Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco SK03…

vinrum ยท 2008-01-24 07:46

Hi guys, I am new to the excavator seen..I am looking at a Kobelco SK03. It was on ebay and never sold, so I was going to throw the people a offer..The only thing it needs is a swing motor..My question is, can the old one be rebuilt? Or will I have to take the plunge and by a new one..My local Dealer tried to sell me a new one, but the price was scary..I was also told it was a GREY MARKET machine..I am not sure what that is?? If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated Thanks Steve

Replies7
  1. #1tonka2008-01-24 08:08

    Um i would stay away from it, its got to be like 15- 20 years old and with the swing motor gone, do ya really want to fix someone else's mess! What is your budget and what would you be using it for?

  2. #2vinrum2008-01-24 10:51

    Sk03 Tonka, I am just looking for a yard machine, alittle land clearing, maybe a few side jobs here and there..It would be a everyday machine. More of a hobby kind of thing..

  3. #3Construct'O2008-01-24 11:01

    Ever get up in the morning with a big headache,then you look out the window and there it is:Banghead That would be my first thought Just save your money rent something first and see how things goes.Just try to get a better machine to start with ,they all wear out way too soon anyway. I enjoy operating them better then mechanicing on them:drinkup:usa

  4. #4iron kid2008-01-24 11:20

    i have a sk 200 ithink its a 1999 did the swing motor in it was not that bad' but being gray iron means u will be looking for parts for weeks. So if u got the time they are workable.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2008-01-24 12:37

    vinrum, do a search on gray market, there's a lengthy thread that explains the downfalls of these machines.

  6. #6dirthog2008-01-24 20:50

    Sko3 If you know what you are looking for some of the gray market machines are not that bad but stick with one that has the same model in a us machine the SK03 is just a K903 in the US market also H&R parts in Buffalo NY has a good selection of parts & there branch in Oregon has a lot of gray market machines for parts.

  7. #7mikef872008-01-24 21:14

    There's a guy from Maine or New Hampshire selling a cat 302.5 in the compact excavator forum.