Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kalifornia

Jim D ยท 2016-12-26 23:32

In another thread, o-i-h said; "...Last winter when we took a gander to Southern Caifornia we got stopped at the Califipornia border. In addition to asking if we had any fruits and nuts on board they also asked if we were carrying winter air into California in our tires. After sheepeshly admittting we were, they made me promise to go back into Arizona a minimum of 10 miles and change it to summer air. They were concerned about our winter air causing a cold spell in California. We wanted nice weather while we were there so we compiled. The weather was great the week we were there while Arizona got rain and cold weather. Merry Christmas all." It is strangely true. old-iron has only discovered one more substance that is on the long secret list of thing forbidden to be brought into Kalifornia. A week ago, I drove from CA to Nevada to go shopping. Before I left home,l I put our household trash in the back of my truck, to take to the dump, on my way to NV. But I forgot to stop at the dump, and I took my trash along to go shopping in NV. Returning to CA, I drove into the 'bug station' border inspection. The inspector asked me, "What is in the back [of your truck]?" "Nothing" I said, "Oh, that's my trash." He said "You can't bring trash in [to California]." I said "I'm not." He continued to look at the back of my truck. "What is in the blue bag?" he asked. I said "That's my recycling." "It's illegal to bring recycling into California" he said. (***???) I said, "I'm not." He says "What? Where are you coming from?" I said, "I'm not bringing recycling into California." He tells me to not move, and he gets his supervisor. The supervisor asks me the same question, and tells me "You can't bring recycling [used bottles and cans, I guess] into California." I tell him, "I AM IN CALIFORNIA!" [The 'bug station' is in CA, by about ten miles!] [Dumb looks exchanged, back and back again.] Then the super says, "That looks like it is less than 25 pounds... that's OK." And waves me through... (???) ... And pot and illegal aliens are legal, here in Kalifornia... PS: o-i-h, they told you wrong: The are keeping global warming 'air' out of Calipornia. Not 'winter air'.

Replies17
  1. #1hvy 1ton2016-12-27 00:15

    I have some friends from ID that take all their beer cans back to CA when they visit family. He and his brother bailed out of the Central Valley in the late 50's for greener pastures. Probably around the same time my Uncle's family farm was getting hit with orchard tree taxes. All this was well before my time, but California has been over-regulating and creating adverse business conditions for the better part of half a century.

  2. #2DIYDAVE2016-12-27 06:12

    You should've said it was a bag of logic. They wouldn't've known what that is...

  3. #3Jakebreak2016-12-27 06:50

    No they wouldn't of understood a bag of logic. COMMON SENSE has been thrown out the window here in commiefornia too much regulation and taxes.

  4. #4Hobbytime2016-12-27 06:57

    the krazy kalifornians keep stating the USA cant live without them, im kinda wondering how we can keep living with them, most of the craziest dumb laws and regulations start in kalifornia...and that disease has started to spread to many other states...

  5. #5Birken Vogt2016-12-27 10:54

    I am all for secession. Not for the reasons the other yay-hoos are spouting but I'll keep my mouth shut and vote yes if it ever comes to me. I was born here and I am not going out easy. But I agree our policies are dragging the rest of the country down and the whole thing has become unmanageable.

  6. #6DPete2016-12-27 11:33

    It's Kaliforniaism, how free are we? I recently move to a big cattle ranch my wife inherited, they are trying to charge for us pumping our own ground water on our own property to water the cattle. They also lay claim to any rain water that falls and runs off the property, luckily we have several stock ponds that were made in the 60's so they are Grandfathered in otherwise no new dams are allowed. Such BS

  7. #7Birken Vogt2016-12-27 12:18

    On the other hand, sometimes the pendulum can swing the other way like we *might* be seeing on a national level. Time will tell.

  8. #8Jakebreak2016-12-27 16:17

    Hopefully the pendulum will swing the other way sooner or later and get us back on the right track

  9. #9td25c2016-12-27 20:27

    I sure feel for you guys dealing with this issue . That's crazy about the rain water and not allowed to build a pond on your own property . Have some family in central California and get bits of information on the high regulations even in rural areas like your ranch & cattle operation . One comes to mind is it's really hard to put up a second home or residence on the property even though you may own hundreds of acres of ground . It may be based on the water or sewer / septic system how it's regulated . Anything to that DPete ? Would love to get out that way some time & see some of the countryside & desert .

  10. #10old-iron-habit2016-12-27 21:52

    And in southern Minnesota and in north Iowa they tile every low spot in order to farm every acre. Meanwhile every time we get a decent rain everyone down river gets flooded and three weeks later they are crying drought in the tiled areas. And to add insult ti injury up here where we are 90% swamp and the rest lakes, we can not destroy any wetlands, not even fill a 1/4 acre spot to build a new school. Rant over.

  11. #11td25c2016-12-27 21:55

    And no BMX bike's on the boardwalk , LOL ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj6YXF5qh7w Jim D will get a laugh out of that video . :thumbsup

  12. #12Jim D2016-12-27 22:49

    td25c, You made my day!!! Thomas Paine on a BMX bike. "Have a nice day, officer." Right On! Thanks, td! (PS: You said "Would love to get out that way some time & see some of the countryside & desert." The desert in Nevada is way bigger, and is more beautiful than CA desert. But the Redwood Forest coast in CA is something you should see. The big trees are the one thing that is unique to CA. Thanks again.)

  13. #13td25c2016-12-28 20:53

    Ha Ha ! Figured you would get a kick out of the BMX kid taking the cop to school on the law . Hell , you guys need to find that kid , pay for his Law Degree then send him peddling after C A R B on his BMX bike .:yup:thumbsup

  14. #14td25c2016-12-28 21:57

    Thanks for the insight Jim ! If I ever make it out that direction my plan would be to tour & spend time in Arizona , Nevada , & California . Don't want to visit any big cities as I'm a rural hick . Probably would be happy disappearing in the countryside for the winter months checking out ghost towns & old mining sites of the past . Pretty amazing what those people went through just to survive & put food on the table . http://www.legendsofamerica.com/nv-delamar.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodie,_California https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amboy,_California Would sure have to check out Old Tucson studio on the trip . http://oldtucson.com/films-producers-directors/film-history/ You folks got some beautiful country Jim D !:thumbsup

  15. #15Truck Shop2016-12-28 22:59

    I remember the first time through the inspection station at Doris, that was in 1967 I was 11 then. Years later I remember my first trip through the Shasta inspection station. I had a straight load of asparagus going to LA market. The officer wanted to check the load for bugs, so he grabbed about three pounds out of two lugs. Took it inside threw it in a pot and he and the boys had asparagus with their dinner.---I went to junior high in Rancho Cordova, what a place to get away from. Truck Shop

  16. #16DIYDAVE2016-12-29 06:48

    https://youtu.be/qJRKbFOiqUA

  17. #17td25c2017-01-24 22:00

    Just from what I see this early in ....... Pretty optimistic for the construction / dirt moving trades https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog