Well I just rolled into Bardstown KY,after a ten hour drive from Pa. I am here for a few days visiting the in-laws:drinkup. Anyway I have noticed that all the cuts along the roadways around here are solid rock that has been blasted. It looks like there is only 1-2 feet of dirt on top of the rock.Has anybody worked around here? How in the he%@ do you dig anything around here? It seems to be like that everywhere.
Southern indiana is the same way Reuben.While your here you should make the trip to louisville for the kentucky derby this weekend.Without limestone,we would not have gravel for the roads.
Good advice 25c. And yes, Reuben, it's Limestone, as 25c said. This part of the country is loaded with it. Some farms around here have so much of it we call them "rock farms", because there's so much of it outcropping the ground that you can't plow it, just have to raise livestock. It's funny you should mention this Limestone however. You see, that Limestone in the water is what gives a distinct flavor to Kentucky Bourbon. Bourbon was made in KY back in the 1700's, and a good number of the early distillers were Pennsylvanians fleeing taxation during the "Whiskey Rebellion". Seems a Pennsylvanian has "headed west again" and found the Limestone.
Well,limestone& Kentucky bourbon are both great assets.Hope you have a good time reuben visiting in kentucky.Just be careful,you might start to enjoy it like I do.Next thing you know ,you will want to move here.We have room for pennsylvanian's.Everyone is welcome in south Indiana , Kentucky and Tennessee.
We have the limestone back in Pa also, I have guys rippin and hauling it all week.. but man you have to dig for it.state college area has an abondance of it.In pa the lime stone is almost blue,about the color of this guy here It just seems so shallow and different colored out here. As far as the derby goes believe me I now it running this weekend,,my wife has reminded me everyday for the last week,she loves horses.Do you know were I can get two tickets CHEAP. i heard you cant touch em for under $200 oh ya I always come out every other year for the ICUEE. Any one else go to that or plan on going?
That's pretty much the entire state. limestone(mostly) and sandstone everywhere. Mostly we move the small rock blast the big ones and use hammers to clean things up. needless to say gravel roads are still very popular. Hammers are a popular excavator item around here kind of like the european use of rotators on their excavators everybody has one or three, and depending on hte size of the company at least one drill rig and explosives man. the larger companies will have on average 2 drills to one shot crew. Anybody wanna go fishing? :naughty (just kidding)
like this stuff? Stock
you got it
Hmmm Sounds like fun. We are one giant sand box down here in South Carolina. How is the market there in Kentucky I wonder? Are guys getting by or are there a lot of machines on the market? Jesse
Been bidding a lot of KDOT work lately in Louisville. Strong union market with a lot of rental capacity. Many of the big players, at least in KDOT work, are seasonal/job specific renters with union operators. It has been a slow winter with two lettings dropped off the schedule. Now, there is a feeding frenzy. In a few weeks, I-65 will be one continuous work zone pretty much from Louisville to E-Town. I-64 will get some major interchange work also. That's just this month's letting.... The water company and sewer authority are bidding big work at the same time. They're well into a new arena downtown, that had a floor colapse during a pour this week...... Looks good now. Hope it isn't a flash in the stimulous pan.:beatsme The whole state is beautiful with great people and places to see and learn about. Lots of distilleries to tour as well!:drinkup
Kentucky Derby "mine that bird" wins the 135th Kentucky derby.The 3 year old colt from New Mexico and jockey Calvin Borel pulled of a miracle run though the mud .I wasent there ,but I always listen to the race on the radio every year.Its a tradition for my familly,We grill out the afternoon of the race, have a few beers ,then turn up the volume when the race starts.
At 50 to 1, I wished I had placed a bet:Banghead
Thats a big 10-4 Red Bank.The 50 to 1 long shot was one of the biggest upsets in the 135 year history of the race.
There's always Kentucky Bourbon.
Job wise for the most part mostly business as usual I guess. farmers still want land cleared and the odd city/county job comes along. As expected though not much residential clearing or work going on but many established homeowners are needing odd things done. Over the summer I'm lined up for 3 jobs with the D6 and 8 jobs rangin from tile installation to electrical and plumbing work and one engine to rebuild. I guess all the certifications and skills I picked up are only good to me when self-employed?
Gotta go where the work is. Money earned is better than none at all. Sounds like you got a lot of good survival skills there....
:iagree:scool Jim Beam Goooooood sippin Bourbon:usa:drinkup
Jim Beam black label great sippin bourbon:usa:drinkup
To seethat horse go from dead last to a win by 6 1/2 length was amazing. He worked through that field like they were litarally standing still. And the fact that it was a $9500 dollar horse that was trailered from New Mexico on the back of a pick up truck is amazing in it's self.