So after a lot of wishing and number crunching I bit the bullet and ordered a new dump truck on St. Patrick's Day. (Pre green beer even!) The next week I call the dealer a couple times to make sure that the order to the body co. went in right away as the chassis build will take 5 weeks and the body will take about 6 weeks. We got the spec straight and it looked like all would be right with the world. I left the dealer alone for the 5 weeks, then I called for a delivery update because I need to sell my current truck but don't want to be "truckless" for very long. Over the past 2 weeks I call the dealer every couple - 3 days and get the "everythings OK, I'll call the body co. and see where we are." but never a call back. Today I call the body company directly - but they don't have an order "in the system" from my dealer. I'm supposed to sell my current truck this weekend. I'm gonna poo a big ol brick if I have to wait another 8 weeks 'cause the order didn't get done!:Banghead I'm sure that I'm worrying for nothing 'cause my dealer really does know his stuff, but I think that I'll be on the phone a lot tomorrow...:cussing Anybody got a good delivery horror story to share?
We lucked out last week with our new 312. Ordered the machine on the 17th of April, tried to have it by the 22nd, but when we ordered it our sales guy made a mistake and spec'd 28" pads instead of 24" pads. Of course they don't stock any 312's with 24" pads in Seattle because of the the sloppy conditions, so we got the run around for a couple days. Finally they called on the 24th and we got it delivered on the 28th. They ended up plasma cutting the pads down to 24".
I don't know what kind of dump body your getting but most truck body manufacturers that build dump boxes here in B.C. have boxes in stock ready to go no waiting. If your having something custom built then it may take longer. When a contractor here orders a new dump they get the truck from the dealer they buy the box themselves and have it installed. Most box manufacturers install the box and hydraulics. The dealers usually have turn key brand new trucks on the lot ready to go spec'ed with the common spec's the contractors want. I know Paccar is a little back logged on getting trucks made. I don't know what brand you bought. We can get a brand new Sterling 9500 with heavy spec's Cat power for 138,000 a Mack Granite is about the same price. Single axles are a little tougher to get as there isn't any demand for them.
we got 2 Mack Cl triaxles in 98...they had completely custon J&J aluminum bodies...when the trucks got to the dealer we realized the bodes had been built totally wrong...turns out the salesman didn't convey the message and plans to the shop foreman building the body...even worse it was the salesmans own father in the shop...trucks had to got back to PA and J&J had to toss two new bodies and built us the correct bodies we ordered...not sure if those guys still work there....
I'm just woundering what was different in the bodies they had vs. what you wanted? Did they cost more or where they less?
Orchard,I was wondering if your dealership is part of a network of dealerships owned by one co.?Many here are this way.I ask because sometimes the ordering is done by the main,or hub,of the dealerships,and the truck is shipped to the sattelite dealership once it arrives.Your dealership may send your trucks spec's into them and they do the actual ordering.This could account for the box supplier not having an order from your particular dealership. I've ordered brand new trucks(2)both of them had a different dealership(The main dealership in their network)on the paperwork as the seller,even for the financing.I think it could be common practice. Hopefully it is this,or another simple explanation for the lack of an order on your box.As for the lack of a followup phone call from them???That's just poor business practice on their part,although not suprising to me. I'd my Mack in for major work,early in my ownership of it.It had been one of many times in the shop for major warrenty work/downtime.I ended up renting a replacement semi,so I could cover my route,and told them to call me if they were not going to be able to have my truck back when they said.(I was very explicit on this point)On the day before I was supose to be able to pick it up,I called them,but was told they'de call me back.I returned the rental truck,and finally called them again to make sure it would be done.It was FAR from being done,but they never called me once,to let me know.That's when I had a meltdown.It was the straw that broke the camels back,as I now had no rental truck to cover my routes.I called them every four letter word I could think of(probably twice even)and called Mack headquarters too give them some too!! I now regret doing it,and wish I'd had more patience,because it's never been the same when dealing with them.I know I was right in being upset,but when you're swearing at everyone in the place,and acting like a nutcase,they remember you.I now drive 170 miles to get warrenty work done,just so I don't have too face them. So,if there's a moral to my story,it's try and work with your dealership by letting them know,as nicely as possible,what you expect from them.Let them know you're going to REQUIRE returned phone calls,and to be kept in the loop regarding your truck.If they still just can't get a grip on it,visit other dealerships,and see if they're more willing to work with you.Do this before you call the manager a "beedy eyed cockroach/waste of skin":bouncegri (try and never actually say it outloud,while there,if possible.) You're going to need alot of support for your truck from some dealership in the future,best if it could be one that's close. Good Luck!!
