Hello, I have a 2014 Kobelco ED-160 Blade Runner with a Mitsubishi motor. We have owned this machine nearly 2 years. The first year we had a decent size driveway building project we had purchased this machine to use on. It seemed to have been running fairly normal, and if it was in regen, we would let it run its cycle before shutting it off. The next spring we were using it on a few different projects and noticed it going in to regen more often, and for longer periods of time. At one time I had been running it for a couple hours and it made me stop work and force a regen, which I did. That spring/summer it was unusable, as it was giving us the code 37198 as well as "Exhaust Gas After Treatment Equipment Failure" alternating on the screen and would not allow us to throttle up the machine at all. I could force a regen and it will bump the throttle slightly and show its in regen but with the emissions codes still present, and the DPF gauge not going down at all, no matter how long I let it regenerate. I recently pulled the DPF and cleaned it (no, I didn't just hit it with a pressure washer and call it a day) we used cleaning chemicals and had soot and ash pouring out of the filter. I also dried it initially with a compressor blow gun until no moisture was present, then went over it a few more times. After re-installing, it started and idled better than before, but the codes were still present. Before I cleaned the filter, I unhooked the batteries and reinstalled once everything was put back together. I understand some codes are self clearing and some need to be cleared by the dealer. The nearest dealer is 4+ hours away and doesn't currently have other work this direction so it would be an hourly service call charge, plus $2.25/mile on top just to clear a code. Nobody near us thinks they can clear it either. Is there a work around to clear this code myself, and if not, is anybody familiar with the tool needed to hook up to the computer on the machine and clear it myself? I'd prefer to buy the scan tool and have it on hand in case I ever need to go through things in a pinch. It appears to be a OBDII port, but plugging in my pickup OBDII scanner, it doesn't even power up the tool. A new filter runs $4600 and there only appears to be one in the country. Sorry for the lengthy post, I try to get as much useful information out there the first time.
There used to be a guy on here that worked for a Kobelco dealer. His handle was Mr. Kobelco I think. You might do a google search on the name and heavy equipment forums and see what comes up. I do seem to recall that the diagnostics menus in the machines were available to the end users.
I think you have to use the OBD-II scanner which is used for Mitsubishi diesel engines to read it. Something like this...
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
I hadn't seen the replies above, but we ended up getting the dealer to come out and hook on to the machine. They forced a regen which took several hours, but it's up an running again. Now it seems I can't force a regen with the button after they came by. We try to avoid any idle time, except warming up, in which we bump the throttle up till its above the cold bracket, run it good and hard, and keep finding work for it if its in the middle of a regen before shutting it down.
So after some painful down time. I’m still dealing with this but it turns out that Kobelco has a factory recall to update this system. My machine is heading to a dealer this week. I’ll see if I can post the recall notice