Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Keeping gaskets in place during assembly

RBMcCloskey ยท 2014-10-27 18:18

A question, what tricks and gadget's are you using to keep gaskets in place during assembly? A Snap On dealer had a neat little clip devise that you pinched it closed and inserted it into the bolt hole past the gasket, when you release it, two tabs held the gasket in place, after the bolts were started in other holes, you pinched it closed and pulled it out, and inserted the bolt. Anyone else use them? Is there anything like it out there? Thanks, Bob

Replies6
  1. #1GSD13502014-10-27 18:27

    Loctite Hi-tack gasket sticks, their awesome! http://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/LOCTITE-Hi-Tack-Gasket-Dressing-1LLT2

  2. #2Old Doug2014-10-27 18:30

    I have some of those that have 5/16 bolt treads on one end. Most of the time i glue the gasket to one side of were it goes.I dont work on the same kind of truck,car or machine very often or i would look into other ways.

  3. #3partsandservice2014-10-27 19:11

    I use 3m general trim adhesive on one side as well. You can spray this and align gasket while glue is still wet.

  4. #4FSERVICE2014-10-28 00:10

    I use the 3M super weather strip adhesive, AKA "monkey snot" cause its yellow slimey stuff but works great, I also have used the Locktite brand as well with good results

  5. #5OCR2014-10-28 15:17

    Interesting, that sounds like the description of a "cleco, or cleko"... primarily used in the aviation industry... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleko http://mrotools.com/cleco-fasteners.aspx http://www.panamericantool.com/cleco-fasteners.html OCR

  6. #6fixou8122014-10-28 19:26

    Could have used something on these Looks easy enough but it's a pain. what a bitch getting all the bolts out was the hardest part.