Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Killer roll pin

Outasite ยท 2013-12-23 19:27

Some members may remember in the early to mid ninetys dodge trucks,with the 5.9 cummins engine had an problem with the timing gear roll pin coming out,getting caught in the timing gear and trashing the engine.It was called the "killer roll pin" Now to the point,My son just bought a very nice 1997-1845c Case that has the cummins B engine.That is basically a 6BT with two cylinders cut off.Has anyone ever had a pin drop,and engine failure on one of the cummins powered cases.Thanks

Replies14
  1. #1partsandservice2013-12-23 19:39

    The pin is a dowel for gear train cover. There was a update cover that would not let this dowel fall out. ?? As to which one you have. I have seen it happen on the Case. The cover can be repaired to prevent with a tack weld on the inside and the job can be done in frame .

  2. #2Outasite2013-12-23 20:17

    Thanks for the reply,I seem to remember there was a repair option of using a templet and drilling the cover,Then staking the pin and plugging the hole.Dont remember it all.But it was something like that.Its hard to think that one would come out after 3100 hrs.But it would be just his luck!!!

  3. #3barklee2013-12-23 21:05

    They are very easy to make one...... I actually just watched a video on youtube and came across that. I couldnt find it just now but if you search around im sure you will find it. I was seaching cummins overhaul or something like that. Guy made it look pretty easy and it only took 5 minutes to make the part.

  4. #4Outasite2013-12-23 21:24

    Thanks,I'll take a look around!!Now that it looks like the case model cummins are not immune to the problem,we will getter done.---Although I mite check with case,and see if there is a serial number break where they fixed the problem.

  5. #5Canadian_digger2013-12-23 22:03

    I think it may also be called killer dowel pin. You can also try searching that for more info/how to.

  6. #6Outasite2013-12-24 05:51

    You are correct it is a dowel pin.I have found lots of info on repair,but have not found a link to the templet yet.Thanks,Bob BTW,In hind site A roll pin may have been a better choice in that application.

  7. #7joestewart2013-12-24 06:52

    How about the template in the following article? http://dieseldatabase.com/dodge-cummins-12v-dowel-repair/?id=111 Scroll about 1/3 down the webpage. Or instead of making a blocking tab, you could simply peen the edges of the drilled hole in which the pin sits, preventing it from ever coming out. That's what I did on my Dodge.

  8. #8ValleyFirewood2013-12-24 06:53

    Ok, I posted in this thread right after post #4 but it's not there?! This is the 3rd or 4th time this has happened in the last couple weeks. I post something and it's gone later on. Is someone erasing them? My post had some info on the killer dowel pin is all. I'm not sure when updated timing covers were put in full force. The bulletin Cummins had out was just for the 6BT P7100 (1994-97) engines BUT I have seen some loose pins in the VP44 engines. Haven't worked on any 4BTs, but have heard it's an issue on them as well. I'm not sure what the official Cummins update was. I've seen some timing housings that had the dowel pin hole shouldered so it couldn't come out, and I've also seen the actual sheetmetal cover with a bumpout so the dowel pin couldn't come out. Edit: That tab is for the 6BT, but I'm pretty sure on the 4BT the timing cover is a bit different and it won't work. In any case it's quite simple to fab something real quick, it doesn't need to be precise by any means. The jig deal... I don't know who came up with that, but it's not worth it. You need to pull the cover and check all the bolts along with the dowel pin. I've seen some that many bolts where loose. My buddy found one that a couple bolts where in the oil pan and one bolt was sitting on top of the gear just spinning when the gear turned. Somehow it just stayed there and didn't go through the housing!

  9. #9Outasite2013-12-24 09:11

    The loose bolt thing is good to know,My plan was to drill the cover on the machine.Go in with a punch and peen the pin hole then plug the drill hole.And not pull the cover.

  10. #10Andrew_D2013-12-24 11:27

    Fixed the link: http://dieseldatabase.com/dodge-cummins-12v-dowel-repair Andrew

  11. #11Outasite2013-12-24 18:15

    Andrew,thanks that will be a big help!.

  12. #12thehemikid2013-12-25 04:37

    What about this fix? Found it on a You tube video.

  13. #13ValleyFirewood2013-12-25 05:43

    I suppose you could but I think it would be near impossible to not get any metal into the engine. It's usually not that much work to pull the cover off. I'm not sure on the skid steer though, I haven't worked on a Case machine. I know Bobcats can be a PITA... sometimes need 6ft arms that are 1/2" thick with 12 joints and gorilla strength.

  14. #14Outasite2013-12-25 09:55

    On covers like that we normally drill a very small hole with grease on the bit,Then use a taper punch to I inlarge the hole.That leaves the edge rolled inword,and gives you material to use a pipe tap on,also greased.It may not get every chip but it don't miss much.And sometimes in the end it may be cleaner that pulling it apart in a dirty environment.