Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kenworth air tanks

ahart · 2023-11-13 15:11

The air reservoir tanks on my truck (2007 KW T300) are starting to leak from corrosion as is expected here in the Midwest on a 17 yr old truck. Kenworth apparently wants $630 for each one and there are 3. Outside has 2 ports, one in the middle with a plug and the bottom one is a drain valve. Inside has Five 1/2” ports and one 1/4” port. 8” diameter and 25” long, strap mount under the battery box. I’ve dug around on Dorman’s site and can’t come up with one I’m satisfied will replace them. Hate to bite the bullet on $1900 for air tanks but I might have to. Anyone got any other options??

Replies32
  1. #11693TA2023-11-13 15:28

    I have two under one of my Mack trucks that corroded out and I sawed the end bells clear in my bandsaw, had center sections rolled and I welded them back together as a new tank. The old bungs were reutilized as they were removed with a hole saw in a drill press prior to sawing the tank(s). I have done the same with a Mack step tank and it's now an oil tank for a wet kit. All these tanks were steel, but I'd have done the same with aluminum.

  2. #2Truck Shop2023-11-13 15:42

    The reason--too many truck configurations for identical aftermarket replacement tanks. It's either adapt a close aftermarket or OEM-and because of the price of fittings plus time it's a better deal to buck up and buy the OEM and be done with it. Plus it's back to stock configuration.

  3. #3heymccall2023-11-13 15:55

    No chance at part number?

  4. #4ahart2023-11-13 16:35

    G86-1141 which really makes a lot of difference because I’ve already seen them at $285 with that PN. That’s more in the ball park of not making me angry. https://nickstruckparts.com/products/airtank-172-5941-air-tank-kenworth

  5. #5Truck Shop2023-11-13 16:41

    Buy It then---don't let it get away, there's 35 watchers.

  6. #61693TA2023-11-13 19:04

    This be my air tank cutting bandsaw: This is the tank I've converted to an oil tank for a wet kit but have not used yet. I've replaced most of the bottom of this one and deepened the original sump: This is another end bell from a scrap tank that was crushed on the other end. I take these out to rebuild an otherwise scrap tank: One of these days once the need arises, I'll cut this one open and repair the crushed area bringing it back to original form and weld it back together: Boy a good shop cleaning would be in order. I got so much crap piled in so many places it's difficult to find what's needed sometimes. I have a little stand around here I built from channel and metal casters with one of the casters driven by hydraulic motor which is variable speed. It works very well for welding seams in tanks and generates very linear welds putting the end bells back into tanks.

  7. #7ahart2023-11-13 19:22

    Nope, just more places posting crap they don’t actually have.

  8. #8Tyler d4c2023-11-13 19:27

    Since we are on the subject of tanks here's how we did the hydro tank on dump trucks. Not the right solution because the guy who made it (me) about put diesel in the hydro the other day. With employees it would probably happen.

  9. #91693TA2023-11-13 19:57

    Yep, decals only go so far but when you have the same employees long term it's usually not a problem. I usually stencil Hydraulic Oil Only in yellow on the tanks afterward if used in that application. Blast and paint the filler caps bright yellow also.

  10. #10crane operator2023-11-13 20:10

    8" x 29" but the clips push them to 32". Probably 28-29" at the tank. Probably be into the driveline? Salesforce B2B Commerce www.fleetpride.com Vander Haags has three of them, but they look like they may be rustier than what you have. Kenworth T370 Air Tank for Sale Kenworth T370 Air Tank for sale. Enjoy our hassle-free online checkout or call to speak to an expert. www.vanderhaags.com I sure hope the pictures of the hydraulic tank projects has helped in your search. Want me to post some pics of the alternator I fixed last week?

  11. #11Tyler d4c2023-11-13 21:56

    I believe the point is that the old air tanks can very likely be rebuilt if need be

  12. #12Truck Shop2023-11-13 22:04

    Or just go buy the oem--weren't going to take that money with you anyway. I love watching stepping over five to pickup---.

  13. #13ahart2023-11-14 04:28

    I’m not currently stepping over anything. I’m more than willing to spend what it takes to fix it but I’m also not ignorant to other peoples experiences and opinions which is why I put it out there. I specifically thought you might be able to offer a source with the experience you have. Used isn’t an option as long as new is available, repairing what I have is a last resort as I don’t have down time to spare. Nearly equivalent aftermarket is what I was searching for, I’ll probably just buy OEM if I can’t accomplish that.

