Hi my name is Doug and I just purchase a Michigan ag 55 and have some questions. I have never owned something like this before but have done lots of work on cars and motorcycles. I am not planning on using it commercially just lifting heavy stuff on our property and maybe if I could plow the driveways. It runs and drives and the hydraulics work. Nothing is pouring out but there are some drips. First I am assuming that I can buy a used bucket for this and it would fit on? It has the continental 6 which seems to run all right and I can test compression and oil pressure. Previous owner said that some one came out an installed new brakes, don't know any more about that. One concern I have is that it doesn't seem to have much power. We drove it around on the previous owners property and I notice that a small hill was a struggle. Don't know if the engine is tired has no power or if it could have something wrong in the torque converter? The transmission dipstick says it is full and the fluid looks good and like transmission fluid. I don't know how peppy these things are suppose to be but even the flat bed hauler guy said doesn't seem to have much power. When I shift it into forward of reverse there is no hesitation it shifts instantly. I would like to fix this up and sort of restore it back to usable shape. Here are some pictures.
Doug, If it starts and runs, and if it stops when you use the brakes, and it lifts anything up and down, you are doing good! (much better than the old machines that are only holding the ground down) You'll probably have to make some old bucket fit. Cutting and welding. They were not very powerful. The Continental is a flat head, no? I once saw an advertisement for Towmotor forklifts that touted the benefit of a flat head engine; the benefit was that the engine could smoothly idle for extended amounts of time without stalling. There was no mention about the power of the engine... It looks usable as it is, from your pictures, better than most. Fixing it up would be great!
This place http://www.minnpar.com/constructionequipmentparts.asp has used machines for parts, I'd start there -
Thanks for the responses. This will take some time to sort out what I have and what will need to be done. Should be a good challenge though. There is one part that I am not sure what it is suppose to do. It has hydraulic lines but they have been disconnected. Here is a picture of it. Maybe some one can tell what it is for.
Might want to check the tranny linkage and make sure you are in low gear. If it hasn't been run for awhile I would not get to excited about the engine until you have had a chance to get new fuel through it, change fuel filters, and get it warmed up good a few times. Tranny filter may be due to change also. Try the little stuff first. It looks to be decent shape. It might of had a decent life at a saw mill. As stated the continentals were not a rocket by any means.
I can't see it too good in your pic Doug, it's not some remote latch for the forks / tool carrier is it?
That's the automatic bucket leveler.
I found the problem with the lack of power. I got a hold of an operators manual and noticed that they were talking about 4 speeds. Two in work range and two in travel range. So I looked further and found that there is a range lever next to the seat. It was completely buried in old junk. I realized the person involved in selling it didn't have any clue that it was there. So we were in travel range as we tested this thing out. I found that in the middle is a neutral and all the way forward is work range. It is still not neck snapping acceleration but I can tell there is a big difference in engine speed and ground speed in the two different positions. It appears to be a gear driven reducer as I did catch a gear grind noise if I didn't have the other two levers in neutral. I need to fix the brakes better as right now there is no power booster that I can see and there is a quick coupling on the front fork hydraulic line area that leaks. Wiring needs to be redone and there is some play in the steering.
Welcome Doug Nice machine! Looks like it would be great to have a tree pusher in the front and a winch on the back. If you take a month or so you should be able to find a winch on Craig's list pretty cheap l just saw one here with the hydraulic motor attached Cheap. Good luck