Hello, new to the forums here. I just had some observations about my machine, and some questions, mostly out of curiosity to see if anyone else has seen the same sort of thing. Supposedly this machine is an 80C, has 80C stickers on it, and supposedly its a 2004 model, which should put it in 80C production years. I went to get parts for it (filters and whatnot) and they were all wrong. Digging around on the deere parts website, comparing 80 and 80C, this machine is through and through a straight 80, has the 80 style tinwork, engine, etc. One other thing I noticed when looking at the other 80s and 80Cs for sale out there is their serial number tag says "Made in Japan", and the serial number has a different build location code, same number of digits though. Mine has a 13 digit format, and says "Made in Mexico". Has anyone else seen this type of thing with crossover between models? Seems like the guys in mexico got the 80C stickers, but had a bunch of 80 parts laying around, and built an "80C". Or I was lied to and someone repainted this machine and slapped 80C stickers on it...? Anyways, glad to be a member of the forums now. I gleaned a lot of information from here last year when I was rebuilding a 350 dozer, so thanks to all the knowledgeable contributors to this forum. Matt
Here's a couple of pictures
And SN tag
This may be a sticker up grade.make it a newer machine worth more $$$$
Yea probably. Even so, it does look and act like a well kept machine.
Yep, always worth more and run better after you slap some paint and stickers on it especially if the stickers are for a better model
Looking at the cab you have a straight 80. On the C model cab the post behind the door is much larger. Google Deere 80C and you will see the difference. One of the oldest tricks in the used excavator salesmans bag, put newer stickers on it. Depending on what you paid for it you, if you're happy with it, no problem. Otherwise you should be able to go after the person who sold it to you for false advertising. Personally, I think the straight 80 is a better machine than the 80C.
Welcome to HEF Matt ! It is a straight 80.
Roger that. Yea I did a bunch of looking at pictures to note the differences, another tell tale sign is the 80C doesn't have the raised engine hood over the engine. I did pay a good chunk of change for it, on par with other machines of the same hours and condition, so I think it was a fair deal. I think I'm gonna call the guy that sold it to me and see if I can nail down the story. What has you thinking the 80 is a better machine? I know the yanmar in this is a good engine, some of the guys around here have them in their skidsteers and love them.
Haha I figured, I didn't know if the X had something to do with it until I had looked up all the SN stuff after I bought the machine. I know better now!!
My serial number information shows the machine as a 2000 model year.
Almost impossible to win in court. You would have to prove it was grossly misrepresented. Buyer beware and do your due diligence. Wrong stickers don't justify a lawsuit especially when, as you say, you can look on the internet to see what it is. Now if the serial number tag was ripped off and advertising showed an 80C but when it was delivered was a different machine, then you'd have a case. If everyone who bought a machine with the wrong stickers went to court, the courts would be full for decades.
Yep, been going on for decades and not just in the equipment arena... used cars are a prime example, there are literally tens of thousands of fake muscle cars, collector cars and other 'misrepresented' vehicles out there that people shell out big bucks for only to find out that their hard to find mustang is actually a mercury capri https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/the-great-clone-controversy/
The 80 would be a -5 Hitachi and the 80C would be a ZX Hitachi. The -5 machines seemed to operate smoother and from my experience had very few mechanical problems.
Ok thanks for looking it up!
Yea I don't think I need to get into that, it's not like the condition of the machine was incorrectly represented. I'm more interested in finding out the true story. Looks like JohnC gave me the year of the machine, so that helps.
Great information, thanks!! I had the thought that since the 80C has more than one main hydraulic pump it might help with sharing hydraulic power between the different functions, the 80 setup is a single pump. Granted that single pump flows almost as much as the 80Cs two main pumps combined. Less pumps, less to go wrong I guess.
The misrepresentation is obvious and would be ruled in favor of the damaged party. Just putting the decal on the machine is prima facia evidence of deceit. The amount of damages is what would have to be proved. The question the trier of fact would have to determine would be, was the price paid more than or out of range of the market value of a machine sold with the proper identification. That would take place in a civil court. Is it worth the cost of all that would entail? You are talking paying attorneys and expert witnesses who charge in the hundreds of dollars and hour. There is a criminal element as well in that the seller may have committed a fraud which is a felony in most states that I know of. The issue in all of this is not the question of a dishonest entity committing a fraud though. The issue is finding a law enforcement entity that would pursue the case on what to them is a property crime and of small value in their view. Now if there were hundreds of complaints that hit the news media that might be another story.