Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Klondike Hwy

Former Wrench ยท 2015-05-04 16:44

This is the Klondike Hwy about 10 miles out of Skagway. The road goes from sea-level to 3,500 ft. in 13 miles. the ore haulers are coming in from way out in the back woods of the Yukon Terr.

Replies11
  1. #1Pixie2015-05-04 17:14

    Thanks for the pictures. Interesting bridge.

  2. #2Former Wrench2015-05-04 17:56

    One of a kind; 1/2 suspension that has a built in curve. It is on the Historic Register and we are getting ready to modernize the highway. The bridge will stay, but will be replaced by a huge concrete culvert to channel the river in the bottom of the gully. It will be quite a project since there is a lot of fast moving water when it is not frozen. The highway will move closer to the hillside and go over the culvert.

  3. #3245dlc2015-05-04 22:22

    Are they hauling ore from the Faro mine still or maybe Mayo? My dad use to work up that way in '70's.

  4. #4Knocker of rock2015-05-05 00:37

    Actually a cable stayed bridge, not a suspension bridge. Here is one of similar design with a single tower

  5. #5Scrub Puller2015-05-05 01:00

    Yair . . . one of those in Tassie too . . . not on a bend though. As I understand it they couldn't find suitable bedrock on the southern side. I would like to see more pictures of those haul trucks. Cheers.

  6. #6Knocker of rock2015-05-05 10:55

    Just to be clear, the bridge isn't curved, one approach is. While the locals probably want to think this bridge is unique, it isn't doing anything, or built another way, than many other bridges.

  7. #7Former Wrench2015-05-05 11:49

    I believe the trucks are hauling out of Faro.

  8. #8Scrub Puller2015-05-05 15:43

    Yair . . . As an old Aussie who has spent a life time working in desert or tropical conditions I always enjoy looking at real world pictures taken by folks living and working in snow and ice. . . what you put up with is almost beyond my imagination. Cheers.

  9. #9wornout wrench2015-05-05 19:24

    I'll tell you scrub, there is know way that I could work in your conditions either. A little heat and I start to melt. Not that I live in the cold or anything, its the rain in my part of the world.

  10. #10JDOFMEMI2015-05-05 20:08

    That sounds like an interesting project. I will be looking forward to more posts about it as you get going. Thanks for the sharing it with us.

  11. #11Former Wrench2015-05-06 16:50

    I found one of the river taken from under the bridge.