Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco SK 150lc Mark III Swing brake problem

brockott ยท 2014-08-20 13:11

Hello Everyone! I have been searching for an answer to a problem that I am having with my swing motor. I have searched your site and have gathered a few ideas on where to look next but you all seem so knowledgeable that i thought id ask my question directly. A gear in the bottom end of the swing assembly broke and the entire assembly was taken out and rebuilt. Upon reinstalling the swing motor assembly and connecting the hydraulic line everything is functional except for the swing motor brake. It seems that the swing motor brake fails to engage at the end of the swing. It continues to rotate after you release the control, unpowered until friction of the gears stops the swing. From reading other forum post on here I have gotten a couple ideas where to look. -The swing brake solenoid -A pressure relief valve -A hydraulic hose was installed in the wrong location Any insight on where else I should check?

Replies3
  1. #1daof42014-08-20 21:20

    Not to sure if your machine has them but I think it may have .. I got caught out with a similar problem The swing brake doesn't come on until rotation stops, What my problem was ...The Swing Dampening Valves, 1 of them had a broken spring allowing oil to bypass around it,...... wont stop rotating The valves are near the oil line flanges to motor, Also could be cross over relief valve but you should only have the problem in one direction pull them out and check

  2. #2lantraxco2014-08-20 23:16

    No, if for some reason a crossover relief stuck open, it would allow oil flow in both directions. Brake should come on though I would think, unless it burned out. Is there a "Free swing" switch in the cab somewhere?

  3. #3uffex2014-08-21 09:41

    Good day Brockott May we suggest the following if the machine fails to stops satisfactory in both directions the possibilities are more probably either the motor or the check valves mounted in the head of the slew motor. If the fault is only in one direction it is likely that either the shock or relief valves are at fault, you can trouble shoot this by switching the cartridges. If the check valves are the issue be aware to check the seats which normally form part of the motor body so look carefully. You can see the normal way to check out the swing stopping by visiting http://youtu.be/gVDRiO8vL-k . If we can help more find us at excatech.com Kind regards Uffex