Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just bought a Takeuchi TL-26 yesterday

mbx5 ยท 2015-08-02 00:48

From a friend of a friend.... 2600 hours, pretty good shape. Worn pins, cosmetic wear, but the price was right - under $10k with a bucket and forks. Undercarriage and tracks seem good. Ran it for about an hour today, and it took a dump... I traced it down to a fuel issue. I am not sure if it was the vent hose that was plugged, or that the manual pump handle was unscrewed and popped up... I also checked the fuel filter, had fuel in it, and it was recently changed. Got some either, got it primed, and it ran fine afterward.... For about another hour... This time it seemed that it started to run out of power, seemed strained....engine wanted to stall, and hydraulics seemed pretty warm. I wasn't beating it too hard - moving dirt, prob 2/3 throttle. About 75-80 degrees today, not too humid... I read some other folks having this issue as well.... I am nervous that something may be starting to fail - last thing I want to do is buy a pump motor for almost what i have in the thing... Should I flush the hydraulics and put a new filter and oil in it? It calls for 10W-40 motor oil?? I believe that the previous owner had AW46 in it. Other than that - I am trying to be pretty pumped about owning it lol....it is doing quite a nice job around the house for clearing, etc - I hoped to get new pins, do a refresh paint job, etc - but I'm a bit concerned.... Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1lantraxco2015-08-02 02:38

    At your outside temperature and working the hydraulics will normally get hot enough you don't want to put your hand on cylinders or steel lines, if you're not getting warnings I wouldn't worry too much about that. Don't know what Tak calls for but again in 80 degree weather AW46 should be okay, unless your oil cooler needs blowing out. More likely still a fuel issue, try loosening the fuel cap in case there's a plugged breather, blow the lines out gently, see what happens.

  2. #2clintm2015-08-02 08:01

    does it have an Isuzu engine? It's most likely got an inline fuel filter some where probley in a banjo fitting thats starving it for fuel

  3. #3movindirt2015-08-02 14:27

    ^^^ x2 we had a TL26 that had a banjo fitting on the injection pump I think. The screen in it would get plugged up, we cleaned it out and cleaned out the fuel tank and didn't have any issues after that. I would try that before I drained the whole hydraulic system. Can we get some pictures of your new toy? :drinkup

  4. #4mbx52015-08-03 00:16

    Thanks for the help. Got a lot of work done today...this thing sure moves some dirt. I'll post some pics shortly....she's not pretty - definitely could use some paint... I'll take care of that over the winter....it's going to have an easy life from here out - will be a garage queen lol.

  5. #5mbx52015-08-03 00:26
  6. #6movindirt2015-08-03 14:33

    Nice! :thumbsup the TL26 is a rugged machine for sure. We repainted ours, iirc the original paint from the dealer wasn't too pricey, same with the decals.

  7. #7Jeepwalker2015-08-03 20:27

    Looks like you got a nice rig for the $$!!