  14. #14Truck Shop2023-11-14 06:41

    It's an air tank for **** sake-what does a air do besides hold air? It rots.-In my years I have never found a true fit aftermarket air tank replacement for anything. I found out years ago when it comes to trucks you can waste allot of time and labor trying to make fit or just buck up.

  15. #151693TA2023-11-14 06:46

    I still have a couple of R model Mack fuel tanks on a shelf with one being repaired and ready to install. Used to see these things often and being around them so much they were always either donated for rebuild rather than scrap, or one of my rebuilds was installed and the defective taken in as a "core". Usually rusted under the straps so cut the end bells free, have the center section rolled to diameter and put them back together. Several continue to be run. I found it a great way to keep a couple of guys off the unemployment roles when times were slow, or work lacking in the short duration.

  16. #16ahart2023-11-14 06:49

    I think you’ve made your point truckshop. No need to drive it home, it’s not helpful.

  17. #17Truck Shop2023-11-14 06:51

    Yeah yeah yeah.

  18. #18Old Doug2023-11-14 07:43

    It gos back to cheap,easy, available pick one.

  19. #19crane operator2023-11-14 07:48

    I couldn't find anything else in 8" with that length. If the oem can get them, it looks like that's the route. The only other thing I came up with was https://www.hoosiertank.com/ They are local to you in indiana. They make a 8" tank, just not in your length. Might be worth a phone call.

  20. #20ahart2023-11-14 08:00

    Thanks craneop, thankfully my truck isn’t down so I’ve got time to check around a bit before giving up.

  21. #21Vetech632023-11-14 08:02

    Didn't there used to be some type of sealing liquid for that? I seem to recall someone in the past putting that in a leaking air tank and running it for years afterwards. .............or am I dreaming?

  22. #22cuttin edge2023-11-15 19:35

    One of the western stars needed a tank. There was a new one on a star that had been in an accident a couple years ago. They went to get it, and someone had helped themselves to it, and the other 3. I believe it was a crazy price as well. That's the good side of an oil leaking air compressor, it keeps the tanks from rusting inside.

  23. #23Truck Shop2023-11-15 19:42

    Couldn't pick a worse brand for needing a tank, and yeah the price.

  24. #24Old Doug2023-11-16 07:36

    This is on a truck were i work they had a truck repair shop put a pump on it so it could pull a fuel tanker trailer. They had all kinds of pin holes were they welded the end back on . I Think at the time i would fix it and try to find a tank later but that was several years ago. I ended up running a wide bead over their weld and sealing it up. This wasnt the only problem so the next truck i put the pump on. The big problem with a lot of places the out fit trucks is the mechanics have never been around a truck like their building and have no ideal how it should work. I could write a book on how i went back and made a ok set up into a good working one .

  25. #25cfherrman2023-11-16 13:20

    Pressure vessel with fuel inside of it being welded Legit

  26. #26heymccall2023-11-16 14:00

    Half the money Automann Air Tank Kenworth 172.5941 Specifications Attribute Value Trailer / Truck Truck Diameter (In) 8.000" Chambers Single Length 28.000" Tank Material Steel Brackets None End Ports (A) (5) 1/2" NPT, (1) 1/4" NPT Tank End Ports (B) (1) 1/2" NPT, (1) 1/4" NPT Cross Reference Name Part Number Notes Paccar G86-1141 Air Tank Paccar... hdpartspro.com Sorry, missed previous price.

  27. #27ahart2023-11-16 14:08

    That’s the tank I’m looking for, I’m pretty sure they are lying about their stock, I’ve got that tank locked down locally for $300 each, there is a 45 day lead time which I can deal with no problem.

  28. #28Truck Shop2023-11-16 18:53

    Block that TS out of here.

  29. #29ahart2024-03-09 11:31

    Well 120 days later, patience or “stepping over five dollars to pick up…something” or however you want to refer to it, paid off. Got exactly the same tank kenworth was offering for $630 each for $338 each. They’re installed and fit same as factory. I’d be willing to bet they’re made right beside the kenworth ones. I’m glad I waited, the money I saved paid for the tanks (almost) with no sacrifice in quality or fit.

  30. #30crane operator2024-03-09 11:53

    45 day lead time was a "best case" Ha. Where did you end up getting them from?

  31. #31ahart2024-03-09 12:37

    Total Truck Parts In Indianapolis. They got them somewhere in Illinois.

  32. #32mekanik2024-03-09 14:38

    Kenworth used to have an air tank that had compartments for the wet tank and secondary tank. The dealer here in BC wanted $2500 for a replacement tank