Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just purchased a jcb 1700

Kelly Davidson ยท 2020-01-19 22:14

Hey all, I just purchased a jcb 1700 backhoe. Now, please forgive me and my ignorance on these models and how/why I purchased it. The guy bought it to resale. So, I got it from him. He told me one of the hydraulic hoses busted and he replaced it. Watched him start it, move it around and work everything. It was raining Saturday when I got it, so of course I didn't pop the hood and look at everything. Guy delivered it to my house and of course, I'm a happy man. He drove it to a place I asked him to. Now keep in mind, it's still pouring out rain. But today it's freezing cold here in TN with the wind blowing, started it, let it warm up and moved around in it for about 15 or 20 minutes. Then moving got slower going forward until it stopped and barely would move backwards. Then, it stalled and died. Before it died, I noticed a little more puffing of diesel around the engine, so I figured out how to pop the hood and check everything. The first thing I noticed was a hose missing from the water pump to the top. From all indications, I don't think it had alot of coolant (if any). Second, is I checked the dip stick on the side and of course it's not even reading any fluid for what I think is the tranny. Now I know if a diesel gets hot, it can eventually stall, so I let it cool off before making sure it started again. I'm not wanting to do any more damage by trying to start it again, until I get these fluids back in it. But it's in an area that I really need to move it because it's in the way. I take responsibility and it's my fault as I didn't use common sense to check all the fluids before doing anything like this. I'm sure there's alot that wasn't told to me, but I also know how old it is and it probably needs just some good servicing. Gonna try to find a service manual for it, but for now here are my questions: 1) What kind of transmission fluid (oil, hydraulic, etc) do I need to put in it. Do I just need to find the drain plug, drain it, find a filter if there is one, replace it and put new fluid back in? I've heard they take up to 5 gallons, just not sure what kind...Mercon LV, ATF, or what? I've read the forum and noticed a few things, like i might be a synchro shuttle trans that takes some kind of special HyTrans oil, etc. But any help would be appreciated! 2). I know my dad uses regular universal coolant in his Ford 4000. Can I get away with normal coolant, or do I need to get some specialized formula (cause it's diesel).

Replies16
  1. #1Kelly Davidson2020-01-19 22:20

    Here's a pic of my backhoe and what's left of a model/sn badge on the frame. Can't make too much out of it.

  2. #2Kelly Davidson2020-01-20 10:48

    Called a rep for JCB. So far I found out my SN is 308251. So far, I've been told it's a 1984 JCB 3D 1700 2WD Backhoe. He believes I can use Diesel 15w40 oil (Castrol - 3 gallons) with 46w hydraulic fluid. Now he's trying to check with online service manual about the tractor. I just hope with me driving it, I haven't killed the engine. But I'm gonna at least change the oil, add some hydraulic fluid, fix the coolant hose and fill it up. Now, from what I've seen on other forums, people use that FINAL CHARGE Global Extended Life Coolant / Antifreeze. Any objects? Thank goodness I can get most of this at Walmart.

  3. #3JBrady2020-01-20 11:09

    It's really hard to tell what all could be wrong with it from what you've provided so far. The good news is it is an older machine so, without knowing a thing about JCBs, it's probably a pretty straight forward machine without a lot of electronics. Just think of it like the old bronco in the background of one of your pics. An engine has to have fuel, cooling, lubrication, air, etc. Your backhoe, like all backhoes, will have an engine system, a hydraulic system, and a transmission/drive system. They all have their separate fluids and you'll probably need a manual to know what goes where. Unless I have concrete evidence, I don't assume anything on a new-to-me piece of used equipment and change all the fluids and filters as soon as possible. Also, until you know the machine, I would't rely on what the gauges are telling you. You very well may have overheated the machine and the previous owner removed/broke/lost the coolant sensor. Likewise, you may have just run out of fuel. Based on your description of it losing power and stalling, that is pretty much what diesels do when they starve for fuel.

  4. #4excavator2020-01-20 11:50

    I have a customer with an identical machine, it likely has a Leyland engine in it. You will find that if parts are available they usually seem to be in England and are quite expensive. I will have to look around, it seems like I should have a manual for it. Until just recently you could look up parts on the JCB website, for some reason they decided to remove that option.

  5. #5Kelly Davidson2020-01-20 11:53

    Excavator, if you could find me a manual on it, that would be great! I called another retailer, and he said the engine is a Perkins LH50133U 3.9L lightly turbocharged diesel engine. Can't get much more info than that. Again, if you could get me ANYTHING on it as far as maintenance or upkeep manuals (PDF), I would greatly appreciate it!

  6. #6joe--h2020-01-20 14:46

    Maybe a couple pics of the engine would help. Hard to identify it with those pics. Joe H

  7. #7jcb jeff2020-01-21 04:56

    Hi This might help you.

  8. #8Kelly Davidson2020-01-21 13:45

    That's awesome! Thank you! Jeff, can you get me the service manual PDF I need to look for?

  9. #9excavator2020-01-21 14:09

    The service manual I have is for a higher serial number machine, it will likely be close enough to do most everything you need to do. If you will send a PM here on this site with your e-mail address I can send that to you via Dropbox.

  10. #10Kelly Davidson2020-01-21 14:12

    anything will help please

  11. #11Kelly Davidson2020-01-24 12:31

    Okay all, spoke to a service guy for JCB. He said I need manual 9803/3250. Does anyone have that PDF manual?

  12. #12Kelly Davidson2020-01-27 12:58

    Well I'll keep looking for a PDF manual. Does anyone know how the switch kills the engine on this thing? Some kind of relay to a fuel cutoff or something? Sometimes I have to put the engine under a load the stop it because the ignition switch doesn't stop it every time.

  13. #13Tarhe Driver2020-01-27 18:48

    Try this link for the 9803/3250 https://issuu.com/jjfnnsefyiii/docs/jcb_3cx_backhoe_loader_service_repa_50acd3081f56e9 It is viewable but not sure how to download it. Neill

  14. #14Kelly Davidson2020-01-27 19:55

    tried it...didn't work. I was able to finally purchase an online manual.

  15. #15excavator2020-01-27 20:15

    Where did you find one?

  16. #16Kelly Davidson2020-01-27 20:52

    Paid for it on https://www.aservicemanualpdf.com/ .