I have the trailer abs light on in my 2007 T800. I determined that there wasnt getting any power between the wire going to the trailer wire plug and the in dash fuse. I repaired that problem and now when you turn the key on you can hear the abs on the trailer cycle but the abs light in the dash and the trailer stays on. Is that something the dealer would have to reset or is there another problem maybe?
Have you driven it yet? I know after replacing wheel sensors on both Kenworth and Peterbilt trucks, the ABS lamp wont reset until you make a brake app over 10 MPH. Trailers... Im not sure. havent had that kind of fun yet.
What does the ABS on a truck do? At the place were i work part time one driver says his front brakes are doing to much. This is on a 97 frieghtliner single axle air brake strait truck. The other truck the driver said he dosent have very good brakes. It is a 2000 IH that pulls a grain trailer. I just looked at it today and their is some oil in the air tanks. Both of them have alot of rust on their ? triger wheels? were the sensors are. Can you disable the system?
Have not driven yet but I will take it for a spin and see what happens.
ABS is designed to modulate the braking force on a particular axle if the sensors pickup any wheel lockup, I.E. skidding. I doubt either issue you described have anything to do with ABS. Rust on the tone wheel should have no effect on reading the sensor signal. Pulling the ABS fuse will disable the system in most trucks. I think both trucks you described have issues unrelated to the ABS. Brake adjustment, drum condition, friction materials, etc. make huge differences in braking efficiency. Also, on the single rear truck, If somebody has replaced the rear service relay valve with one having a higher " cracking" pressure. that could make the front brakes do more than they should. I have to chase this kind of issue all the time. Hope i helped.
Thanks RZucker. The single axle truck i put new shoes and drums on it yesterday thinking this was a good place to start. They were geting to the point were they were needing to be replaced. Also the front shocks are bad and maybe that is makeing it feel like more is going on up front. I will replace them this week. If its not better i will check out the relay valve.