I just purchased a 2005 D3G LGP s/n BYR00977 showing 9653 hrs. It seems to be a pretty straight machine, engine sounds good, transmission shifts properly, steering appears to be good. No noticeable major issues upon initial inspection. I did notice the horn did not work and some of the bushings on the 6 way blade were pretty worn. For some reason it is missing 1 roller. I’m sure I will find other things after I spend a little more time on it next week. It was serviced right at 300 hours ago in 12/21 so it hadn’t been used much over the past couple of years. What would the recommended maintenance schedule be for this machine?
If I bought a tractor and the horn didn't work, I'd take it right back!! Big safety issue!
The undercarriage looks good other than the missing roller. Wonder why it wasn't replaced??
Let me guess. They broke the roller retaining bolts off, and no-on had the skills, abilities, or the desire, to get the broken bolts out.
Hahaha, makes me wonder how we ever got by before they put horns on dozers.
The best suggestion would be to get hold of a copy of the Operation & Maintenance Manual. I am assuming that the paper copy in the seat-back pocket in the cab disappeared years ago. It will have all the information you are looking for and plenty more besides. The Caterpillar Publication reference for the O&M is SEBU7801. You can search online marketplaces for one (nothing popped up for me but that could change tomorrow), or alternatively download a pdf version for $52 from HERE by putting SEBU7801 in the Search box. Another option is to go HERE , you can get a CD for $49 or a paper copy for $57.
If me and a tractor I was going to retain, I'd before first start of a morning pull a small oil sample in a clean glass, or plastic jar looking for coolant. If nothing obvious, run the tractor a couple of hours getting it good and warm, pull another oil sample in another jar, and if nothing obvious send both jars into a lab for analysis. This does nothing except start the establishment of a baseline trend to go with. If these sample results are positive on their return from the lab, sample again at your normal maintenance interval to keep tabs on what is normal operation of the tractor. You can do this with the other oils also but usually burnishings and such particulates found in drain oil are pretty obvious from normal, or abnormal. I'm with OzDozer on the missing roller as have seen that a time or two.....
Hey guys, First post, I have the younger brother to your Dozer CAR0063GBYR01503 with 4500 hrs showing. I am pleased with mine, it is the first dozer I have run and owned. Did you find an owners manual? I am retired FLEO and from Central Ms.
I ordered a pdf download from the link Nige posted above. Welcome to the forum, there is some good information here and some great guys.
The same links as per Post #6 above apply to machine S/N BYR01503. You need SEBU7801 for the Operation & Maintenance Manual.
If I am not being to stupid, would you mind looking in the owners manual and tell me what the 06 warning lights mean in the center console?Bottom left P is for Parking, Top left is for I assume engine oil pressure, the other 04 I can guess at, none are illuminated while engine is running. Thanks in advance. I have tried the search function for DG3 LGP and the response is "to many words OR not enough" Thank You
You are a good man Charlie Brown, Much appreciated!!! And Thank You Nige for the reply.
IMHO it’s worth your while to shell out the $52 and download your own copy of the O&M Manual. There is a lot of useful information in it, especially if you plan on doing all your own maintenance. Alternatively find a way of getting $26 to @Danfromcomo and have him share his pdf copy with you. That way everyone wins.
I would be good with that if Dan is, good suggestion Nige. Dan, If you operate in brushy areas, consider lowering your exhaust stack about 18 inches.