Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just picked up a Dresser TD-7G, looking for the basic info and for parts sources.

Dresser D-7G Mike · 2024-01-11 19:41

Hello all, I was looking online at auctions for a while, and it turns out a local property owner had this dozer for a single project, and when he found out I was looking, he offered it to us to buy it for what he paid at auction. I have seen many of these recently, and as for looks with my very limited experience, it seems to be a well taken care of machine and is quite clean cfompared to most I have seen online at Auction. When I got it 2 days ago, if I went over mid throttle, the temp gage would go past the safe level, and I pulled off the body panels and hood, and the radiator was nearly clogged. I blew it out 3x, and no longer have a cooling problem. Last night though, in the New Mexico Mountains a friend got stuck coming up to where we live. It's a very difficult road with rocks, drop offs and steep hills, so this is not a new thing, but our LS4155 tractor lost the ability to go forward, so I had to use the dozer to go and pull him out. He was framed out on a culvert of sorts. We recently got 16 inch's of snow too, so I plowed all the way down. I noticed that it is not smooth and quite smoky under higher throttle. Every now and then I can hear a small backfire out the intake too. I think I may have seen a couple of small sparks come out the exhaust too. That may be my own fault though because I left off the high exhaust pipe when I went down because it connects to just connect to the hood and acts as a fireplace pipe, or a simple escape path. It sounds like it is missing too, as if a cylinder is not firing. That's why Im considering pulling the head to have it refreshed. It has a lot of power, more than I expected, and it chewed through a good bit of ice below the road and the snow without issue but it isn't running right and plan to do a compression check soon. I know this is a very rookie question, but do diesels need to have diesel oil? I know that regular oil was put into it, so I'm doing an oil/filter change as soon as I can. I have service manuals coming, and I know that will help but I don't even know the names of things on this engine. I believe it is the Cummins 239,240 3.9L. I just got it, so I am learning as I go, but I'm wondering where you guys go for parts? I need a gasket that is on the left side of the engine looking forward, and its for the big cover that has 4 screws it it I believe and is about the size of a valve cover gasket. What is that cover called? I guess I Need to see a drawing of these engines because I do not know a thing about them. And, is there a source for details of the engine? Without the manual, I'm just curious about these things. The engine has 4,400 hours on it. Ill include some pics and would be curious if anybody sees anything that I may need to address soon. I appreciate having a place to ask for help, and I wish I was more help but diesels are very new to me. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Replies12
  1. #1Dresser D-7G Mike2024-01-11 19:42

    More pics...

  2. #2Dresser D-7G Mike2024-01-11 19:43

    More still

  3. #3InsleyGuy2024-01-11 22:59

    In the third picture there is a bolt missing on each side in the caps that retain the round tube to the main frame and track frames. Also seen in the ninth pic.

  4. #4reganj2024-01-11 23:22

    A diesel engine uses diesel oil, make sure the oil is correct for your engine. I would not even crank it with the incorrect oil in it.

  5. #5Dresser D-7G Mike2024-01-11 23:24

    Thank you for pointing that out. I noticed today that the two main hydraulics seem to move a little at the mount area. I plan to go over this thing from top to bottom once I get a little more knowledge on it. Never having a dozer before, it's looks so simple to access the engine I can't wait to get it all cleaned up and to make it run like new again. It's still useable, but I want it to run as new and it does not.

  6. #6Dresser D-7G Mike2024-01-11 23:37

    Yea, I am normally extremely picky about oil. We had a new 2020 LS tractor that somebody put the wrong spec oil in during the first oil change, and it clogged the DPF system very quickly making me have to take it apart and clean it out because we can not get vehicles in or out for part of the year. I was hoping a non-DPF engine would not be as fragile. We are bordered to a National park and it's very difficult to get in and out most of the winter, and we had a truck stuck and no way to get out to get the correct oil, which I did not yet know what I actually needed, and normal oil was used to top it off before bringing it up. It was a bit of an emergency because the road is impassible, and the tractor broke and I had 2 people waiting to come back to where they live, so I had to plow to get them home. Anyway, I do agree and may have caused myself more work for doing that.

  7. #7Dresser D-7G Mike2024-01-12 16:24

    Do you guys know if the Cummings they used in the dressers is the 4BT?

  8. #88V712024-01-12 18:19

    http://fpsmitheq.com/ For parts

  9. #9Dresser D-7G Mike2024-01-13 05:35

    Thanks much!

  10. #1056wrench2024-01-13 10:06

    It probably is a 4BT or variant- there should be a tag on the side of the timing cover area at the LH front of the engine. It probably needs a valve setting/adjusting and maybe injectors. Do the valves first and see if it helps before going farther

  11. #11Dresser D-7G Mike2024-01-13 15:29

    Its awkward to start over and have to ask the newb questions, but I just need to get the basics and I'll be good to go. And once I do, Ill try to help all after me go through the same process. The manual came in, but I have to go and get it. That is good advice, Ill start with the valves. Are these injectors easy to find online? The nearest city to me is Taos, NM and they do not have many sources for heavy equipment, but Albuquerque may. Ill check into it. Thanks.

  12. #12Dresser D-7G Mike2024-01-19 02:30

    Ok, I got the tag, and the pump info. Its a Lucas CAV pump. I have injectors coming, and the more I look into it, the more I believe it's a pump problem. The mechanical "lift?" pump is also leaking I found, so I have a new one on the way, along with all filters. I think I have a stuck pin in the pump because it will do nothing once you get to about 1/4 throttle. When you slide it to full, it does not change at all. If anybody else new to these pumps is having issues with it, please use the links below to rebuild it yourself. Its a very simple and basic pump, and the rebuild kit is at Amazon, and is less than $15. After watching this video: CAV Injection pump full strip down to re seal and stop fuel leaks​ And buying this rebuild kit: S.57135 Fuel Injection Pump Seal Kit Fits Lucas​ Amazon.com Im going to redo it myself. If anybody else comes to this thread for help with a similar CAV pump, just watch that vid, buy that kit and plan to do it yourself. It may be a 1-2 hour job, and unless you have no mechanical skills, this is a very easy pump to go over for the cost of about $13.