Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just Notified, I Have An Interview With Local 825 NJ

s1100 ยท 2008-01-25 17:54

Can anyone tell me what to expect, what are they watching for, Any advice?

Replies72
  1. #1tonka2008-01-25 18:00

    Nice good luck! I to am in NJ, i work in Kearny.

  2. #2CascadeScaper2008-01-26 04:32

    My interview with my local union was a week and a half ago, I think it went pretty well. Just be yourself, if you didn't pad your resume you'll be fine. My interview seemed very informal, seemed like all they were looking for was to make sure I wasn't a completely worthless individual. If you can prove you're not a bum and answer their questions, you're money, at least that's how my interview went. At this point they know what you're capable of, assuming everything on your resume is legit, seems to me they're looking for people skills.

  3. #3union4life2008-02-03 01:34

    hey s1100 I am a member of local 825,once you get your letter you will have an interview general backround questions, (always good to no a name to through out there)than you will take a test general knowledge when you get in you have to go to training mon-fri 7:00 -3:00 if you have machine experience let them know but they are only intrested in showing you the union way. Local 825 has been good to me I am working steady at Xandu Giant Stadium and also smaller projects.P.S. Boots tied Shirt tail in....

  4. #4s11002008-02-03 16:53

    Thanks everyone for the responses. Union4life: I can't wait, I was afraid I am to old(39) but I have a lot of experience, but perfectly willing to learn the union way. I have a name (an old family friend) but he just got divorced so I don't have his number anymore. One question though, I was going to go in nice work clothes, Should I dress it up a little bit?

  5. #5s11002008-02-03 16:55

    I almost forgot, How long does training last?

  6. #6kamerad472008-02-05 16:33

    I don't want to sound like a downer but a 39 yr old isn't what there looking for! The union is funny there really looking for collage educated people unless you are a female they will hire you tomorrow! You really need someone to sponsor you. good luck!

  7. #7101 operator2008-02-05 17:01

    I am going to have to disagree I think anyone willing to join a Union and work Union is good. The more people that are organized the better off we all will be. I have been a Union member of 101 for 12 years and was in 841 where I did my apprenticeship for 3. I would not have it any other way the benefits and wages my family and I enjoy are what we are all working for, just remember you are skilled and you want an honest days pay for an honest days work.

  8. #8union4life2008-02-05 18:14

    NO,S1100 unless you are going for a BA position, A couple of tips though clean shaven or nicely groomed no jeans with holes, try to get there 1/2 hr early because it will be crowded they scheduale all interviews for the up comming class the same date 25-40 people,Don,t be nervous i am also 39 soon to be 40 but you will find out real quick that this is a +. Also go to local 825 web page and familarize your-self with the training staff and names,you will most likely be interviwing with one of them. they will ask you the all important ? "why do you want to be in the union" give them a million doller answer and you will be in. Union4life..... good luck....

  9. #9union4life2008-02-05 18:23

    s1100 training last for 4 years,you are given a gas allowance "not much" and are required to be there everyday.They will send you out to work from a list but you have to go through your osha training first,be patiant its worth it. p.s. member kamerad47 does not have a clue..... did not see him at my last union meeting.... union4life.IUOE 825

  10. #10union4life2008-02-05 18:26

    Kamrad47 sponsers are on the other web site look up Bill W.

  11. #11s11002008-02-05 18:47

    Thanks guys, I have a good feeling. Just talked to a former co-worker who is an apprentice (since July), he seemed to think I wouldn't have a problem. I'm gonna leave the house about 4:30 to get through traffic and make sure I'm there on time. It should be about a two hour ride, as I'm coming from the other end of the state. I'm gonna do whatever it takes. :usa

  12. #12kamerad472008-02-06 16:40

    I have a clue I've been a 560 teamster for 20 yrs in NJ! The union is looking for to get younger they have been putting ads in the star ledger for months try to attracted high school & coll grads. I've been in construction & trucking for 27 yrs I no the games these contractors play on the jobs! I've been on jobs where the organizes Progresso is running the machines & trucks when they should have a 825 or 560 guy on them but the BA looks the other way, I wonder why. Who do you think were the biggest campaign contributes $$$$$ to the gov (JMS CREAMER) why do think they got the job! long way to come from pa there union don't pay squat, right!

  13. #13CascadeScaper2008-02-06 17:05

    I got notified today that I"ve been called up to train in a month, I'm pumped up. Ready for this to get going, I haven't been on any iron in about 3 months. My restaurant job is killing me :Banghead

  14. #14ohioduramax2008-02-06 20:37

    I hope I get in this year too.

