Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just Bought an Ex. , Now some questions.

jturbo ยท 2014-12-23 12:06

Hi all, I bought a Volvo EC160c with selectable single/bi-directional Aux Hydraulics. Along the way, I have also acquired a used Helac Tilt Coupler. It appears that I can control the flow rate from the hydraulic setup page. I dont see a way to control the pressure, however. THe Helac wants a max pressure of 3750 PSI. The AUX looks like it can go up to 5000PSI. Will there typically be a manually set relief valve Aux Hydraulics to dial down the output pressure? Per the operator manual, there is an option for electronic Pressure control, but I must not have that option installed. If anyone know where on the machine I can look for a manual valve, that would be most helpful! Thanks All.

Replies7
  1. #1mikebramel2014-12-24 17:36

    You don't want to set the relief lower than the pumps cut off as you will be almost constantly flowing through the relief valve. You will generate much heat very fast. If the desired pressure for that attachment is that low in relation to the system pressure you are better off setting the cut off on the pump lower or buying the pressure control addon you are talking about

  2. #2Firemanmike692014-12-24 19:55

    There should be individual relief cartridges that can be adjusted for the helac, set it to the reccomend pressure

  3. #3Ben Witter2014-12-24 19:57

    You will have to set the port reliefs to the value recommended for the attachment. If you hold the attachment over relief for an extended period of time you will create some heat. You can adjust your flow using the menu in the display to help control the speed of the attachment. The port reliels are on the main control valve near the outlet for the X1 or auxiliary circuit. They should be in line withe spool and ports of that section of the valve. You can add the pressure control option but it still works off the port reliefs and is mainly beneficial if you run multiple attachments that require different pressure settings.

  4. #4uffex2014-12-25 07:01

    View attachment EC160 option.pdf Good day Jturbo The heat generated by intermittent use of the relief valve is unlikely to cause any real issue that it cannot cope with in our experience, however if your attachment requires the pressure to be lower on both sides of the circuit some additional installation work will be required. One other point worth consideration is if this were one of many attachments used in the application, a system with multiple adjustments from the operator station would be worthy of consideration. If we can be of further assistance please come back to us. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5uffex2014-12-25 12:24

    Good day Jturbo Sorry overlooked that you have the "C" model flow adjusted at the display not the switch. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6jturbo2014-12-26 09:48

    Thanks Uffex, Apologies if my questions are very basic. I am very much a newbie with this stuff. I will look for the pressure adjuster that you mentioned in the excatech document. Is this relief valve likely to be on my machine if I dont have the cab adjustable pressure option? Ill reach to the Helac folk to understand if the powertilt needs to see reduced pressure on both sides of circuit. Im thinking that the answer is yes as it is a bi-directional tool. I dont see any way to adjust the relief pressure on the PowerTilt unit itself. I dont think that I will be changing attachments very often, so I see a manual setting as perfectly acceptable. I see the following options: 1. Contact the dealer to understand the cost involved in adding capability to adjust the pressures from the cab thru the display. 2. Tee off of the Main Aux line and provide an pressure relief valve and line specific for the powertilt. Thanks, John

  7. #7uffex2014-12-26 11:35

    Good day John If you have the option equipment installed for sure the valve is there, we would suggest that you lower the pressure on both sides using the standard shock valve (Engine side) and the option valve as shown in the info to the level required by the attachment supplier Powertilt, I doubt if if you have remote pressure adjustment whilst this is a Volvo option it is not very common. If it dont't show up on the display it is not there and it could be expensive to install. if you are not going to use it forget it. The "C" model has the provision to read the pressure from the dispplay so if you dead end the line you can read the pressure in the cabin after adjustment. As always if you need more help come back to us at Excatech.com. Kind regards Uffex