Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Know any hydraulic forums? Tool advice?

Speedpup ยท 2008-12-19 19:04

Was looking for a forum on hydraulics if you have any tips. I am a half azz mechanic. I have a bunch of Lulls that need many seals on them. I have done some but knowledge is helpful. Steering cylinders on Spicer axles need seals so I need to remove the end caps which have two slots 180* or straight across the end cap. What is the best tool to remove them? Would a hook spanner wrench work good? They have them on MSC Direct and they give a minimum and maximum size for them. Am I better getting the largest one in the spanner range with the longest hook on the end. I can take a picture and measure them better tomorrow. I need to do all 4 steering cylinders on 4 844 Lulls. I did the rear tilt cylinders on two machines and one hoist cylinder. The second hoist cylinder blew with about 15 minutes of use after I repaired the first one. One machine has a few nicks on the cylinder hoist piston rod. They are smooth to the touch. Can't remember if I filed it or it was done when I bought it in 1986 with 50 hours. Is it worth getting it repaired and what would it cost or what do they do? I saw a company in the soulth that does it in the field. Not sure if they do it up here. New piston rod is 1800 Guess a new seal would lsst a while as it has been in there 23 years and 8000 hours. Sorry for all the questions any help is appreciated. john

Replies3
  1. #1AtlasRob2008-12-21 15:08

    What the hell is an 844 Lull ? As for the second blowing after 15mins ! Are you not aware of Murphy Law

  2. #2roddyo2008-12-21 15:38

    Lull I think he's talking about a Skyjack, Telehandler, or Shooting Boom Forklift. I don't remember what you call them over there. A lot of farmers use them over there don't they?

  3. #3Speedpup2008-12-21 17:34

    yep telehandler or telescopic forklift for my masonry business. yea Murphy's law is always on me.