  15. #15s11002008-02-08 16:25

    I'm back from the test, no interview. I have to wait 2-3 weeks for the results, but it was easy. I am a little surprised. considering your applying to a union, nobody seemed to make an effort to at least look clean cut. Only about five (out of about 25-30) of us looked like we wanted the job. I mean not bothering to shave, JOGGING pants , sneakers, pants falling down, and cell phones ointhead If this is the group they have to pick from, I should be in .

  16. #16Turbo218352008-02-08 19:16

    Well, one would hope so, but these are usually run on a curve. You get points towards your test based on race, and gender. The % of clean cut and well dressed was the same for my test. Except there were over 500 people there for the test. All that, for 50 spots. So, being your average white male, I had no chance base on the numbers. I ended up taking the back door route into the union. I went to a school for equipment, got a job at a non union company and worked there for a few years. Got hired on at a union contractor, they signed me up with the union, and i havent looked back since

  17. #17engineer7142008-02-11 22:41

    I also to applied and took the test. I have'nt herd a thing from them and i took the test back in august. I was wondering if any of you 825 guys know if its possible to take the test again?

  18. #18Countryboy2008-02-11 23:15

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums engineer714! :drinkup

  19. #19union4life2008-02-12 18:30

    yes you can take the test more than 1 time just call the training center to find out the next test date

  20. #20union4life2008-02-12 18:34

    turbo brings up a good point, there are several companies that work union/non union, I no of two or three off hand,this may be an option worthy looking into......

  21. #21engineer7142008-02-12 21:23

    Union4life if you dont mind droopping some company names i would defintly be interested in getting more information on it.

  22. #22385Diggin' Doug2008-02-12 21:49

    contact your BA for your district information.Call again to schedule test.Do not mention the union/non union thing to anyone involved.

  23. #23engineer7142008-02-12 22:26

    Thanks diggin doug. So realistically wat are my chances of getting into this apprenticeship?

  24. #24kamerad472008-02-14 16:32

    Like I said I don't what to be a downer, But I believe in the truth & it's a long shot! good luck! :usa:usa:beatsme:Banghead

  25. #25385Diggin' Doug2008-02-14 21:37

    Are you a current IUOE Local 825 Brother ? What exactly is your version of the truth ?In my 33 yrs I have seen a lot of "long shots" make it.

  26. #26BLASZER2008-03-08 20:43

    I'm in local 17 in Buffalo N.Y. I had people in the apprenticeship with me as old as 50!!!!! I went to school a week(on unemployment) and worked a week, alternating for 4 years..39 is by no means too old!!! Steve

  27. #27tuney4432008-03-08 21:06

    s1100---I wish you well.My Dad was a member for many years there.I'm sure they straightened out the corruption that used to occur there.I remember there used to be a half brother/sister combo that doled out work from the hall.I believe her name was Margaret---you wouldn't want to know what my Dad and countless others would have liked to have done to her for her arrogant,bitchy demeanor.

  28. #28kamerad472008-03-12 16:47

    Check out page 23 of the star ledger news paper!

  29. #29Buckethead2008-03-12 17:18

    I have been a member for many years, and I never heard of anyone named "margaret" who worked in the union hall. Tuney443 is full of bovine excrement, to put it politely.

  30. #30tuney4432008-03-13 08:55

    Did you ever think for a moment that there was history in Local 825,before you arrived??? I'm referring to the 60's and 70's---Margaret and her half brother most likely retired{or were strung up} before you got there. My Dad and his friends didn't make this stuff up---I witnessed his not working steady for many years,as he wasn't one of 825's ''pets''.{an unadoring term given to members who needed 55 gallon drums of brown remover}.So before you TRY and contradict me or anyone else,you might want to try and do a little research.I don't appreciate being called a bullshitter,NOT to put it politely.

  31. #31Buckethead2008-03-13 16:17

    Was this in NY state? I forgot about NY state. If that is the case I apologize for calling you a liar. But I know there was no Margaret in North or South Jersey.

  32. #32tuney4432008-03-13 18:05

    Her name is{was} Margaret Tobin---not sure of her half-brother's name.She had other relatives working in the hall also--back then it was mostly Irish run. We always lived in NY,but I remember hearing my Dad say the hall wasn't far from Harriman,NY where he'd go for meetings--so I'd say North Jersey.For you to know of Margaret---actually dealing with her--you would have to be at least 60 years old.If push came to shove,I'm sure I could find some old friend of my Dad's to back my story.

