Hey Folks, First time poster. I have a trailer that has a hydraulic ramp for loading equipment that keeps blowing apart a cylinder when it is extended. I believe it is caused by excessive pressure from the truck wet line, plus the drivers holding the valve open too long. The trailer is used behind several different trucks but only happens when it is hooked up to (2) certain trucks with higher pressure pumps than the others. Is there some type of bypass or relief valve I can add to the circuit for that cylinder that will stop it from blowing apart?
I think a crossover relief block would work. Relief & Cushion Valves | Hydraulic Valves | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com Relief & Cushion Valves,Hydraulic Valves,Hydraulics, 16 GPM RELIEF VALVE Brand new, PRINCE model RD1850H compact adjustable relief valve. Inline www.surpluscenter.com
What pressure is the cylinder rated for and what pressure is the system set for? Step one right there.
Cylinder is rated at 2500 PSI, the trucks are 3500PSI. Blows the end and piston out of the cylinder if held too long (idiot drivers don't listen). The other cylinders on the trailer work fine.
Two options: 1) Install crossover/pressure relief valve. 2) Install a higher PSI cylinder I'm not mentioning a third option of fixing your drivers. While I agree they could do a better job, the truth is they won't and never will. You fire one and you'll just hire another one that will do the same. When designing systems, the operator is always the common denominator of breakage. That's one of the main reasons (and probably sole reason) while military equipment is so overbuilt. Johnny GI just loves to push everything to its limit...and then some. It doesn't matter how much you train them, yell at them, and threaten them, they will always turn the knob to 11.
You could either turn the truck pressure down or install a relief on that circuit of the trailer (assuming it's a double acting cylinder it shouldn't be too difficult).
If the trucks need the 3500psi for some other application, the relief circuit on the trailer that 92U 3406 mentions above, is the route I would go. Put it between the pressure and return to tank lines on the trailer, so as soon as the pressure hits 2500 it dumps off to tank/ return.
Thanks for all the help guys. I think the relief valve will be the way to go for this, I may also look into a higher pressure cylinder as well.