Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Keeping varmits out of equipment

clansing1 ยท 2011-06-06 23:00

Is there a way to keep rodents/vermin/varmits (raccoons, mice, possums, etc) from using the engines and cab compartments of dozers and excavators as free lodging area? They like to use the insulation as bedding as opposed to bringing their own. When we work in a wooded area next to water, this seems to be a problem. Thanks in advance. P.S. I've tried NO VACANCY signs, but it does deter them.

Replies16
  1. #1monkey2011-06-06 23:07

    Catch a snake and give him free room and board

  2. #2clansing12011-06-06 23:10

    Our snakes are small and wimpy in Iowa. Very little predators except for the ones that the DNR imports and release and guys with guns.

  3. #3OldandWorn2011-06-06 23:14

    I can't give advice for the other animals but give "Cab Fresh" a try in the cab or any inclosed area for the mice. It has worked 100% for me and it smells pretty good too.

  4. #4Orchard Ex2011-06-07 20:33

    I tried Cab Fresh this past winter and it worked for me too. Kinda pricey for what you get but it does work. Plus it smells like Christmas!

  5. #5Jimbo2011-06-07 20:41

    Our camp cook left anti static (dryer sheets) EVERYWHERE a couple years ago in a house used only 6 weeks out of the year, and guess what??? NO MICE!!!!!!!!!! Apparently they work.

  6. #6OldandWorn2011-06-07 20:50

    Yeah....sort of the same principle as the Cab Fresh. They don't like strong smells because it takes away an important sense.

  7. #7clansing12011-06-07 23:15

    Varmits My biggest concern is the raccoons. Any thoughts on those? Thanks.

  8. #8cutting edge2011-06-08 01:21

    wolves...you need some wolves.

  9. #9HSV1272011-06-08 04:45

    Work 24/7, haha

  10. #10OldandWorn2011-06-08 06:24

    Just as a cheap experiment try the dryer sheets. Get the most heavily scented ones that are on the shelf. I don't know how long your machines sit but replace them out often to keep the smell level high.

  11. #11Hawkeye2011-06-08 21:53

    What part of Iowa do you live in? If the coons are that bad leave a battery operated radio on, Good Luck

  12. #12grandkobelco2011-06-09 06:19

    How about a good hound dog tied to the machine at night? But no joke, I have sean plenty of damedge when racoons hide between fans and radiaters, in the fall when the weather cools and they are looking for warm places to sleep.

  13. #13OMB2011-06-18 20:51

    Past few years I have had trouble with mice, especially in the seat in the excavators, have used mothballs with fairly good results, they'll last about 4-6 months.... don't know if your coons will find them objectionable. When I had my excavator at home for a while, my chickens found it and laid eggs- alot- behind the batteries. After a few month the stench forced me to clean it up. When my buddy pumped my septic tank, I had him suck the rotten eggs- it was so bad he said it stank up his vac truck!

  14. #14LWG2011-06-18 23:12

    There is a packet called Fresh Cab. It's supposed to be non toxic and last for months. I bought it at a pilot's supply shop, as critter get in airplanes, too. I don't know how well it works yet. I'll let you know.

  15. #15qball2011-06-20 00:06

    http://www.earthkindstore.com/servl...t-rid/Detail?gclid=CPSWj8vNw6kCFUa8Kgodc13KJQ

  16. #16Greg2011-06-21 21:24

    Put a bag of old fashioned moth balls in the cab. Will keep critters out.