I have been working on a storage trailer that has a roll up door. I put a 40" walkin door and tined in the rest of the opening.I left the old door in place till it was done. Today i was cutting the old door up and i was down to the last 3 sections. I got one side out and as i was takeing the other side out it folded up and hit me just above the upper lip. It left a 1" cut and rolled the skin down. Just before it happen i was thinking about doing stuff all by my self. I was very lucky it could have been realy bad. It gave me a good scare.
It seems we don't practice the safety measures we use at work, at home. I am probably most guilty in this. Even at work I occasionally get caught doing stupid **** , one of the guys once said to me, "If you saw the apprentice do that, you'd be all up his @ss." Sometimes I don't see how silly or stupid I am behaving until someone viewing points it out or I wind up in the ER. Glad it wasn't worse for you, but hey, scars build character, AND CHICKS DIG SCARS.
Me too, me too. I do stupid stuff at home that I would crawl one my guy's asses for on the job. What kind of logic does that make?
So what exactly got ya? The door panel or the roll up cable? Just how bad was it? Hope nothing more than a band-aid.
I was cutting the door panels in half and down to the last 3. They were stuck half way up l cut them and pulled out the right side i was pulling the left side off the rollers when it folded up. They were the very top ones and the top one had a metal edge. When it came down my arms wornt long enought to get away from it and the metal edge cut me open. I was spitting blood so i thought it had cut clear through and it pealed a thin layer of skin down i was thinking about the emergency room being it was sunday. I locked every thing up and went to the house i washed off some blood and put some ice on it after some time the bleeding slowed down i looked at it agin. I tryed to push the skin back up but it wasnt working out so i got the scissors and cut it off.I had a nurse look at it and she said it could use some stiches but would be ok as is if i used some alcohol on it. That was no fun. It hasnt bleed today so i think it will be ok.
Whoa! That sounds like a rough ride. Not that it matters any more. You're so right, could've been much worse. I can't think of anything to have made it safer except helpers and lots of vise grips here and there. We really, all of us, need to do objective job hazard assessments. Then we'd never get anything done.
I think some times you need a little wake up to make you aware of what can happen. Maybe it will save you from the big one.
Your fine CM . That rule fall's under " Do as I say … Not as I do ." Happens to me all the time .
Ask my wife how I got my latest scar putting away the patio furniture for the winter.......... When she offered to help I should have known better and replied "no thanks dear, I'll manage on my own". A trained monkey would have been more help. There we were moving a bench seat. She suddenly stopped and I didn't so it led to me performing a perfect pirouette and head-butting a brick wall - Ouch. Blood everywhere.
Kinda like - "When I want your opinion I'll tell you what it is" .........
I'm guessing your bride never comes on this board.
I'm hoping not, but I left her in no doubt at the time just what I thought of her efforts to help, so much so that I resorted to using words of one syllable ........
I just try to play the part of " Pa Kettle " ….. Pretty sharp with numbers .
So, how does your own cooking taste? Mine is not all that great. Been there and done that.
Thanks to my late mother who was a professional cook my other half knows that I cook better than she does, so that ship sailed long ago .....
Same situation old - iron . Same backup plan when I have to fix the meal . What more could ya want ?
Handy in the garden also
This kinda says it all.
Your picture only shows one:
Most times around here it is the False Courage in a bottle that gets me in trouble. Decide not going to do something as unsafe, have a beer maybe a few, think too long and next day with those thoughts still running inside off I go to engage in something I maybe shouldn't. Will only as a last resort ask the wife for assistance, scary at best, most times too weak to really do what ask, tends to drop her end early or 'Tired' and I take that beating still holding my end. I try to NOT get her involved as the shouting match that ensues gets uglier by the minute and do not need that.
Scars are simple reminders that we should be careful next time. Accidents could happen both in home and work, and anywhere that is why we should keep our safety measures handy at all times.
Doubt I could find enough open skin for a New scar
do as I say not as I do
I'm glad i'm not the only one. My last one was a drill bit into the side of my hand. Knew it was a bad idea to push down the 20v drill with only a 1/8" drill bit, snapped and hand slams down into it. Thought I lucked out as I felt nothing initially, then look at the hand to see the bit into it. No stitches so nothing too bad. Probably my worst habit at home is not wearing safety glasses for some things that I should.
HA, got me a fresh one, although over OLD scars. Set fence post a while back to move a fence line and set up a animal transfer lane from another farm to ours and vs a vs alongside a Brome hay field we have. The renters tried hot wire, calves would just walk through those as spots were low and wire high. The other end is along a drainage creek, fence on pasture to other side of that drain is trash so decided to move the fence as when on the neighbors place they bust the fence to get to hay field. Set the double strand four barb 12 1/2 ga today, A little blood letting occurred.
If I had wanted to live a 100% risk free life I would have stayed in my mothers womb. Scars build character! Git er done!