  33. #33ohu8mine22008-03-27 19:48

    hey i just recieved a letter saying i have a interview april 2nd for 825. i have already passed the test can anyone tell me what to expect.

  34. #34Dieselfixer2008-03-27 21:00

    A friend of mine got into 825 and he is 50 years old. He got in on his second try. He did'nt make it the first time because he forgot to slope the sides of the ditch during his test. I was with 825 and Local 14 out of Brooklyn untill I moved to NC.

  35. #35kamerad472008-03-28 16:03

    Did you read about the 825 BA's take payoffs from contractors so they could use less guys & non union workers?

  36. #36Turbo218352008-03-28 17:44

    whered ya read that. If its online, provide a link. If its in a paper, copy it and put it up here. Dont spread something that you cant back up, and i have nothing to do with 825

  37. #37385Diggin' Doug2008-03-28 18:18

    NJ Star Ledger NJ Radio 101.5 FM THe voice of NJ It is true and did happen.Indictments were handed down last week. http://www.nj.com There are several articles listed to read.Type in Local 825 in the search bar and read the results. Then I believe that an apology would be in order to kamerad47.

  38. #38Turbo218352008-03-28 22:58

    I dont believe there is need for an apology. I did not degread/put anyone down for what they said. I simply stated that if your going to say you read something about it then you need to provide the information on where you read it.

  39. #39Countryboy2008-03-28 23:06

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums ohu8mine2! :drinkup

  40. #40Countryboy2008-03-28 23:07

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Dieselfixer! :drinkup

  41. #41denied2008-03-31 20:54

    yeah, i just recieved my letter from local 825 stating that althought i passed the aptitude test i was not one of the few selected to interview well thers always next year maybe 2nd times a charm.

  42. #42Countryboy2008-04-01 00:57

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums denied! :drinkup

  43. #43bear2008-04-01 04:56

    Well... Unions can be good and bad i guess. if the system where you're at is mostly union i guess that's what you gotta do. here the only union presence is at the grocery store and thae local chicken factory. Same problem in the union as out. been there didn't like the union gig and don't want to go back. union or not market yourself in the best way possible test scores can be improved and may either make a guy look brilliant or imbecilic. be positive and project the right attitude.

  44. #44CascadeScaper2008-04-01 14:09

    If it's something you really want to do, keep trying. Out here, union is the only way to go, WA state is the 4th highest union density state in the country, New York is #1, Alaska is #2, and Hawaii is #3. Out here, if you'd like a better chance at staying busy through these slower times, union is much better off. Most of the state and commercial work is all union, the non-union guys are typically doing residential construction but as we all know that has taken a huge tank. Right now, there's still a good portion of state working going on that my union handles, it's great that in a slow housing market we can still stay busy. Sure it affects us a little, but not as much as the non-union boys. I wasn't really much of a pro-union guy, but for where I'm at right now in life, it's definately the absolute best route I can take when I factor in the training I get, the pay, and the benefits.

  45. #45ohioduramax2008-04-01 19:16

    Congrats on getting in cascadescaper. My interview is tomorrow afternoon. I hope I get in too.

  46. #46denied2008-04-01 19:47

    well i know its something i want going to fill out the ap again tonight best of luck to me although its a year until they hire again

  47. #47Hydro1012008-04-01 20:23

    idk NJ has got to right behind NY.. you cant do nothing out here without the unions...

  48. #48ohu8mine22008-04-03 11:31

    hey hydro are you in 825

  49. #49CascadeScaper2008-04-03 12:56

    Just checked up the numbers. NJ is currently in 6th with 2007's numbers. NJ ranked 4th in 2006. WA is sitting right at 20.2% and NY is 25.2%, this is percentage of union density.

  50. #50engineer7142008-04-03 16:50

    Yeah i got the deniel letter to although i passed the apptitude test well theres always next year.

  51. #51ohu8mine22008-04-03 17:50

    i took the test twice and i passed both times, the first time i didnt get a interview, but this year i got the interview, just went yesterday for the interview then they told me if i dont hear anything by october then reapply. Its like 3 years trying to get in 825 its crazy

  52. #52denied2008-04-03 20:57

    yeah i passed the test also maybe we just need to score higher next time we test. good luck

  53. #53engineer7142008-04-03 21:33

    Yeah good luck to you to denied. I think this summer im going to try and get with a company whether it be union or non union i really dont care im 18 and in college so i got a while to try and get in the union.

  54. #54ohioduramax2008-04-04 12:49

    I had my interview on wednesday. I should know something in about a week. This is my second year applying.

  55. #55Hydro1012008-04-04 15:34

    got a meeting next week with a b.a. about getting my self a book through my company...

