With a old JONH DEERE Backhoe On it. has anyone seen some thing like and please post pics if they have them used to be quite common to mount a backhoe on a truck
I saw something like that mounted to a '48 Dodge Power-Wagon a couple years ago. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me at the time. Definitely a custom job. I doubt that there were/are any OEM type of outfits that did this in quantity. It's likely to be more of a custom , one-off type of thing. Due to current regulations, I doubt that you will ever see one on a "Newer" truck.
What kind of backhoe was it I think hopto did that
Local gas company had one mounted on a Ford F750 in the 80s, it was built for trucks, would fold up over the bed to reduce height and length for travel. The bucket pivot became the highest part of the rig, nothing extended past the end of the bed. Edit - I found it - http://www.mastercraftforklift.com/pdf/backhoe.pdf
Do you have any pics
"What kind of backhoe was it I think hopto did that" Don't know. It was painted green, like the rest of the truck. Too small to be from a regular tractor/backhoe.
We had one back in the 70's. Not sure what brand the hoe was, but my stepdad got it off a old Cat dozer. Had one of those old Wisconson V4 engines mounted behind the cab to run it. It was a old late 60's half ton GM pickup. I never used it, but he said it worked OK... Truck was a little lightweight for it though. [old coil sprung GM half ton.]
S1120 Do you have any pics of it
I dont sorry. I was young at the time, and didnt think to take any. If I do trip over something Ill post it up.
What is the advantage of this truck mount? I am missing something here. Can you move the truck with out leaving the seat of the backhoe? My main reason for owning 3 mini excavators is for their ease of maneuver ability.
Man there is one in the town close to where i live it was on a International truck with a ford backhoe . and they just took it off the truck last week . sorry i didnt see this sooner . sorry
It's about the speed of getting to the job and back again. The utility company could drive it right to the job on a city street, run it for a couple hours and drive it home again, with no trailer and no time spent loading/unloading, and much faster than a tractor-backhoe. Not nearly as versatile or handy as a mini excavator, but they weren't made back then, and you have a lot of room to work in the middle of a street.
Ah-hah! But mini-excavators were made, back then! From around 1956, you could buy a trailer-mount backhoe from the Steelweld company of Australia (Steelweld built the Australian-built Cats under licence, before Cat built their own factory in Australia, in 1957). The Steelweld Midget Digger was trailerable behind a Holden utility, was powered by a 6HP Wisconsin, and weighed just 2530lbs! It had 2-lever controls, a breakout force of 3600lbs, a digging depth of 5', a reach of 9', and bucket options ranged from 4" to 12" wide. http://i47.tinypic.com/4fvajs.jpg
I remember seeing a full size backhoe mounted on the back of a Ford C series flatbed back in the mid 60s. I was real young and don't remember the mechanics of the thing. More recently, Con Edison used to have small backhoes mounted in the back of F-350 pickups in the 80s. I think compact excavators have replaced most of them.
I've actually seen a few of these and they were always Samson backhoes usually on a Ford.I have coffee once in awhile with an old timer who had the last one I remember seeing.I'll ask him if he has any info/pics.
Ya, the main reason was just ease of moving it. My step dad did the swap becouse it took so long to move the dozer to where you were digging. Truck was nice, quick and easy.
The Army combat enginers had something that sounds like what you are talking about. It was mounted on a Mercides Unimog chassie. The backhoe was a Case 530 and a front loader that was made by Case. You could operate the loader from the back hoe seat and could use the back hoe to move it around. It was imported, then built by Freightliner for the Army. It had a top speed of 65 mph. In low transfer, it would crawl a wall. You would need to take some sea sickness pills if you were going to drive at highway speeds. It worked fairly well if you were well versed with it's operation, but it could be a pain in the butt if you dident have a clue. They were being phased out when I retired from the Army in 1998 and a few National Guard units still had them untill 2005. It was called a CEE and thats all I can remember about them model wise. I looked through some old Army pictures and couldent find any, but i am sure that it can be found some were on the internet
in Europe it exist excavators on unimogs, there are made from schaeff http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcinen/3457972089/sizes/l/in/photostream/
Old55Pete I believe the Unimog's you speak of were called the SEE which stood for Small Emplacement Excavator, pretty neat idea and I think the backhoe attachment was from the old 580's where they had to boom cylinders. TAM do you have any more pictures of that Unimog excavator you posted?
yes , it are a lot, only search on google images: unimog excavator
You can buy these through GSA....they are a maintenance nightmare.
Ohhh that's what you were looking for...I thought you were looking for this. You get a link because of the stupid 640x640 photo dimensions. http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/156713_10150113934021153_7056323_n.jpg
Burnout, that is a sweet ride. I love it.
Burnout - I'll wager that's the fastest Case in the county!
NCCCO Truck Mounted Backhoe (Pullshovel)Operator :eek
Excavator on Unimog We have mounted several excavators / backhoes on Unimog. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcinen/3447401546/ and more here: http://www.coveston.fi/photogallery/PERUSKONESOVITUKSET_KAIVURIT/Unimog/index.html
I know this thread is pretty old but if your still wondering you should check out jjkane.com. they do a lot of utility company auctions and are the only place I've ever seen them sold. they're getting harder to find because of micro excavators but you'll see them every once in a while.
I just seen this old post for the first time. UNIMOG made the loader/backhoe setup on the 406 chassis and marketed them thru Case in the U.S. As the base machine was only 10 ft long they were only geared for 40 MPH. The state of Minnesota had a bunch of them in the later 70s.
No these aren't unimogs they're internationals some as new as 2003 usually with a john deere hoe. I've honestly only ever sean them at the jjkane auctions in illinois indiana and michigan. midwest thing i guess
this thread from 2012 recently commented... Yes, these are seen regularly/daily as the truck mounted backhoe is quite popular since they are in utility company(ies)' gas service work fleet. A notable truck body mfg in Pomona California shows this nicely on their web page.