I've had a hydraulic thumb on a Case 580K many years. It was in part a repurposed half of log loader clam. It was functional, but had shortcomings: It was too heavy. It wouldn't grip small logs. The hydraulic cylinder wasn't well chosen. It was a 1-1/4" rod, 24" stroke. Pin sizes were too small, so it was prone to failure. I want to start over. I want to pivot on the bucket link pin. Case doesn't offer a longer pin. They don't describe the pin diameter, but the bushings & seals it passes through they describe as 2" ID. I measure the pin at 1.75". I'll need a longer pin. Case doesn't offer a longer pin. I can make a pin, but there is a bit of machine work. I presume this is a stronger than common steel pin. Are there sources for greasable pins ready made, If I have to make it, what is the steel called?
Call Dale at Tractorstuff. He sold me a long pin that I cut in half to make grease-able pins for a loader bucket. It was drilled and tapped on both ends for zerks. http://e-backhoeparts.com/
When we make pins for oilfield pin connections, we use 4140 or 4142 and then quench & temper.
Would you ever use a cylinder ram for a pin?
I would. But, I have never needed to. Dale Weiss has a lot of aftermarket pins of various sizes. The one he sold me was 12 or 14 inches long 2 inches in diameter. I think it was about $35.00.
I cut up a cylinder ram from a processor so I could have a pin in every one of my backhoe buckets for the quick attach. I'm not so sure you could drill them very easily for grease galleys. Had all the pins made up and drilled then had them tempered for a 580 CK boom once for less then $300.
I took it apart today The pins are shouldered at each end 1.925 to 1.750. I'm pretty confident when Case describes the bushing bore as 2.0000 that is what they mean. I have ordered pin stock 2.000. I will make new bushings if needed. My steel dealer was an engineer before he came back to VT because his father's health was failing. He has forgot more about steel than I will ever know, and he forgot very little. I've already forgot much of what he recommended, a hard steel with superior bend resistance, and stronger than others in shear, but machinable. It's on its way, I'll try it. "4450"??? I'll ask again its numerical designation. This being a long pin, forces from a few directions, bend is a concern. A 2" strong pin will replace a 1-1/4" very strong pin that never gave trouble, though I couldn't drill it. I ordered 3/4" x 5 cold rolled steel for the two 40" sides.