Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just purchased a Cat E110B

Mashford · 2025-08-04 16:52

Just picked up a 1990 Cat E110B with a blown final drive. It was the only way I could get a machine the size I wanted in my price range. I ordered a new final drive and it’s in the process of getting fixed. Machine has a thumb, 7800hours, and a cat 3114 turbo motor. Anyone have any experience with these? It will be on my property to make trails, drug holes, etc.

Replies21
  1. #1Nige2025-08-04 17:13

    If you're going to be servicing/repairing it yourself my suggestion would be to get some manuals. To help you look for the correct ones post a machine Serial Number. I see 4 different models of E110B.

  2. #2Mashford2025-08-04 17:17

    That’s a great idea. The serial number is 8MF00216. Any leads on a reasonably priced one. I did look a few up on eBay but they are drinking with their prices.

  3. #3Nige2025-08-04 17:38

    Service Manual is SENR4540. New price $450 in paper or $320 on a CD to give you something to compare with internet marketplace offerings. Parts Manual is XEBP9958. Prices $155/$110.

  4. #4Mashford2025-08-04 17:51

    Great. Thank you for that information.

  5. #5davejo2025-08-04 21:26

    What is mounted on the arm, a diverter for the thumb?

  6. #6Coaldust2025-08-04 23:08

    I was a young dealer tech when that machine was new. I worked on a lot of them. Fairly rare to see one today. Weird pilot control system.

  7. #7Universal Parts2025-08-04 23:23

    The Caterpillar E110B models in China are mostly equipped with Mitsubishi S4K-T engines.

  8. #8Mashford2025-08-05 05:18

    I believe it’s a junction box for the addition of the thumb.

  9. #9Mashford2025-08-05 05:19

    I did notice that with a search on the internet before I bought it. I’m sure both are good engines but I’d prefer the cat in it.

  10. #10Mashford2025-08-05 05:20

    Did this model not sell well? I know it’s kind of an in between size.

  11. #11Nige2025-08-05 06:02

    That's why the S/No of the machine is so important to obtain appropriate manuals. Out of the 4 different models of E110B, two are fitted with the Mitsubishi S4K engine and the other two are fitted with the Cat 3114.

  12. #12Coaldust2025-08-05 09:18

    It was part of a strange, blurry, short-lived product line sold during the transition from the original 200 to the 300 series machine. The E110B was similar to the first 311.

  13. #13Mashford2025-08-05 09:42

    Just looked up the 311. Looks to be almost identical. Mine must be similar just a few years older.

  14. #14Universal Parts2025-08-05 10:02

    If your machine doesn't have the parts you want in the local dealer, you can send me a private message to find it.

  15. #15Silveroddo2025-08-06 20:28

    We had one in the family for 20 years, they were kind of ahead of their time in my opinion compared to a similar JD of the era. The one we had had the Mitsubishi in it. They were the original grey line machine that were imported by the boat load. I've been around 4-5 of them, our old one was still going strong when it was sold a year ago and there is another one in the area that won't die. The power to the final drives was never anything special in them, but for the erra they had decent power/speed for everything else, nothing compared to a new machines but they got the job done. Both final drives and a head gasket were about the extent of the major repairs done to that machine in 20 years and probably 7-8k hrs. If you have a parts book and didn't tell the parts guy what it was for there was never an issue getting parts. If you started the conversation "I'm looking for parts for an E110b" that usually started a bunch of grumbling t guys who were unfamiliar.

  16. #16Mashford2025-08-07 13:39

    Very well said. That makes me happy to hear they are good machines. I hope the Cat engine is just as good. It sounds great. Theres a few other things I need to fix up on it. It does not shut off with the key. Guessing the fuel shutoff solenoid is tired. Going to fab up an exhaust and replace the window seal. Other then that im looking forward to using it.

  17. #17Silveroddo2025-08-07 23:24

    The fuel shut off system was another thing that had failed. We had a cable hooked up to the pump for the last half of its life because replacing the original system was thousands of dollars. vs tens of dollars to do it manually

  18. #18Mashford2025-08-08 05:15

    I ll test and replace the shutoff solenoid if it’s cooked but other then that it may also just go to a cable.

  19. #19excavator2025-08-08 11:28

    My wife's family has one in their 20 acre woods which I run quite a bit. It has the Mitsubishi in it and compared to a Hitachi with the Isuzu of the same size it drinks like a fish. Other than losing a hyd pump early on it's not been a bad old machine. It does not have a shutoff solenoid, the shutoff is push the throttle lever forward. I've never been able to get the throttle adjusted properly, it's either 1/2 throttle or wide open but for what we do it works OK. Overall it's been a pretty decent old machine and certainly beats a shovel.

  20. #20Mashford2025-08-08 11:47

    Nice! A CAT 320b just went up for sale around the corner from me. But I’m glad I bought the E110b. 320b seems huge. I just wanted a large glorified shovel to be honest.

  21. #21Mashford2025-08-10 10:18

    Bought the 2 manuals. Thanks again.