Any thoughts on KATO machines?
there isn't a dealer within 1200 miles of me so that's a negative . Ive heard good and bad about the older ones but nothing about the new ones . Kato bought IHI and lots of rental houses rented them . Ran a couple of those and they were ok . Nothing bad nothing good just ok .
I had an older J series IHI which was a mid 1990's made machine. That machine had 4 pumps, and I thought then and even years later would say that the multifunctioning and feel of that machine is as good as any mini I have run (and I have run many). I base my decision off a now old machine but thought that machine was certainly at that time, exceptional in the way it operated. I haven't run one since the early 20's and it was a 80NX. They are true Japanese machine sin my view, that have little NA influence especially inside the cab. The results of that is a very spartan interior. Purely functional, no fluff, no additional comfort features like you see in other machines. I assume Kato, which is as I understand solely a name change, that the IHI philosophy still continues. That said, I haven't run a newer IHI/Kato. I received great service from CES when I owned one. However, dealer support has always been the issue with IHI/Kato, the machines themselves, from a functionality standpoint could and I assume still can, run with anything on the market.
From what I have seen the new Kato machine are simple, no frills, but good Japanese quality. My brother frequently rents a 3.5t Kato mini and says it works fine, however he does marvel at how smooth and fast my Kubota is when he uses it. That said, I'd gladly take a Kato over a Sany any day of the week.