Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Walmart Concept truck

still learn'n ยท 2014-03-30 00:10

http://www.overdriveonline.com/phot...03-27-2014&utm_campaign=OVD&ust_id=1e865e4b37 How would it be to drive a truck like this? Do these concept trucks hit the road or is it just concept? Jerry

Replies6
  1. #1Dozerboy2014-03-30 20:43

    Interesting. I saw a show years ago about a guy across the pond building a truck like this. I think its a long way from becoming main steam though. The was a good point in the comments below. Bet the sucker would be a hand full or on its side in the wind unloaded.

  2. #2LT-x72014-03-30 21:05

    I wonder what that baby cost to make? All carbon fiber trailer.... My guess would be 7 figures.... That article sure is confusing without much detail..... I can see how it could run on diesel, gas & bio. But natural gas too, how does that work? It also says they partnered with Allison, does that mean it has a transmission hooked to the electric drive motor?

  3. #3712alberta2014-03-30 22:40

    It also says it uses a turbine engine, thats how they could get around it. I'm no turbine engine expert by any means, but i believe if its flammable the engine can run on it.

  4. #4lantraxco2014-03-30 22:56

    Any diesel engine can be made to run on natural gas, or propane, or at least the majority of it with a little diesel to make her fire. Making a diesel capable of switching back and forth to gasoline, now there you would have to get in the wayback machine and visit International or Allis, yeah?

  5. #5kshansen2014-03-31 05:31

    Allison has also worked on gas turbines so that may be the connection, no pun intended!

  6. #6Dozerboy2014-03-31 21:40

    That my understanding. Guys that like to tinker build them out of old turbos at home. Pretty cool