  56. #56LaLaMan2008-04-04 16:31

    Id love to be a crane operator in 825.

  57. #57Buckethead2008-04-04 19:32

    Hydro do you go by the name Hydro on the other forums?

  58. #58ohu8mine22008-04-04 20:33

    hey hydro is your company hiring

  59. #59Hydro1012008-04-04 22:51

    nope.. sorry not right now

  60. #60ohioduramax2008-04-09 12:55

    I got my letter today, I got in the apprenticeship this year. It was my 2nd year applying. Im going to be in the local 18 out of ohio. I start the 120 hour pre apprenticeship training in a month. I cant wait.

  61. #61CascadeScaper2008-04-10 00:06

    Nice job man, union is the only way to go if you're young, just can't beat the opportunity. Good benefits, the pay is pretty good, and the training is awesome. Only 120 hours? Wish I could say the same, my group has almost 300 hours to do before we start working, 7 weeks worth.

  62. #62ohioduramax2008-04-10 20:29

    I wouldnt mind doing 300 hours of training before going out to a job. I would learn alot more. I dont have as much experience operating equipment as you do. You should be doing 120 hours and I should be doing 300.

  63. #63CascadeScaper2008-04-11 03:05

    Ah well, that's the way I look at it, 300 hours of "sandbox" time I figure. You learn a lot more when nobody's money is on the line and you're just practicing with some equipment. Gives you the time you need to build the basics of something you haven't done before and let the speed come later. You don't have a foreman or super behind you screaming about the deadline. I have 3,000 hours running Cat controls, was put on a Case when I was at the grounds a month ago for the final cut, and learned Case proficiently in 4 hours. I never would have tried Case controls out on a job, I would have looked like a real clown at first and might have been thrown off the machine. But, now I can say I can run Case controls, something I haven't been exposed to. As well as a D8, don't have much time on one yet, but I can throw it in gear, do some rough grading, and not look like a complete idiot.

  64. #64BLASZER2008-04-13 17:11

    Local 17 out of buffalo is 5000 hours of training.....I week @ school and then 1 week @ work alternating for 4 years...Nice thing is , you get unemployment for the weeks youre at the school. Steve

  65. #65engineer7142008-04-13 22:40

    Do you guys have any advice on what i should be doing right now. Theres got to be something i can do from now till next year when i re apply to 825?

  66. #66ohu8mine22008-04-22 18:12

    the best thing you can do is to reapply as early as possible so u can be the first group who take the test

  67. #67engineer7142008-04-28 19:13

    Yeah i applied the day i got the letterso hopefully im one of the first groups to take the test

  68. #68registered user2008-05-17 10:30

    I just received my letter of acceptance from local 37 out of Baltimore,Md. :thumbsup Wow that was a long wait, my interview was on April 2,08 and was told that I would know either way before the end of that month, but all is good in the "Land of pleasant living." I have a orientation meeting on May 30 to sign formal indenture certificates. I still haven't taken any test as of yet, and don't know when this will start, I was told all of that information would be discussed on 5/30.

  69. #69diversified man2008-05-17 20:20

    hey if they dont hire you i will... good luck

  70. #70registered user2008-05-20 05:21

    Thanks for the encouraging words, I'll update from time to time. Off to work I go!

  71. #71engineer7142008-05-29 17:03

    Well i got the letter i got to take the test again on June 9. Anybody else taking the test on that day?

  72. #72registered user2008-06-01 07:23

    * update * I signed my indenture certificate papers last week ! One step closer, I have a couple questions for those of you that have already gone thru this, and those of you have might be doing this presently... At last weeks meeting, they did not give any of us a starting date, they said they would more than likely call us on a Wednesday to start on the following Monday? ( I can't speak for anyone else, but I had asked to be able to give my present employer a 2 week notice, they said if anyone wanted to do this, when they called, your name would go to the bottom of the list, and you would have to wait until a job was available. Is this the norm? I really don't want to burn any bridges! Also, in my interview, they said that they would have a roster of the the apprentices, 1 thru 60 ( sorta like a seniority list, 1 being the highest, and 60 being the lowest )but I was surprised to find out that they are now going in alphabet order ( so someone with the last name starting with the letter A with no experience starts before someone with experience? Has this happened to anyone else? I have my first safety class the 3rd week in July, and was told that was when I would be tested for the equipment that I have experience on, what happens if/when I get called before then, how will the employer know what I can do? Sorry for my rant, I guess the lack of information is a little frustrating, if anyone has some knowledge of this path I going down, please chime in.