I 've seen this machines in the trade magazines, this was at a local rental place. The factory rep had dropped it off for them to play with, but at 230K they were going to pass on buying it. 81' of boom, other models go up to 150'! Made in Italy I believe. I climbed in the cab and it was super impressive, as would be expected for that kind of money. Nothing like a brand new unused piece of equipment, they are fun to look at.
A company near us has one. They have their place but for what they cost.....
I was looking at buying 3.5 years ago, went a different direction.
POS IMO. Had 2 or 3 Manitou rotating telehandlers at a rental shop I used to work at. Pain the butt to work on, tech support is ****. Tempermental as ****. Can't you tell I just LOVE those machines???
Its just a way to get around the crane operator certification requirements. Let's build a machine that is pretty much a crane, but we'll call it a telehandler and put it in the rental houses and on jobsites for anyone to run. The one's I've seen all have a winch and short boom attachment for the mast. How is it not a crane then? There's a rental house up in Kansas City that is pushing them pretty hard. Its simply a more capable telehandler, but I don't think they will stand up to the abuse that the standard "rental house" telehandlers, get subjected to.
I sure could have used one the other day. Was using a standard telehandler and all kinds of problems. I did not know they made these. Remember we do not all work on job sites that are flat nor can easily get the machine squared up to the lift the way we would like to.
CO you are correct. Actually you are all correct. Rented one a couple of years ago for a bridge job. It was handy in the fact that it required less room to get in tight places. They won't take the abuse rental machines get, they are a pain to work on and as I told the owner of the company when he wanted to buy one. No..NO...NO. Rent one when you need it and only when you need it. The one we had worked well but I could see down the road with all the sensors that were on it it was going to be a maintenance nightmare. Definitely a machine that is cheaper to rent than to own. IMHO
That's probably one of the worst places for one of these. They won't frame tilt like a standard telehandler, so a sloping site is pretty difficult, they have to get leveled up to work right. On a real steep sidehill going with the hill (cross slope, not up and down), I would rather rent a telehandler than try to get my 15 ton galion in there, simply because the frame tilts on the telehandler. The galion wants to roll over. But there are jobs I go do with my little 15 ton crane, that I couldn't do with a telehandler, simply because the galion can swing sideways, where there's not room to turn a telehandler sideways. If its flat enough to get it in there. Its like every other piece of equipment, it has its place. I don't think the rental house pushing these that I'm familiar with, will rent it out for one- two day jobs. They want month or multiple months, long jobsite rentals.
The thing has outriggers and we know how to move wood around. It would have been the cat's meow for what we were doing. But the rent would probably be far too high if it costs as much as you all are saying. I do like to hire a crane when we can though. Just like I like to hire a mixer truck even for small batches. Comes with another man, use it as long as you need it and then wave goodbye and the operator takes it away. But everything has its place.
Same thoughts Junkyard . It's a cool unit until ya look at the price tag . With that cost a Feller could have multiple dedicated units for each job at hand . We gonna ride it out with the Allis - Chalmers telehandler and Grove crane rigs. HeavyEquipmentForums Be interesting to read this thread 10 years from now ? One thing I have learned over the years is simple " low tech " beat's " high tech " every time in this game .
You don’t need a crane cert now because it is built to get around the rules. Rules can change,when I was younger you didn’t need a CDL to drive truck now you do.