I got a call back from the younger (hungrier?) of my sales team yesterday evening. He said that my truck came off the line May 1. (I had been told that it was done a week earlier.) He also said that the box order was definitely in at the body company. He gave me the VIN so that I can check status with the body company and he promised to call them on Monday. The VIN is how the body's are tracked through production. Hopefully with the VIN the order will appear in "the system" since no one could find it using the dealership name. It could be listed under some parent holding company I guess. He was very apologetic, saying that the delays and mix-ups are being caused by the volume of Class 8's that are being ordered in the last 2 -3 months. I was told "Production is sold out for class 8's this year" though I don't know if that is '06 or '07. I'd guess '06 to beat the emissions hit for '07? The computer tracking was moving the Class 8 blocks around and that's probably what made it look like my class 7 was already built, etc. etc. I'm trying very hard to keep my sense of humor each time I call as I know that I'll need these guys in the future. I also think I got a fairly good deal and they did indulge me with specs vs. price to keep my cost down. The dealer is also going to check on Monday with shipping to see when the chassis went/is going to the body company since it was too late to call them on Friday - although if he had answered when I called at 12:30 he would have had time ointhead . Jeff - this dealer orders directly, both the truck and the box. They put the chassis order in the computer 5 minutes after I signed the paper and handed over a deposit. (They had build spots reserved). I wanted the box from someone that they don't use often so there wasn't a close relationship between them and it took a few extra phone calls etc. I'll hopefully have that warm fuzzy feeling back on Monday. Ford - I wouldn't call the body "custom" exactly, but I did pick the options that I wanted. None of the trucks/body's on any of the lots were spec'ed the way I wanted it. Most(all?) of our dealers ask what body/options you want installed and they take care of it for you. Lots of times they hold on to build slot reservations to speed up the process. Most of the body company's out here are backlogged. I'm hearing an average of 8 - 10 weeks. And yep - it's Paccar - and S/A. So I guess that was 3 strikes against getting it fast . Oh yeah - I found out that it went into production on Friday and was finished on Monday... What was that old saying about buying a car that was built on Fridays or Mondays??? I got both!:eek2
Orchard Ex,have you got an update for us yet?Did you take delivery?:beatsme You will still talk to us,even though you ARE(?) a Peterbuilt owner,won't you?? (I figured since you were trying to keep cost down,you'de have passed on Peterbuilts "Snootie attitude" option package??Or maybe that package only come with the 379X's??):bouncegri
Jeff, That truck is giving me an attitude, but it's not a snotty one - yet :cussing My story continues with the body co. finally "finding" the order, and the truck was supposed to be on it's way to them that week... After about a week I started tracking the shipment again, and it had just left the factory - no reason why, just that Pete was taking their time... So 4 days later I'm looking for the truck again - I call the body co. - "No, it's not here", I called Pete "I'll check - it should be there". Later that day the body co. calls "good news - we have have your truck - bad news - It's in the wrong state (wrong build facility)". :Banghead They wanted to ship it to the facility where the body was originally to be done - $1,000 cost to me. Lots of phone calls between the my sales team, the body co and me. Then I "lost my build slot" at the body co. since the truck was "late getting there" and it wouldn't be built until July! Pete salesman said "I'll go get it and we'll get one built up here if you want". I said OK. Then more calls between Pete and the body co. that resulted in this: Truck is to be fitted where it is starting Tuesday (3 days from today) , and my salesman is flying to Alabama to drive it here at the end of the week - at no cost to me. (I left out how nobody figured freight into my body quote!) I have to say that although my sales team was a bit unresponsive at first, they have really been trying to make up for it. I'm thinking of making the trucks company number "13", and naming it "Lucky". My current truck is back up for sale - a whole 'nuther story just as good as this one. But I'm sure that once the Pete gets here I'll forget all about the little "bumps in the road" to getting it. :yup Short Spec's: Pete 335 S/A, 300hp ISC, exhaust brake, 10speed fuller, locking rear, air gate / elec. tarp, alum. wheels/tank/batt box, cab & box painted "Bahama Blue Effect"... Yeah, I'll post pic's - if it ever really gets here!
It's probably a good thing that kid didn't come through,and buy your old truck. Atleast you had your old set of wheels to continue your business with.:thumbsup Well,good luck,and hope it goes better for ya!! It'll be a race to see which of us gets to post our truck pics first.Mine should be out of the body shop early next week,so......let the races begin.:bouncegri