Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Let’s be careful

funwithfuel · 2019-01-30 06:03

Hi everyone, I know you fellas up north deal with severe cold all the time. We, down here in the midwest, not so much. We sometimes get focused on a task at hand that we lose sight of important things. Things like fingers, toes, ears and nose. It's very cold, -15*f by me. Very windy too. Just remember, we ain't lizards, appendages don't grow back. Once you get a taste of frost bite, it's like the herpes, it'll be with you for life. Take care of yourselves. That little sting is telling you something, don't ignore it.

Replies16
  1. #1Vetech632019-01-30 06:48

    If you live north of Oklahoma...……its stay home and play with the wife weather.

  2. #2uptight excavating2019-01-30 08:02

    It is -38c (pretty much the same in f degrees) in sunny Manitoba today,without the wind.

  3. #3DMiller2019-01-30 08:51

    If you live north of Oklahoma...……its stay home and play with the wife weather. Speak for Yourself!! I been married way too long, she knows why when get playful!!

  4. #4John C.2019-01-30 11:37

    Just came back from Chicago yesterday. Temp was 9 degrees F. When I got there and 3 degrees F when I left. It's supposed to be -25 overnight for a few days now. My ears stung like they were sun burned in the few minutes that I was outside.

  5. #5Junkyard2019-01-30 11:44

    Having lived up north off and on for a decade I’ve experienced cold. Mid 30’s below is the coldest I recall. A friend that lives in the twin cities text me last night, -54 below with the windchill. I’m helping move a crew in KS. Teens with a breeze. It’s tolerable but if it blows much harder it’ll become uncomfortable! I feel for those freezing their appendages off in the great white north!! Old Iron Habit is probably in a speedo on the ice somewhere!

  6. #6DMiller2019-01-30 11:48

    Now there is a UGLY thought to push!!!

  7. #7Graham12019-01-30 15:23

    What gloves do you guys wear for detailed work in such cold conditions? I have thick gloves that keep my fingers warm, but for fine work I need thinner gloves and I really suffer and I’m not experiencing the sort of cold you do. Today was only a few degrees below freezing, but had my hands in snow doing fiddly stuff and my fingers were burning after a short time. Graham

  8. #8DMiller2019-01-30 15:37

    I usually wear heavier leather gloves for severe cold, will swap to Brown Cotton gloves for short periods just to insulate my fingers off the surfaces I am working as well block some wind and then do stop when I need to in getting the fingers warmed back up.

  9. #9funwithfuel2019-01-30 15:41

    I use nitrile gloves under mechanics/ringers gloves or whatever is on sale. The nitrile protects from moisture loss and cracking skin, the other pair buys you maybe 10-12 minutes of work time when you're in the -10 and lower.

  10. #10farmerlund2019-01-30 16:49

    I will wear thin gloves under mittens. Slip the bulky mitten off when you need some dexterity. Than slip mitten back on to warm up or switch hands. Or just leave it till it warms up and sit by the fire with a glass of Crown Royal.

  11. #11DMiller2019-01-30 17:23

    Scotch is also Appropriate!!

  12. #12uptight excavating2019-01-30 17:45

    I wear mitts, gloves or whatever I can to still get the job done. Having said that sometimes you just have to go barehanded. I have permanent damage to my right hand from it being frostbitten way too many times.

  13. #13Jonas3022019-01-30 18:25

    I wear yellow farmers gloves for most work https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/we...lden-brown/0000000075432?bc=10525|10579|10582 keep an extra dozen warm in the truck. Some mittens if you end up walking You can get most stuff done with them on if its going to be more than a short bit with bare hands the torpedo heater and wind blocking tarps and cardboard are going to be out there You really just need to figure out what gear works for you because you cant be to bulky or to cold It was -34f here to today -25f and blowing last night laying under a plow truck getting the air unfroze

  14. #14old-iron-habit2019-01-30 20:31

    I peed a yellow rainbow today! It is still standing. Seriously, I am sticking a magnetic oil pan heater to the side of the 40 lb fish house propane tank with a blanket over it so the propane will vaporize fast enough to keep the furnace flame above a idle. Seems to be the popular solution to cold weather up at the NW Angle.

  15. #15Welder Dave2019-02-01 23:26

    The propane company told us to put a hot plate on the bottom of the tank (500gal) in the colder weather. You just need a little area warm enough to keep the flow up.

  16. #16rondig2019-02-01 23:31

    No problem....the stripper bar has heat lol.