Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Key Board

Grader4me ยท 2011-07-19 05:04

Since I installed a new hard drive (could be just a coincidence) my keyboard is acting strange. I'll be typing and the next thing I know it will jump into a previous typed sentence. Or it will jump back into a sentence that I'm typing. I make sure that I'm not touching the mouse pad or any other function while I'm typing..:Banghead

Replies12
  1. #1Stevenbrla2011-07-19 07:34

    Grader, I had that happen to a dell laptop before, AND it's happening on my dell laptop now. On the previous one, (owned by my employer) they changed the wiring between the monitor and the computer and that fixed it. A technician that worked on this one several months ago asked me if I was having this problem... said it was common for that wire/connector to wear out.... I think its a simple fix... I've been too lazy to get this one fixed though.

  2. #2Grader4me2011-07-19 17:43

    Thanks..I think its time for a new laptop

  3. #3RonG2011-07-20 04:05

    If you had to remove the keyboard to replace the harddrive on your laptop you may need to reseat the ribbon cables in the connectors.They can sometimes be fussy about how they get seated when you replace them.I would look there first for a cure whether you removed them or not.Be very careful with the latches on the cable connectors as they are easy to break.Ron G

  4. #4Grader4me2011-07-20 05:05

    Good Morning Ron, the hard drive on my laptop just slides in and out. I think the old girl is just wearing out.

  5. #5grandpa2011-07-20 06:10

    :falldownlaugh The laptop is easily replaced, but your stuck with the old girl.

  6. #6Grader4me2011-07-20 17:15

    Gramps...you forget who you're talking to....lol..Think about it for a bit...

  7. #7TractorSteve2011-08-31 11:56

    Hahahahaha

  8. #8digger242j2011-08-31 20:57

    Annnnnnnnnnnny suggestionnnnnnnnnns onnnnnnnnnnnn how to get chocolllllllllllate puddinnnnnnnnnnnnnng out frommmmmmmmm betweennnnnnnnnnn the kkkkkkkkkkkkkeys ?????????????????? :bash (Actually, it happened a few days ago, thanks to my darling daughter. :Banghead I turned it on its side and used the Shop Vac, before it got dried up, and surprisingly enough, it's working just fine. )

  9. #9Phill2011-08-31 21:40

    this might sounds odd, but you can wash your key board ( non lap top), just make sure you uplug it from your comp first and let it dry completly before pluging back in ( wait 24 hours or so)

  10. #10Geraldo2012-02-29 15:53

    Trick i learned a while back that i have used on cell phone, keybored, and believe it or not a old laptop i had is to make sure the item has no battery in it and no power supply put the bath water on very hot and dunk the item into it and keep moving it around until it cleans out everything when your done get a air tight container can be tuperware, ziplock bag, anything that can fit the item before putting the item in you have to make sure to use air compressor or something to clean out as much water as you can, then put dry rice into the container the stuff that is completely dry that comes in the big bags then put the item in there ans seal it and put it into a warm room. While its in the room the water will start to turn into moisture but instead of it collecting above on the lid (condensation) the dry rice will absorb the water and in 24 hours you will have no water in the item at all.

  11. #11HobbyBuilder2012-05-25 15:48

    Umm... While this may have worked with older equipment, this is not recommended for anybody to try. With modern electronics, there are more places that water can become stuck in. Also, even though you may take the main battery out of it, most electronics have small rechargable backup batteries (some cellphones even have these). However... As long as you disassemble the keyboard, and remove the circuit board, the keyboard should be 100% safe to wash.

  12. #12sparker102012-06-27 10:34

    Yeah I agree with the above I wouldn't dunk my keyboard in any water without first removing the circuit board. I have a good little device that acts like a brush and vacuum that is purposely been designed for keyboards...just trying to remember where I bought it from.... wasn't even that expensive.