I heard on the radio the other day that the new emissions reg. compliance was adding from $10k - $12K to the price of heavy truck engines. Also that Class 8 sales were way up to beat the increase. Anybody hear the same? That seems like a big $ increase...
I just recieved the latest issue of Overdrive,and by coincindence they had an article about just that. Different man. gave different estimates of the amount of increase: According to their article: Dee Kapur(pres.) of International said class 8/$7000-10,000 increase,medium duty/$5000-6000 increase. Scott Kress(Senior V.Pres.) of Volvo said $7500 increase for Volvo or Cummins engines. Paul Vikner(pres.) of Mack said $7000 increase,depending on application. Peterbuilt's gen. manager Dan Sobic was in the discussion,but had no quotes as to the increase in engines prices.Officials from Kenworth declined to participate in the interviews.
Bush gonna relax the emissions standards because it's driving the price of gas so high. He don't care about the environment. Just one way to justify the high profits for his buddies in the oil companies. Blame it on the green environmentalists. Get rid of the emissions controls, and the oil companies are justified in making as much profit as they want.
I have heard the same, I also have concerns about how it going to affect power, fuel mileage, and longevity as well.