Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kenworth T300

BAD5oh ยท 2011-03-04 18:22

After years of driving a 1990 International 4900 single axle dump with a 185hp DT466 and 5+2 with 308k miles, we finally put a down payment on a newer truck. Looked everywhere and for the money, pics, and info I recieved it was worth the trip to look at Drove 4 hrs to NY this morning to look at a 2005 t300 single axle tractor. Has a 315hp ISC Cummins and 10spd fuller. Air ride suspension. Going to pick it up next week and put a 10ft dump body on it. Really had nothing to compare it to since the other truck I always drove was not even close. Truck drove really well and cannot wait to get the big rig wannabe home Anyone have any thoughts on the truck?? Good or bad I would love to know.

Replies6
  1. #1stumpjumper832011-03-04 19:14

    Thats the what I'd like to gt for my next truck as well kw t300, pete 330 or maybe a freightliner fl80. 300hp more or less, jake & air ride. 8-12' box, pintle hitch and air to the rear.

  2. #2grandpa2011-03-04 19:38

    Well in my opinion air ride suspension does not make a good dump truck..... but that my 3cents (due to inflation).

  3. #3Colorado Digger2011-03-04 19:58

    small dump trucks we have an ih 6 wheeler. it has moved thousands of yards of dirt..6-7 yards at a time. finally quit using for dumping.. every now and then. mostly a transport for skids, mini's, compacters and gravel/trench boxes. anything would be an upgrade. you will be very happy with your new purchase. these days i am all about hauling 13-15 ton at a time so the little trucks are a bit bit different. but every truck has it's place.

  4. #4k.key2011-03-04 20:31

    I've got a few customers that use t-300's in a variety of applications, I have not heard or seen alot of horror stories about the ISC.... Eaton trans, T300 chassis. I dont think you can go wrong. I fact I'm a bit jealous I want one for my next service truck. Have fun they are great driving trucks.

  5. #5BAD5oh2011-03-05 10:42

    There is also a switch on the dash for the air suspension. One way says normal and the other says deflate. Is that an adjustable switch for ride height in the cab? If not is it one way or the other? I have seen many 10 wheel and tri axle dumps lower the rear for some reason before dumping. What is the reason they do it and is that what i could/should use the switch for?

  6. #6Orchard Ex2011-03-05 10:56

    That switch deflates the air bags. Deflating them makes the truck more stable for dumping the body. Always dump the bags before you raise the body.